My retro Colnago Master

Show off your bikes here...
nicklloyd
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 18:32 pm
Contact:

My retro Colnago Master

Postby nicklloyd » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:28 am

I built up this Colnago Master last year. Ridden it a few times round the hills of North Wales and it performed really well. Except old brakes are terrible when your used to modern dual pivots!!

I think the frame is slightly too new for the Campagnolo Super Record & Record components, but I love the look of the bikes from this era. Just need some leather toe straps to complete it (but when i ride it I fit clip in pedals anyway!!)

photo1.jpg

photo7.jpg

photo8.jpg


Not sure whether to keep it or sell it as at present as it never gets used and seems a waste to have it just laying around.

To keep or sell?? What do you think?

Cheers

Nick
Nick

Retul Bike Fits at Romero Performance
2009 BMC SL-C Pro Machine Super Record
1969 Carlton Longfellow Single Speed

User avatar
thegreatdivide
Posts: 4245
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:12 am

Re: My retro Colnago Master

Postby thegreatdivide » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:44 am

KEEP!!! She looks great :-)

I've got a modern Master that I built up last year with as many shiny pasrts as I could muster and she's a stunner, but now I'm hooked on building up a true classic Colnago - or a Wilier Ramato if I can find one in my size.
"Crevaison sur les paves..."

User avatar
greasedscotsman
Posts: 6637
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 20:38 pm

Re: My retro Colnago Master

Postby greasedscotsman » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:24 am

Oh I'd sell it. Did you mention what size it was? :wink:

User avatar
ugo.santalucia
Posts: 17986
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:39 am

Re: My retro Colnago Master

Postby ugo.santalucia » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:06 pm

Sell? Are you mad?
if you don't love her and start adding modern components, then sell her to someone who will love her for the way she is.

"If you DON'T love her, set her free!"

If you don't love her, I suggest you see a doctor... :lol:

Fevmeister
Posts: 455
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:24 am

Re: My retro Colnago Master

Postby Fevmeister » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:14 pm

I'd buy it!!

nicklloyd
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 18:32 pm
Contact:

Re: My retro Colnago Master

Postby nicklloyd » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:15 pm

I loved building her. Its probably just due to not using last summer at all due to bad weather (not riding her in the rain!!, see I do love her!) or doing Ironman Tri training. Maybe I'll give it another go next summer.
photo3.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo6.jpg

User avatar
NapoleonD
Posts: 18116
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 19:51 pm

Re: My retro Colnago Master

Postby NapoleonD » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:23 pm

Looks fake, won't fetch much I'm afraid.

What size is it?
Twitter - @NapD
Strava - Dense Voigt

User avatar
ugo.santalucia
Posts: 17986
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:39 am

Re: My retro Colnago Master

Postby ugo.santalucia » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:28 pm

nicklloyd wrote:I loved building her. Its probably just due to not using last summer at all due to bad weather (not riding her in the rain!!, see I do love her!) or doing Ironman Tri training. Maybe I'll give it another go next summer.
photo3.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo6.jpg


I ride my 1980s Sannino Super Record so much that I sold my modern bike. Last sunday it was freezing cold, so I just popped to Richmond Park to try out the new 27 mm Pave' tubulars... 80 PSI, it was like riding a dream.. no mechanical noise whatsoever... a far cry from these modern bikes, which have a new bottom bracket pitch of creak every other week. No computers, just feeling the legs working towards 25 mph on a 53 x 16.
The brakes actually work pretty well. I suggest you change the pads, maybe yours are 30 years old and could do with new rubber. Kool stop makes Super Record compatible blocks, even in their softer salmon compound if the black is not satisfactory.

nicklloyd
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 18:32 pm
Contact:

Re: My retro Colnago Master

Postby nicklloyd » Tue Dec 04, 2012 13:05 pm

NapoleonD wrote:Looks fake, won't fetch much I'm afraid.

What size is it?


Fake!! The put some work in on it with the logo cut into bottom bracket shell, top of seat stays, rear brake bridge and the down tube lug! Never mind making the crimped tubing. :wink:

Its a big one. 61cm

nicklloyd
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 18:32 pm
Contact:

Re: My retro Colnago Master

Postby nicklloyd » Tue Dec 04, 2012 13:13 pm

ugo.santalucia wrote:
nicklloyd wrote:I loved building her. Its probably just due to not using last summer at all due to bad weather (not riding her in the rain!!, see I do love her!) or doing Ironman Tri training. Maybe I'll give it another go next summer.
photo3.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo6.jpg


I ride my 1980s Sannino Super Record so much that I sold my modern bike. Last sunday it was freezing cold, so I just popped to Richmond Park to try out the new 27 mm Pave' tubulars... 80 PSI, it was like riding a dream.. no mechanical noise whatsoever... a far cry from these modern bikes, which have a new bottom bracket pitch of creak every other week. No computers, just feeling the legs working towards 25 mph on a 53 x 16.
The brakes actually work pretty well. I suggest you change the pads, maybe yours are 30 years old and could do with new rubber. Kool stop makes Super Record compatible blocks, even in their softer salmon compound if the black is not satisfactory.


Your probably right on the brake blocks. They look original with almost no wear so probably just gone hard.

photo9.jpg


I did really like just how quiet the bike was. I remember the other summer coming down a descent in North Wales on it and being amazed at just how silent it was.

Sell it? I think I'll go home and polish it!!
Nick

Retul Bike Fits at Romero Performance
2009 BMC SL-C Pro Machine Super Record
1969 Carlton Longfellow Single Speed

User avatar
NapoleonD
Posts: 18116
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 19:51 pm

Re: My retro Colnago Master

Postby NapoleonD » Tue Dec 04, 2012 14:08 pm

nicklloyd wrote:
NapoleonD wrote:Looks fake, won't fetch much I'm afraid.

What size is it?


Fake!! The put some work in on it with the logo cut into bottom bracket shell, top of seat stays, rear brake bridge and the down tube lug! Never mind making the crimped tubing. :wink:

Its a big one. 61cm


Yeah, i suspect its not worth much. It's my size though so, say, 100 quid?
Twitter - @NapD
Strava - Dense Voigt

User avatar
FocusZing
Posts: 1937
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 19:21 pm

Re: My retro Colnago Master

Postby FocusZing » Tue Dec 04, 2012 16:38 pm

Great to see subtle classics on the roads.

User avatar
crumbschief
Posts: 1939
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 07:40 am

Re: My retro Colnago Master

Postby crumbschief » Tue Dec 04, 2012 22:34 pm

Oh i think you should sell this on as soon as possible,i offer £102 btw.

User avatar
giant man
Posts: 10961
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2003 16:34 pm
Contact:

Re: My retro Colnago Master

Postby giant man » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:17 am

NapoleonD wrote:Looks fake, won't fetch much I'm afraid.

What size is it?

lol
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Finding the right saddle is the holy grail for the cyclist, good luck, it may take some time .....

Mccaria
Posts: 863
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:25 pm

Re: My retro Colnago Master

Postby Mccaria » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:31 pm

Its clearly been repainted since I have it on good authority that Colnago never sold any red frames (apparently Ferrari had a trademark on the colour red for all products made in Italy)

However despite this obvious flaw and since it is my size, I would also be happy to take it off your hands, lets say £103, cash waiting, ideally tomorrow, I will pick it up, maybe in the morning ? No sod it I will collect it tonight if we can agree on £102.50....

Rgds


£104 ?

User avatar
RideOnTime
Posts: 4319
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 08:21 am
Contact:

Re: My retro Colnago Master

Postby RideOnTime » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:57 am

She's lovely.

mk1markfalkirk
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 22:22 pm

Re: My retro Colnago Master

Postby mk1markfalkirk » Tue Dec 11, 2012 02:12 am

Stunning bike

In regards to the hard brake pad issue, Ive heard its possible to take some rough sand paper to the blocks to remove the hard outer "crust" that has formed. could be worth a try before you source new ones

nicklloyd
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 18:32 pm
Contact:

Re: My retro Colnago Master

Postby nicklloyd » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:03 pm

The Master has had a rebuild. Not quite as retro now. But as the frame wasn't l'eroica compliant I thought I'd put stuff on that slows me down better and will probably get ridden more.

Just a chain and a narrower 111mm italian bottom bracket to fit the chainset I have. Looking forward to riding this soon though.
Nick

Retul Bike Fits at Romero Performance
2009 BMC SL-C Pro Machine Super Record
1969 Carlton Longfellow Single Speed

User avatar
FransJacques
Posts: 2104
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:04 am

Re: My retro Colnago Master

Postby FransJacques » Mon Jun 10, 2013 22:53 pm

Gorgeous, see if you can source some cobalto nuts for the brakes or heck, go whole hog and get some Deltas and you've got the bike that got me into cycling.

Edwig would be jealous.
When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
---------------


Return to “Your Road Bikes”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests