Why bibs?

New to Cycling? Want some advice? Start here...
ChrisAOnABike
Posts: 1761
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:52 am

Why bibs?

Postby ChrisAOnABike » Mon Nov 26, 2012 18:33 pm

Ok, so I haven't asked any moronic questions for a few days, so I thought I'd better fix that :oops: .

What's the point of bib shorts and tights? I mean, I don't wear braces with me troosies and they don't fall down, so why do I need them with my shorts?

At the moment (for cycling, I mean, not er, right at this moment), I'm wearing padded tights, I have an UnderArmour top, and over the top of that I have a long sleeved jersey. Warm as toast, everything stays nicely put.

What advantage is there having straps over the shoulders, other than to be able to talk in a slightly higher-pitched voice?
Is the gorilla tired yet?

User avatar
baldwin471
Posts: 336
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 20:45 pm

Re: Why bibs?

Postby baldwin471 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 18:52 pm

They don't move. Without the shoulder straps, shorts tend to ride up or fall down when riding. Also, you don't have to tuck your jersey in the back. You don't get a draft up the ars*. And they are much more comfortable.

jonbob78
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 13:21 pm

Re: Why bibs?

Postby jonbob78 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 19:11 pm

+1
Couldn't have put it better myself!

User avatar
southdownswolf
Posts: 1504
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 23:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Why bibs?

Postby southdownswolf » Mon Nov 26, 2012 19:17 pm

baldwin471 wrote:They don't move. Without the shoulder straps, shorts tend to ride up or fall down when riding. Also, you don't have to tuck your jersey in the back. You don't get a draft up the ars*. And they are much more comfortable.


+2

Much more comfy than shorts on the road bike.
http://www.stuartmole.co.uk/

User avatar
Monty Dog
Posts: 20389
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 14:31 pm

Re: Why bibs?

Postby Monty Dog » Mon Nov 26, 2012 19:30 pm

Normal shorts = builder's bum syndrome. + Whilst crouched-over, the waistband digs in around your midriff. Once you've tried a pair you're unlikely to go back.
Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..

Simon Masterson
Posts: 2491
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 15:52 pm

Re: Why bibs?

Postby Simon Masterson » Mon Nov 26, 2012 19:43 pm

Keep in mind also that (I assume, anyway) you don't have a pad in the seat of your normal trousers. Bibs by design hold it in place.

tiredofwhiners
Posts: 598
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 15:38 pm

Re: Why bibs?

Postby tiredofwhiners » Mon Nov 26, 2012 20:05 pm

Once you wear bibs, you'll never willingly go back to just shorts.


ElLawro
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 23:04 pm

Re: Why bibs?

Postby ElLawro » Mon Nov 26, 2012 22:48 pm

southdownswolf wrote:
baldwin471 wrote:They don't move. Without the shoulder straps, shorts tend to ride up or fall down when riding. Also, you don't have to tuck your jersey in the back. You don't get a draft up the ars*. And they are much more comfortable.


+2

Much more comfy than shorts on the road bike.


keep your tummy warm too :lol:

User avatar
Navrig
Posts: 1307
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 21:29 pm

Re: Why bibs?

Postby Navrig » Mon Nov 26, 2012 23:01 pm

And, don't forget, you can mime dance to Bohemian Rhapsody with a degree of realism :lol:

ChrisAOnABike
Posts: 1761
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:52 am

Re: Why bibs?

Postby ChrisAOnABike » Mon Nov 26, 2012 23:23 pm

Gizmodo wrote:Oh this takes me back, this was one of my first questions on this forum http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40020&t=12797707&hilit=Bib

Ah, my bad, searched on "Why bibs", not "Why bib".

Thanks for the answers, guys. Guess I'll have to look out for some, come spring.
Is the gorilla tired yet?

User avatar
bompington
Posts: 4683
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 11:18 am

Re: Why bibs?

Postby bompington » Tue Nov 27, 2012 06:11 am

I have shorts for summer and bib tights for winter - tbh I cannot tell any difference in comfort or performance between them.

DesB3rd
Posts: 275
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 09:49 am

Re: Why bibs?

Postby DesB3rd » Tue Nov 27, 2012 08:07 am

I have to agree, while I've only ever owned a few of each I can't say the pad has ever migrated in shorts or the waistband elastic is a noticeable issue. The high rise body on bibs is nice though.

Also if you want to walk round the flat informing your housemates "It's Big Van Vader - and you ain't never seen an athletic like 'im!" then shorts are clearly useless.

Htron
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 13:11 pm

Re: Why bibs?

Postby Htron » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:53 am

DesB3rd wrote:
Also if you want to walk round the flat informing your housemates "It's Big Van Vader - and you ain't never seen an athletic like 'im!" then shorts are clearly useless.


Agreed. My 1 year old daughter finds me dancing around the living room in bibs post-ride hilarious. Shorts, meh, not so much.

User avatar
drlodge
Posts: 3633
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 08:29 am

Re: Why bibs?

Postby drlodge » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:46 pm

I like the feel of bibs, nothing cutting into my waist. BUT, I have trouble getting them fit fit. Seems like I'm a medium round my bum, but chest is XXL.
WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
Find me on Strava

User avatar
SecretSam
Posts: 3705
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 14:48 pm

Re: Why bibs?

Postby SecretSam » Tue Nov 27, 2012 16:13 pm

baldwin471 wrote:They don't move. Without the shoulder straps, shorts tend to ride up or fall down when riding. Also, you don't have to tuck your jersey in the back. You don't get a draft up the ars*. And they are much more comfortable.


This.

I was like you, didn't "get it"

Got my first pair of bibs...and got it. Would never, ever use anything else now

I want bib underpants as well :mrgreen:
--------------------
It's just a hill. Get over it.

User avatar
thegreatdivide
Posts: 4252
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:12 am

Re: Why bibs?

Postby thegreatdivide » Tue Nov 27, 2012 17:06 pm

Had the misfortune to end up riding behind a guy who had ill fitting shorts one evening. I’m scarred for life. Needless to say I made sure I took long turns on the front.
"Crevaison sur les paves..."

User avatar
SecretSam
Posts: 3705
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 14:48 pm

Re: Why bibs?

Postby SecretSam » Tue Nov 27, 2012 17:23 pm

Navrig wrote:And, don't forget, you can mime dance to Bohemian Rhapsody with a degree of realism :lol:


LOL, personally I tend to give it "We are the champions", but I can't help it, I have to do it every time I put them on

And I totally loathe Queen
--------------------
It's just a hill. Get over it.

User avatar
Navrig
Posts: 1307
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 21:29 pm

Re: Why bibs?

Postby Navrig » Tue Nov 27, 2012 17:37 pm

thegreatdivide wrote:Had the misfortune to end up riding behind a guy who had ill fitting shorts one evening. I’m scarred for life. Needless to say I made sure I took long turns on the front.


Bibs that are too small are no fun to ride behind, especially if they are white. Stretched too much lycra starts to become semi-transparent....... :shock:

User avatar
thegreatdivide
Posts: 4252
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:12 am

Re: Why bibs?

Postby thegreatdivide » Tue Nov 27, 2012 17:39 pm

Navrig wrote:
thegreatdivide wrote:Had the misfortune to end up riding behind a guy who had ill fitting shorts one evening. I’m scarred for life. Needless to say I made sure I took long turns on the front.


Bibs that are too small are no fun to ride behind, especially if they are white. Stretched too much lycra starts to become semi-transparent....... :shock:


This guys shorts were bordering on knee warmers :shock:
"Crevaison sur les paves..."


Return to “Road Beginners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: its_woody_uk, Kwif007, PhotoNic69 and 7 guests