SPOTY..........

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
Abdoujaparov

Re: SPOTY..........

Postby Abdoujaparov » Tue Nov 27, 2012 14:21 pm

pat1cp wrote:I'm surprised Laura Trott wasn't short listed.

Joey Barton for Overseas Personality of the year. :?

She wanted Wiggo to win anyway and her not being nominated should help.

Wiggo's a shoo-in. The only threat to him is if he fails to get his vote out because people think it's a foregone conclusion.

Ennis is hard to vote for ("only" one gold), but will do well enough to take votes from Farah, while Hoy won't do the same for Wiggins.

Neale1978

Postby Neale1978 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 14:48 pm

A woman on facebook is saying something about a corrupt bbc board not allowing cyclists winning the spoty two years in a row?

Any truth in that or b/s?

RichN95

Postby RichN95 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 14:58 pm

Neale1978 wrote:A woman on facebook is saying something about a corrupt bbc board not allowing cyclists winning the spoty two years in a row?

Everything on the internet is true. How dare you doubt it.
Twitter: @RichN95

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Tue Nov 27, 2012 15:01 pm

Conspiracy theories already...fantastic!

Neale1978

Postby Neale1978 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 15:02 pm

Common sense calls b/s of course but you never know thats all

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Tue Nov 27, 2012 15:06 pm

And Auntie Beeb have previous - they did fiddle the outcome of the voting for the new dog/cat's name on Blue Peter... :)

Nick Fitt

Postby Nick Fitt » Tue Nov 27, 2012 15:46 pm

Richmond Racer wrote:And Auntie Beeb have previous - they did fiddle the outcome of the voting for the new dog/cat's name on Blue Peter... :)

Based upon that, then Murray will win

lostboysaint

Postby lostboysaint » Tue Nov 27, 2012 15:56 pm

Ben Ainslie - not only a fourth gold medal making him the most successful sailing Olympian ever but also stepped straight into a new class (AC45) with a crew and immediately made an impact. Oh, as well as just being a genuine personality "they've made me angry......."

Bradley Wiggins - how can you look past someone with the palmares he has this year?

Andy Murray - another personality, yes really, and a major title, an Olympic Gold and Silver and finalist in other majors as well as "minor" title wins. Properly established as one of the four "aliens" at the top of tennis.

Difficult to see past those three.
Trail fun - Transition Bandit
Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur
Allround - Cotic Solaris

derbygrimpeur

Postby derbygrimpeur » Tue Nov 27, 2012 15:57 pm

Voted for by the public and independently verified isn't it? Fiddling is BS

Wiggins
Farah
Ennis

gsk82

Postby gsk82 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 18:27 pm

Neale1978 wrote:A woman on facebook is saying something about a corrupt bbc board not allowing cyclists winning the spoty two years in a row?

Would that be like the team prize vote been taken away from the public after st Helens rugby league won it. John inverdale later stated that there were suspicious voting patterns in the north west ie the sports heartlands.
Rule #72 // Legs speak louder than words.
Unless you routinely demonstrate your riding superiority and the smoothness of your Stroke, refrain from discussing your power meter, heartrate, or any other riding data

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Tue Nov 27, 2012 18:41 pm

gsk82 wrote:

Would that be like the team prize vote been taken away from the public after st Helens rugby league won it. John inverdale later stated that there were suspicious voting patterns in the north west ie the sports heartlands.

First the Blue Peter voting scandal, and now you tell me this.... :shock: :shock:

PBo

Postby PBo » Tue Nov 27, 2012 19:51 pm

RichN95 wrote:It's ironic that Hoy and Storey made the list but the two people they got dropped in favour of - Kenny and Trott didn't.

Isn't storey a paralympian? Nothing to do with trott?

PBo

Postby PBo » Tue Nov 27, 2012 19:55 pm

Le Commentateur wrote:Wouldn't mind him winning SPOTY, but if he accepts a knighthood then he's a traitor and a puppet.

Kids from kilburn don't kollect k- nighthoods!!!

deejay

Postby deejay » Tue Nov 27, 2012 20:05 pm

Something I realised this morning as the penny hadn't dropped before and I had thought it was a sporting achievement award but stopped watching some years ago.
What ? well it's a "Personality" award among sports people and as Wiggins goes out of his way to avoid any personality then it must be unlikely he will win Spoty.

You see on breakfast TV this morning were three women and Eamonn Fatso who said that even though the Twitters were full of Wiggo (like they did for Cav) he and his women thought that Mo with his gleaming smile and shinning teeth would be first choice because of his "Personality".

RichN95

Postby RichN95 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 20:10 pm

PBo wrote:
RichN95 wrote:It's ironic that Hoy and Storey made the list but the two people they got dropped in favour of - Kenny and Trott didn't.

Isn't storey a paralympian? Nothing to do with trott?

She is. But also used to be in the pursuit squad before getting the chop at the end of last year.
Twitter: @RichN95

ShinyHelmut

Postby ShinyHelmut » Tue Nov 27, 2012 20:23 pm

dortmunder wrote:
Lichtblick wrote:
ju5t1n wrote:It's hard to see past John Terry for this anyway

Who is John Terry?

Captain, Leader, Legend so I'm told!

By your wife?

PBo

Postby PBo » Tue Nov 27, 2012 20:29 pm

I tells you, it would be a shoo in any other year for wiggo.....but bookies or no, I think it's really hard to call. But here's my analysis....

Outsiders :
Adams - great smile not enough...
Storey - probably not enough recognition
Grainger - good story, but not quite enough....

"Oh, I'll vote for him another year, he's bound to be in with more chances, and he wasn't in the Olympics...."
Mcilroy

Probably not unless British public suddenly shows massive appreciation of a non mainstream sport....
Ainslie (fwiw he's in my top 5...)

He's already won it, and he didn't do as we'll this time....
Hoy- well known and liked, top brit Olympian ever, but prob not worth a second win....

Personal profile won't quite make up for (slightly) lesser sporting achievement.
Simmonds - great, but not like she clean swept, and swimming suffers from medal dilution...
Ennis- granted the heptathlon is tough, but she "only" won one medal...

Which leaves us with the main contenders, based on magnitude of achievement...
Sir Bradley of Wiggins - fave for a good reason, but maybe cycling still not quite getting enough love in this country. Some won't like his cnuting.
Laird Andy of Murray - pros: Olympics/ first major, high level in a global sport loved by daily mail readers. Cons: andy not loved by daily mail readers...wait til he wins Wimbledon
Baron Weir of Wolf - could benefit from the Paralympic appreciation society, epic performances, what a competitor. Also, unlike some of the other para events that look like a primary school teacher invented them to give the rubbish kids a chance, he competes in an established, tough sport, with genuinely word class fields. Cons: despite our embracing of the Paralympics will we wring our hands that it'll look like a sympathy vote?
Mo, Lord Farah of Middle Distance- pros: epic achievement, high profile, blue riband event, that smile, genuinely likeable, the mobot. Cons: the mobot

All the above just goes to show I haven't a clue, and I feel 4 or 5 really good cases could be made.....

RoyPSB

Postby RoyPSB » Tue Nov 27, 2012 21:57 pm

It should be Wiggins and I think it will.

TailWindHome

Postby TailWindHome » Wed Nov 28, 2012 14:15 pm

"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED? IS THIS NOT WHY YOU ARE HERE?"

greasedscotsman

Postby greasedscotsman » Wed Nov 28, 2012 14:21 pm

1st Wiggins, 2nd Ennis, 3rd Farah (that's Mo, not Tyler...)

But to be honest, I really don't care for it. Just wanted to be right with my prediction!

Return to “Pro Race”