Any asthma sufferers?

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
alidaf

Any asthma sufferers?

Postby alidaf » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:26 am

After months of prodding and poking it seems I have asthma. The irony is that I'm fitter than I have ever been since leaving school and all of the suffering over the last 6 months or so could have been avoided if the doctor hadn't asked "do you have asthma?". I hadn't been diagnosed so I said "no". Finally I have an answer, even if it was an unexpected shock.

Anyway, it doesn't seem to adversely affect my cycling, or visa-versa. The few times, retrospectively, that I may have had an episode were mild and brought about by long, steep hills. I thought I was just unfit and often think I still am because steep hills can be a struggle. I brushed off the breathlessness and carried on, regaining my 'capacity' after another mile or so. Is this normal? Should I always be prepared when out and about? My really bad episodes have all been at home. I would have expected cycling to be a positive and preventative thing to do. I don't want to rely on the inhaler when I've managed without in the past. How do other sufferers manage it with their cycling?

rjsterry

Re: Any asthma sufferers?

Postby rjsterry » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:41 am

Cycling is generally good for your respiratory system, but as you exercise more, you will tend to 'bring out' symptoms more, whereas sitting on the sofa doing nothing can mask them. Plenty of pro cyclists are asthmatic to some degree. Also, if your episodes tend to happen at home, there might be something triggering them - dust allergies are an obvious example. Might be worth investigating.
1997 Giant Peloton 7200 - FCN 4 (5 if it looks like rain)
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

"Be there, eat sausages, gain ultimate respect"

UndercoverElephant

Postby UndercoverElephant » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:46 am

Depends how bad you are: Mine only shows up these days when I have a heavy cold or there's too much dust mite crap about. At the moment I need to carry a Blue inhaler in my jersey pocket, but that's not real hardship.

Miguel Indurain and Jan Ullrich had asthma, you know.

BigMat

Postby BigMat » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:59 am

UndercoverElephant wrote:
Miguel Indurain and Jan Ullrich had asthma, you know.

:lol:

Of course they did! Its surprisingly common amongst pro athletes. In fact, its amazing how many endurance athletes have risen to the top of their sport whilst being dependent on salbutamol (legitimately of course...)

From personal experience, I find cycling does help but there are periods when my chest gets a bit tight. Can be hayfever season, or where there is a bit of smog, or when the air is particularly cold. I should really use the brown inhaler twice a day and carry the blue one, but generally I don't bother and seem to manage OK - clearly my symptoms are pretty mild these days. Worth having the blue one handy though just in case, particularly if you have been feeling a bit wheezy.

vermin

Postby vermin » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:01 am

First off, most asthmatics don't 'suffer' with it, they live with it and MTFU. I was diagnosed about 30 years ago and can count the times I've been in real trouble (hospital) on the fingers of one hand. Those who 'suffer' really have a bad time of it, and have my sympathy.

Like UE said, carry a blue and be prepared to have to use it. When riding I always consider how my tubes are feeling before making any changes in effort - sometimes everything feels great and I can just go for it, other times I know that any increase in effort will bring on an attack and cause me to to abandon the whole ride. That can be annoying, but I could be much worse off. It hasn't stopped me rowing to a decent level in the past and now enjoying cycling.

A surprising proportion of top athletes are asthmatic and I have a pet theory that the additional strain placed upon the entire oxygen transportation system (from nose/mouth to blood vessels) as a result of asthma actually has a beneficial training effect, so look at it as a positive!

Re training benefit, healthy athletes pay for this product to effectively replicate asthma symptoms!

http://www.powerbreathe.com/

estampida

Postby estampida » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:11 am

Big mig also got a lot of heat from the UCI as the level of salbutamol in his system was high..... Some say too high

But the doctors note excused him.......

Read into that what you will... but convenient all the same

I only really use mine when snowboarding the difference in breathing at 10,000ft when using an inhaler is remarkable.....

mudcow007

Postby mudcow007 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:17 am

yep

im mudcow and am too an asthmatic

had it really bad when i was a wee nipper but gradually grown out of it now, only needed Ventolin occasional

everybody will have a "trigger" which sets them off, mine is cats an really cold weather

just carry your blue inhaler an relax, if you chest does kick off panicking makes it worse
Keeping it classy since '83

Ben6899

Postby Ben6899 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:47 am

Asthmatic here, as well.

It raises its ugly head when the air is cold and dry and I exercise; otherwise, it doesn't affect me. My GP called it 'EIB - Exercise Induced Bronchospasm'. The first time I ever noticed it enough for me to visit the Dr (and subsequently have it diagnosed) was on the home leg of a ride on a section where I wasn't particularly trying - in that same ride I had just been up to the communications mast at Emley Moor (posting what appears to be the 13th fastest - out of 89 - Strava time). What I am trying to say is that it has a funny way of making a nuisance of itself - it didn't bother me once as I climbed up Denby Dale Road.
Ben

Bikes: Starley JKS R1 | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
Islington CC: http://www.islington.cc

alidaf

Postby alidaf » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:48 am

Thanks to everybody that has chimed in. Its all a bit new to me.

EKE_38BPM

Postby EKE_38BPM » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:51 am

vermin wrote:Re training benefit, healthy athletes pay for this product to effectively replicate asthma symptoms!

http://www.powerbreathe.com/

I bet a cigarette before training has the same effect. Resistance training for the lungs.
FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!

daviesee

Postby daviesee » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:19 pm

I had* asthma until I left the family home. Look for triggers.

Exercise is good for asthma.

Cycling is good for asthma. :P

PS:- While I had asthma bouts I came to the conclusion that a lot of the trouble breathing stems from not exhaling properly so think about that while cycling. Coincidentally, I was recently at a talk by Graeme Obree and he mentioned similar when he was talking about breathing techniques.

* I guess that I still have it but I haven't had a bad bout since, with the one exception being when I got pneumonia. Now that's not a nice combination. :evil:
None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.

prawny

Postby prawny » Mon Dec 03, 2012 13:05 pm

I'm mildly asthmatic.

Excercise has controlled it pretty much, maybe take 3 or 4 doses of ventolin a year now. Autumn is the worst time for me.

Once you know you've got it, you can look out for triggers as has been said, and as long as you've got your inhaler handy you should be fine. I only seem to get wheezy when decorating, so I avoid it now :lol:
Saracen Dirttrax Disc
Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015
Voodoo Bizango - 2014

Anti_Podean

Postby Anti_Podean » Mon Dec 03, 2012 13:48 pm

I was diagnosed with asthma when I was 11, IIRC. It used to hit me harder when I was a kid than it does now, almost 30 years on. There was a time when I used it as an excuse for why I was crap at athletics, XC running, etc, and then I became friends with the cousin of an Olympic swimming gold medal winner and subsequently the chap himself -- who had asthma far worse than me. Sure exertion with asthma is usually like breathing through a straw and it hits me worse when I'm ill or it's hayfever season, but ultimately it's not a reason not to MTFU and just get on with it.

I still keep a blue Ventolin inhaler within staggering distance (glovebox, backpack, each floor of the house), but I've not had to use it in almost 10 years. I know people who have/had it so bad they're on a nebuliser daily, but even those people can make use of their better days. Doesn't have to be a "disability" for all but the worst afflicted.

mudcow007

Postby mudcow007 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 15:10 pm

Anti_Podean wrote:
I still keep a blue Ventolin inhaler within staggering distance (glovebox, backpack, each floor of the house), but I've not had to use it in almost 10 years. I know people who have/had it so bad they're on a nebuliser daily, but even those people can make use of their better days. Doesn't have to be a "disability" for all but the worst afflicted.

i was really really bad when i was a kid, i was on steroids an nebulisers an all of a sudden i just stopped that was over 10 years ago

all of a sudden is back but no where near as bad

i think most people just grow out of it
Keeping it classy since '83

vermin

Postby vermin » Mon Dec 03, 2012 15:11 pm

mudcow007 wrote:i think most people just grow out of it

*drums fingers on desk*

rjsterry

Postby rjsterry » Mon Dec 03, 2012 15:18 pm

vermin wrote:

*drums fingers on desk*

Quite. Don't count your chickens Mr Cow. Minor asthma as a child, but I'd not had anything at all for years until minor symptoms re-emerged a couple of years ago due to poor air quality on my commute.
1997 Giant Peloton 7200 - FCN 4 (5 if it looks like rain)
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

"Be there, eat sausages, gain ultimate respect"

UndercoverElephant

Postby UndercoverElephant » Mon Dec 03, 2012 15:21 pm

rjsterry wrote:
vermin wrote:

*drums fingers on desk*

Quite. Don't count your chickens Mr Cow. Minor asthma as a child, but I'd not had anything at all for years until minor symptoms re-emerged a couple of years ago due to poor air quality on my commute.

Yeah, I've been clear since I moved to Scotland, 12 years ago. This year's been bad, we're currently trying to ding someone who cleans the ducts of air conditioning for the office. :(

Arthur Scrimshaw

Postby Arthur Scrimshaw » Mon Dec 03, 2012 15:34 pm

Me too, started when I was 45, late developer :?
Spent 4 years trying to find a suitable treatment and tried countless preventers before finding the magic bullet which was seretide, symptoms for me were coughing, so bad sometimes that I passed out on a few occasions through lack of oxygen! Only been riding seriously for 3 years and can't say it's helped my condition but don't think it affects me much either (not at my level anyway)
No coughing now, don't find I need to use the preventer every day, although can get a bit wheezy now and then.

Paul E

Postby Paul E » Mon Dec 03, 2012 17:21 pm

Another seretide user here, I changed docotrs when I moved down here and was put on qvar and my symptoms and general health went down hill until I managed to get him to put me back on seretide and bingo.

As other have said I can have days when my lungs feel huge and I can go and go and go but on other days I hardly make it up hills I can dance on the pedals up on my good days.

Only managed to be hospitalised a couple of times and been on a nebuliser etc etc, no make that three times. Late to develop it here too I was in my early 30's and it came out of the blue after a bad chest infection.
bartman100 wrote:The OP is a troll = moron
The OP actually believes this = moron

Cornerblock

Postby Cornerblock » Mon Dec 03, 2012 17:49 pm

Another one here, used to get really bad attacks as a child but thankfully it has become less of a problem as I've got older. I think cycling and swimming have both helped to improve my condition but I do still take the blue ventolin out on rides with me just in case.

The biggest triggers for me now, when I really feel my chest tightening, are cats and nail varnish, (not cats with nail varnish!) Really annoys me whenever my wife does her nails in the bedroom, I have to leave the room to breathe. Mmm hold on maybe she's trying to tell me something!

I do wish I had better lung capacity, on long climbs it's never my legs that are a problem but my breathing, I try to stay relaxed and control it. For the occasions when I don't control it so well I'm glad I've got the inhaler.

Return to “Commuting Chat”