Shimano 105 poor wet weather braking

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
dantheman1979

Shimano 105 poor wet weather braking

Postby dantheman1979 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 22:59 pm

The 105 brakes on my CAAD 10 are awesome in the dry but in the wet they are downright scary. Can anyone recommend some different brake pads that will improve wet weather braking? I am currently still using the stock ones that came with the bike.
On One 456
Cannondale CAAD 10
Ribble 7005 Audax

Gozzy

Re: Shimano 105 poor wet weather braking

Postby Gozzy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 23:58 pm

kool stop salmons.

redvee

Postby redvee » Tue Nov 27, 2012 00:09 am

SwissStop Greens, around £20 from CRC IIRC.

Bordersroadie

Postby Bordersroadie » Tue Nov 27, 2012 06:54 am

+1 for greens , but koolstop salmons get as many good reviews.

amaferanga

Postby amaferanga » Tue Nov 27, 2012 08:24 am

Any brake pads work if you know the correct braking technique in the wet. Sure Koolstop Salmons and their like might be a bit better, but you should be fine with any pads. When the rims are really wet (e.g. from standing water) are you braking for a couple of seconds, then releasing briefly, then braking again? And are you routinely feathering the brakes to clear water?
More problems but still living....

Bozman

Postby Bozman » Tue Nov 27, 2012 09:47 am

There's squat between any pads in the wet and as previously mentioned you have to adjust your braking in the wet. But for arguments sake.....Probably the worst pads i've had though are the salmons, overrated isn't the word and in the end i swapped them for a set of BBBs i had lying around the shed, these out performed the salmons.
I use the Shimano pads that come with the caliper, when they need replacing its Swissstop green and both are fine.

Bordersroadie

Postby Bordersroadie » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:18 am

amaferanga wrote:Any brake pads work if you know the correct braking technique in the wet.

Bozman wrote:There's squat between any pads in the wet

Not true. You've obviously never tried to stop in the wet with Tektro pads. Tektro pads are dangerously ineffective in the wet, even on my new Ambrosio Excellight rims (same goes for other rims with the same pads by the way), and they pick up and retain aluminium swarf from the rims in the pad surface creating a very effective grinding medium with the road grime.

Swissstop greens are like night and day in comparison - effective stopping and no more grinding - using the same good braking techniques you describe.

essjaydee

Postby essjaydee » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:19 pm

Another vote for Swisstop greens :)

Transformed my crappy tektro brakes on my hack, dry or wet :D

dantheman1979

Postby dantheman1979 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:36 pm

I am aware of the need to clear water from the rims but it makes no difference in this instance. I think i'll give the swissstops a go and see how i get on.
On One 456
Cannondale CAAD 10
Ribble 7005 Audax

nferrar

Postby nferrar » Tue Nov 27, 2012 16:04 pm

Err there's a big difference in performance between decent pads designed for wet weather use like koolstop salmons/swisstop greens and generic cheapy pads. Shimano's OEM pads are fairly decent these days but were very poor going back 3 or 4 years. Sure there are techniques everyone should be aware of to improve your wet weather braking but pad compound still makes a very noticeable difference

yeachan153

Postby yeachan153 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 23:00 pm

Gozzy wrote:kool stop salmons.

I dunno if it is just me, but I have koolstop salmons on my 105 brakes. In the wet, I really need to grip it pretty hard from the drops for 1~2 seconds before getting any proper brake action. Otherwise they are still downright scary. Not sure if this is the case with all pads in the wet!

ALIHISGREAT

Postby ALIHISGREAT » Tue Nov 27, 2012 23:12 pm

Bordersroadie wrote:
amaferanga wrote:Any brake pads work if you know the correct braking technique in the wet.

Not true. You've obviously never tried to stop in the wet with Tektro pads. Tektro pads are dangerously ineffective in the wet, even on my new Ambrosio Excellight rims (same goes for other rims with the same pads by the way), and they pick up and retain aluminium swarf from the rims in the pad surface creating a very effective grinding medium with the road grime.

Swissstop greens are like night and day in comparison - effective stopping and no more grinding - using the same good braking techniques you describe.

I found almost found out the painful way about Tektro brake pads.. nearly ran into the back of a stationary van at 20mph :oops:

thescouselander

Postby thescouselander » Wed Nov 28, 2012 21:49 pm

Bordersroadie wrote:

Not sure I agree with that. I've got tektro pads on my bike (the cartridge ones) and I can stop ok in the wet. I can even lock the rear wheel no problem.
Also I had the blocks off at the weekend and there can't have been more than one or two metal flakes stuck in the friction material.

That said there is a bit of technique involved. You can't just pull the lever and expect to stop like you can in the dry. I do find it helps to keep the rims clean though, I give mine a rub over with a rag and white spirit which keeps the surface good for braking.

thecycleclinic

Postby thecycleclinic » Wed Nov 28, 2012 23:04 pm

Aztec pads are pretty good. However I'll stop the bike with almost any pad so long the brakes are properly set up.

what are you wanting to brake for anyway, it will only slow down.
http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.

cougie

Postby cougie » Thu Nov 29, 2012 00:24 am

My tektros have been fine in the wet.

polyx

Postby polyx » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:33 am

I really was badly surprised how poor my new 105 brake pads are in wet conditions, indeed! Need to find better alternative urgently!

Matt Square

Postby Matt Square » Sun Feb 10, 2013 16:33 pm

nferr wrote:Err there's a big difference in performance between decent pads designecame with ad for wet weather use likce koolstop salmons/swisstop greens and generic cheapy pads. Shimano's OEM pads are fairly decent these days but were very poor going back 3 or 4 years. Sure there are techniques everyone should be aware of to improve your wet weather braking but pad compound still makes a very noticeable difference

+1 My old Shimano were ridiculous in the wet. Swisstop made the world of difference. The pads that came with my new Ultegra calipers are fine in the wet and dry.

DesWeller

Postby DesWeller » Sun Feb 10, 2013 23:09 pm

Keep the pads and rims clean and free of debris and you should find your wet weather braking performance is not as bad.

philbar72

Postby philbar72 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 13:22 pm

DesWeller wrote:Keep the pads and rims clean and free of debris and you should find your wet weather braking performance is not as bad.

Exactly. I use swisstops and they are very good but if you are scrubbing off a lot of speed, and dont have a good surface to work on the pads will be a little less effective. Clean your wheels after a long slog in the wet ( or snow as i did on saturday) and its beneficial to you and your bike. also, clean your pads, as my rear pads recently had a lot of build up that caused inconsistent braking.

Return to “Workshop”