can i ride for team sky now?!

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
Chris Bass

can i ride for team sky now?!

Postby Chris Bass » Mon Dec 03, 2012 13:19 pm

this morning i was on my way into work and decided to cycle along the cycle path. I dont normally cycle along it but got fed up with motorists telling me that i should be on it, but i was pretty swiftly reminded of why i dont normally!!

the cycle path goes along a row of pretty expensive houses and they genereally have high walls and gates so i was cycling along just as a car pulled out of his drive, no time to stop and the rain meant my breaking didnt really have much of an effect, i hit the side of his car and me and my bike (thanks to spd sl's!!) went over the bonet and then hit the floor! luckily i wasnt travelling too fast and other thana sore elbow i'm right as rain (pun intended!)

but it got me thinking about how badly designed the cycle path is! it wasnt really thre drivers fault and it wasnt mine, i dont think. he was pulling out quite carefully and i wasnt going at break neck speed just a case of wrong place at the wrong time!
www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes

cougie

Re: can i ride for team sky now?!

Postby cougie » Mon Dec 03, 2012 13:21 pm

Surely it must be his fault if he pulled out into your path ?

Chris Bass

Postby Chris Bass » Mon Dec 03, 2012 13:36 pm

he did but its more because the cycle path runs along side walls and the big fancy houses have high walls and big pillars with gates on so he couldnt really see until the front of his car is all the way across the cycle path.

its really badly designed. safe to say i won't be going along it any more!

Navrig

Postby Navrig » Mon Dec 03, 2012 13:36 pm

cougie wrote:Surely it must be his fault if he pulled out into your path ?

Or the cyclists fault for cycling too fast for the conditions?

dee4life2005

Postby dee4life2005 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 14:02 pm

There is a section of cycle path - shared use pavement - on my commute that has 4 driveways off it. In one direction you can see if any cars are likely to pop out, but from the other direction one of the driveways is obscured by a 20ft hedge and wooden fence. Had a couple of close ones going along there, even slowing down to 10mph. The cars are generally good enough that if they are waiting to join the road and see you coming they will reverse back.

It would be much safer to cycle this stretch on the road, but the motorists know that the pavement there is a "cycle path" and give you no end of abuse (close passes, tooting horns, swerving in front of you, bottles thrown - a mate even got squirted with a water pistol once). It's just not worth it, so I tend to put up with this poor design - and the fact that it's been poorly patched after laying cables etc. Never gets gritted either, but that's another story.

For poorly designed cycle paths such as these, it would be a bit unfair to lay all blame at the motorist when they are edging out slowly, which to be fair they do in most cases. The council's should really think a bit more about bicycle safety rather than just slapping up some signs and making a section of pavement "shared use". Anything with driveways should be excluded from conversions such as these.

Chris Bass

Postby Chris Bass » Mon Dec 03, 2012 14:12 pm

dee4life2005 wrote:There is a section of cycle path - shared use pavement - on my commute that has 4 driveways off it. In one direction you can see if any cars are likely to pop out, but from the other direction one of the driveways is obscured by a 20ft hedge and wooden fence. Had a couple of close ones going along there, even slowing down to 10mph. The cars are generally good enough that if they are waiting to join the road and see you coming they will reverse back.

It would be much safer to cycle this stretch on the road, but the motorists know that the pavement there is a "cycle path" and give you no end of abuse (close passes, tooting horns, swerving in front of you, bottles thrown - a mate even got squirted with a water pistol once). It's just not worth it, so I tend to put up with this poor design - and the fact that it's been poorly patched after laying cables etc. Never gets gritted either, but that's another story.

For poorly designed cycle paths such as these, it would be a bit unfair to lay all blame at the motorist when they are edging out slowly, which to be fair they do in most cases. The council's should really think a bit more about bicycle safety rather than just slapping up some signs and making a section of pavement "shared use". Anything with driveways should be excluded from conversions such as these.

that sounds very much like the bit i was on, i had slowed down too but the car literally appeared about 3 feet in front of me so there really was no time to stop!

Navrig

Postby Navrig » Mon Dec 03, 2012 14:54 pm

Chris Bass wrote:
dee4life2005 wrote:There is a section of cycle path - shared use pavement - on my commute that has 4 driveways off it. In one direction you can see if any cars are likely to pop out, but from the other direction one of the driveways is obscured by a 20ft hedge and wooden fence. Had a couple of close ones going along there, even slowing down to 10mph. The cars are generally good enough that if they are waiting to join the road and see you coming they will reverse back.

that sounds very much like the bit i was on, i had slowed down too but the car literally appeared about 3 feet in front of me so there really was no time to stop!

I wasn't having a go at you, just pointing out that there are always two sides. You have clearly made this point but someone didn't pick up on it.

cougie

Postby cougie » Mon Dec 03, 2012 15:00 pm

That does sound a crap and dangerous path then. Round here the only ones I can think of along the pavement are further down and nearer the road - so this type of accident can't really happen.

I'd be riding on the road there I think.

nevman

Postby nevman » Mon Dec 03, 2012 15:07 pm

The point here is that the emerging motorist must be aware that the sightlines are poor and should be more careful in crossing the cycle path.Good job you werent badly hurt-you took care by watching your own speed.
Imagine the situation the other way round.
Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
Winter Alan Top Cross
All rounder Spec. Allez.

bernithebiker

Postby bernithebiker » Mon Dec 03, 2012 16:06 pm

This is why I never use cycle paths.

(That, and punctures).
http://www.cyclespeedtours.com

Bespoke and 5* cycle trips based in Palma, Mallorca.

Guanajuato

Postby Guanajuato » Mon Dec 03, 2012 16:20 pm

If its owt like the cycle path between Windermere & Ambleside, it'll have give ways on the cycle path for each and every driveway. So it must be your fault. :shock:

dee4life2005

Postby dee4life2005 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 16:27 pm

Guanajuato wrote:If its owt like the cycle path between Windermere & Ambleside, it'll have give ways on the cycle path for each and every driveway. So it must be your fault. :shock:

There is one stretch near where I live that has 3 drive-ways in the space of 100 yards and each has one of these stupid metal slalom type barriers ... that's just taking the micky, especially as they are set back from each driveway enough that you could still be launched over a car should it decide to come out without looking :roll:

wheezee

Postby wheezee » Mon Dec 03, 2012 16:33 pm

I was riding into Ipswich a few weeks back, and found quite an extensive series of bike paths alongside the main road, but part of the footpaths. They were continuously broken by driveways and side roads, and were full of kids on their way to school (Walking! astonishing). I'd never have made my train if I'd used it. It was either going to be dangerous, or not much faster than walking.

Crispyapp

Postby Crispyapp » Mon Dec 03, 2012 17:02 pm

You haven't mentioned if there was damage to his car, what did he say, also more importantly, did you damage anything on your bike....?

I thinks if it was me I'd be contacting your local council and making a claim.
Look 595 ultra - F+F for sale.....
Cervelo r5
Kinesis T2 2013 winter bike
Merida Carbon 1500 flx MTB

Gizmodo

Postby Gizmodo » Mon Dec 03, 2012 18:29 pm

I agree with Crispyapp, please email you local council and tell them, it sounds like someone else might not be so lucky next time.

Ber Nard

Postby Ber Nard » Mon Dec 03, 2012 18:47 pm

I'm sure most cycles lanes are conceived by road planners who have little interest in cycling, it just allows them to say they are doing something to promote safe cycling. "There; you have a cycle lane. Now stop whinging about the roads being dangerous."

That and the fact they don't expect a cyclist to travel at more than 5mph.

Rob

binsted

Postby binsted » Mon Dec 03, 2012 19:15 pm

Ber Nard wrote:I'm sure most cycles lanes are conceived by road planners who have little interest in cycling, it just allows them to say they are doing something to promote safe cycling. "There; you have a cycle lane. Now stop whinging about the roads being dangerous."

That and the fact they don't expect a cyclist to travel at more than 5mph.

Rob

Tend to agree, our local token 1/2 mile of cycle lane is a joke, pot holes, puddles and barely wider than the sunken ironwork. It is beyond me that that they spend a fortune on coloured paint without repairing the sub surface first. Then understandably from the motorists point of view we are the villains for ignoring the lanes provided.

pete_s

Postby pete_s » Mon Dec 03, 2012 19:23 pm

dee4life2005

Postby dee4life2005 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 19:26 pm

^ ha ha, that's quality. Good interval training though ;-)

TheFD

Postby TheFD » Mon Dec 03, 2012 20:07 pm

Some council workers are complete tools! Who would think this is a good idea? :twisted:
2013 - R872
2010 - Spesh Tarmac

Return to “Road General”