best all round tyre

Discuss the eternal "Which fork/bike/tyres should I buy?" questions.
lawman76

best all round tyre

Postby lawman76 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 22:06 pm

looking to for a new set of tyres.something for all year round.read the review in mtb uk this month and was going to go for one of the top three specialized purgery control,rubber queen (folding £30), hans damph (folding £30) as my budget is around £30 per tyre.any advice would be helpfully. cheers :D

cooldad

Re: best all round tyre

Postby cooldad » Thu Nov 29, 2012 22:46 pm

All round tyres are definitely the best - those square ones are a bugger.
Ask ten different people and you'll get ten different answers. I use Maxxis Ignitor Exception series. Some one I know who really knows his sh1t swears by these, and bargain price.
http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/.Bont ... 127081.htm
If you get Continental make sure they are Black Chili compound all the rest are rubbish.
I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools

DodgeT

Postby DodgeT » Fri Nov 30, 2012 07:05 am

Out of your original 3, I can vouch for the purgatory, very good in all conditions.

bennett_346

Postby bennett_346 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 07:41 am

DodgeT wrote:Out of your original 3, I can vouch for the purgatory, very good in all conditions.

+1

benpinnick

Postby benpinnick » Fri Nov 30, 2012 07:46 am

All those tyres are good, but none as good value as the Xr4. Which I also think is the strongest option this time of year.
A Flock of Birds
+ some other bikes.

GrenW

Postby GrenW » Fri Nov 30, 2012 08:17 am

Depends what you ride. Down south where I ride it drains well and the all natural forest trails that I ride hold up really well.

For me those Hans Dampfs would be too much in all but the worst conditions. I use Nobby Nics (a toned down, lighter version of the HD) all through winter and swap to Ralphs sometimes during the summer.

oodboo

Postby oodboo » Fri Nov 30, 2012 08:57 am

I've got some single ply minions that I've been happy with. Got front and rear but a lot of people run two front tyres.
I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava

lawman76

Postby lawman76 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:10 pm

Ride at inners,gt or newcastleton.usually on trails.bikes a rockhopper if that helps.was swinging to the Schwalbe don't no if there is big difference between £30 or £50 options.

EH_Rob

Postby EH_Rob » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:16 pm

At Glentress (and most other places) I normally ride with Maxxis Ardents and High Rollers 60A compound, all year round. When riding at Inners at this time of year I might switch to Minions, High Rollers or Ardents in Super Tacky compound.

I don't really ever run anything else. There's plenty of other (and probably better) options for the wintery gloop, but I don't ever ride in purely muddy conditions and don't have pockets deep enough to justify changing tyres any more than this.

I like Maxxis tyres in general as I find they last ok, I like the way the sizes come up, they are durable and give solid, predictable grip for most of the riding I do. In the past I've tried Schwalbes (Nobby Nic and Racing Ralph - good for XC) and various Contis (anything in Black Chili compound is good, anything else isn't).

Thewaylander

Postby Thewaylander » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:26 pm

GrenW wrote:Depends what you ride. Down south where I ride it drains well and the all natural forest trails that I ride hold up really well.

For me those Hans Dampfs would be too much in all but the worst conditions. I use Nobby Nics (a toned down, lighter version of the HD) all through winter and swap to Ralphs sometimes during the summer.

See this is where people differ, i wouldn't even use a nobby in summer as they have 0 grip on roots rocks in anything approaching a sneeze of water lol.

Concorde

Postby Concorde » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:36 pm

Use a Minion up front for all of this year, super tacky, it's a slog but it never ever lets go! Just bought an ardent looks similar in tread but reading a lot that they're not very good gripping unless you're pretty much horizontal. Tried a rocket ron the other day, not enough up front but plenty on the rear. Will get a high roller for the front for the summer, stick with the minion for the winter and run rocket ron or conti mountain king on the back all year round.

MDobs

Postby MDobs » Fri Nov 30, 2012 14:52 pm

lawman76 wrote:Ride at inners,gt or newcastleton.usually on trails.bikes a rockhopper if that helps.was swinging to the Schwalbe don't no if there is big difference between £30 or £50 options.

about twenty pounds.

lawman

Postby lawman » Fri Nov 30, 2012 14:54 pm

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k371/a ... r-set.html

This deal is the best around by far, will be slapping some on my hardtail over winter

MDobs

Postby MDobs » Fri Nov 30, 2012 15:15 pm

lawman wrote:http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k371/a69863/hans-dampf-evo-snake-skin-pacestar-trailstar-set.html

This deal is the best around by far, will be slapping some on my hardtail over winter

I've got those waiting patiently to go on my bike at some point, cracking deal considering that one RRPs at 49.99 gbp and you're getting a pair for about that.

Bike-discount are generally the best place price wise for tyres, they do relatively cheap contis (esp black chilli Baron and Rubber Queens) as well as Maxxis and Schwable cheaper than most. I've got a wish list of about 15 tyres on there. i think i have a little bit of a rubber fetish :shock:

ilovedirt

Postby ilovedirt » Fri Nov 30, 2012 15:52 pm

I'm gonna go for some hans dampfs (the link lawman posted). They get good reviews and they make sense for my riding. They might be a bit draggy on trail centre stuff, but i ride a lot of off piste more natural/local trails which can get pretty muddy and are generally pretty loose, rooty and rocky.
Saracen Ariel 151

B'Twin Triban 5

lawman

Postby lawman » Fri Nov 30, 2012 18:30 pm

MDobs wrote:
lawman wrote:http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k371/a69863/hans-dampf-evo-snake-skin-pacestar-trailstar-set.html

I've got those waiting patiently to go on my bike at some point, cracking deal considering that one RRPs at 49.99 gbp and you're getting a pair for about that.

Bike-discount are generally the best place price wise for tyres, they do relatively cheap contis (esp black chilli Baron and Rubber Queens) as well as Maxxis and Schwable cheaper than most. I've got a wish list of about 15 tyres on there. i think i have a little bit of a rubber fetish :shock:

My uni club is sponsored by conti and even after the huge discount we get bike discounts contis are cheaper!!!

spr wheelie

Postby spr wheelie » Fri Nov 30, 2012 18:42 pm

just ordered a pair of bonty xr4s, thanks for the link cooldad was wanting them and not seen a price that good.
sight 3 se

70\'sPenguin

Postby 70\'sPenguin » Fri Nov 30, 2012 21:23 pm

cooldad wrote:All round tyres are definitely the best - those square ones are a bugger.
Ask ten different people and you'll get ten different answers. I use Maxxis Ignitor Exception series. Some one I know who really knows his sh1t swears by these, and bargain price.
http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/.Bont ... 127081.htm
If you get Continental make sure they are Black Chili compound all the rest are rubbish.

Any idea if these are the TLR versions?

BlueAdvocate

Postby BlueAdvocate » Fri Nov 30, 2012 21:29 pm

ilovedirt wrote:I'm gonna go for some hans dampfs (the link lawman posted). They get good reviews and they make sense for my riding. They might be a bit draggy on trail centre stuff, but i ride a lot of off piste more natural/local trails which can get pretty muddy and are generally pretty loose, rooty and rocky.

I've been running advantages most of the year but got some HDs from bike discount .. a bargain with the pace/trail combo. Tried them out on Lee Quarry and was very impressed. Since them I've used them in muddy conditions and been happy as you can be. I have some swampthings .... jesus they suck you into the centre of the earth ... really can't get on with them.

neilrosser

Postby neilrosser » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:20 am

spr wheelie wrote:just ordered a pair of bonty xr4s, thanks for the link cooldad was wanting them and not seen a price that good.

Are they the Team Issue ones? If so are you going to run 2.35 f & r ? Shame they don't do 2.20 in TI.
Trek Fuel EX8

Return to “MTB Buying Advice”