The war on Britains roads, 5th Dec BBC

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!

Re: The war on Britains roads, 5th Dec BBC

Postby nik6158 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 20:54 pm

never had a problem on my commute from derby to kegworth every day.
nik6158

Postby mybreakfastconsisted » Fri Nov 30, 2012 22:18 pm

Cycling groups and MPs condemn BBC1 documentary about road users.

Programme titled The War on Britain's Roads accused of endangering cyclists by stereotyping them as reckless.

MPs have joined motoring and cycling groups to condemn a BBC1 documentary which purports to show the "war" between cyclists and other vehicles on British roads, with some warning that it could actually endanger cyclists by wrongly stereotyping them as reckless.

They have also questioned why the programme, scheduled to run on Wednesday evening, presents excerpts from a professionally shot commercial film of cycle couriers staging a breakneck race through central London as ordinary footage, saying this seems deliberately misrepresentative.

Ian Austin, the Labour MP who co-chairs the all-party cycling group in parliament, said he feared the programme could make cycling more dangerous. He said: "I'm not in favour of banning things but I don't really see the point of broadcasting something so stupid, sensationalist, simplistic and irresponsible. It doesn't reflect what Britain's roads are like for the vast majority of people who use them."

BBC publicity material for The War on Britain's Roads, promises to put viewers "into the middle of the battle that is raging between two-wheeled road users and their four-wheeled counterparts". Made by an independent company, Leopard Films, it is based on footage shot by cyclists using helmet-mounted cameras, an increasingly common accessory for riders to both share video of their journeys and, if needed, document dangerous behaviour by drivers. It includes scenes of cyclists being almost crushed by lorries and cars and of confrontations and assaults, as well as interviews with drivers, cyclists and a woman whose daughter was killed by a cement lorry while on a bike.

The BBC, which insists the programme is "fair and balanced", has refused to let pressure groups see it in advance, including one cycling organisation which assisted the producers but became concerned its advice was being ignored. However, some of them were able to view a copy sent to the Guardian.

Austin said he was deeply worried by the divisive tone: "I think it's dangerous to promote this culture of confrontation on the roads. It makes cycling more dangerous. The image of cycling the show presents doesn't really represent what it's like for most people in Britain. If that's the impression motorists get of Britain's cyclists it's not going to help road users treat each other with respect."

Austin was particularly concerned by the footage of couriers weaving at high speed through traffic and pedestrians. It was shot in 2006 by a US film maker, Lucas Brunelle, who sells DVDs of his footage, something not mentioned in the programme. Austin said: "I cycle in London every week, and have been for years. I've seen lots of car drivers driving badly, lots of cyclists doing things they shouldn't, and everyone should obey the rules of the road. But I've not seen cycling like that. The idea that they present that as normal cycling is mad, irresponsible and dangerous."

Charlie Lloyd from the London Cycling Campaign also said he was worried by this sequence: "The programme's integrity is destroyed by the use of six-year-old commercial video footage of professional cyclists doing reckless stunts, endangering themselves and everyone else. Showing this as real behaviour is as false as presenting a James Bond car chase as how average people drive to work. The programme makers chose to fan the flames of aggression on the roads, that can only increase the risk for all of us."

Roger Geffen, policy director for national cyclists' group the CTC, said they met the film's producers a year ago and provided statistics showing a long-term increase in cycling safety. He said: "Instead of covering this good news story the BBC has instead chosen to portray cycling as an activity solely for battle-hardened males with helmets and cameras. This hostile stereotyping merely scares mums, children and others back into their cars."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... -bbc1-road
mybreakfastconsisted

Postby Kieran_Burns » Tue Dec 04, 2012 17:09 pm

http://www.autocar.co.uk/blogs/anything ... ains-roads

A documentary that airs on BBC One at 9pm tomorrow evening makes interesting viewing for anyone who travels to work on either four or two wheels.

Titled The War on Britain’s Roads, the programme investigates the often-volatile relationship between motorists and cyclists as they try to co-exist on our streets.

Before I watched a preview of the documentary last night, I was concerned that it might be another anti-motoring tirade, but in fact it is very balanced.

Cyclists, van drivers, cabbies and car drivers speak candidly about their experiences of other road users. We hear about cyclists who ride through red traffic lights – "because it was green for pedestrians" – and see worrying footage of drivers using iPads on the move.

The interviews are interspersed by footage from ‘helmet cams’, which an increasing number of cyclists are wearing to record the near-misses they have with motorists and the occasional abuse they receive. The footage is compelling and terrifying in equal measure, not least the Glaswegian who has a near-death experience with an inattentive HGV driver on a roundabout.

It is clear that the cyclists are not completely without fault. To me, a couple of the show’s main pro-cycling protagonists come across as excessively antagonistic towards other road users. It seems to me that some two-wheeled vigilantes relish going out of their way to propagate conflict and film it on their helmet cameras.

Most, however, come across as sensible, grown-up folk who just want to get from A to B without having their lives put in danger. The prevailing message that comes out of the programme is that most cyclists and motorists are keen to harmoniously co-exist, but the antics of the minority cause bad feeling on both sides.

In my view, the programme is also evidence that bicycles should carry registration plates in the same way that all other vehicles on the road do, as well as factory-fitted lights to a proper, EU-specified standard.

While motorists who commit minor transgressions can be identified on traffic cameras via their car registration plates, cyclists can get away with similar offences in anonymity, a disparity that contributes to the tension between the two groups.

Le sigh....
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
Kieran_Burns

Postby UndercoverElephant » Tue Dec 04, 2012 17:11 pm

It was all going so well up to that point as well.
UndercoverElephant

Postby Kieran_Burns » Tue Dec 04, 2012 17:11 pm

That's exactly what I thought
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Kieran_Burns

Postby rjsterry » Tue Dec 04, 2012 17:17 pm

Kieran_Burns wrote:http://www.autocar.co.uk/blogs/anything-goes/motorists-versus-cyclists-britains-roads

A documentary that airs on BBC One at 9pm tomorrow evening makes interesting viewing for anyone who travels to work on either four or two wheels.

Titled The War on Britain’s Roads, the programme investigates the often-volatile relationship between motorists and cyclists as they try to co-exist on our streets.

Before I watched a preview of the documentary last night, I was concerned that it might be another anti-motoring tirade, but in fact it is very balanced.

Cyclists, van drivers, cabbies and car drivers speak candidly about their experiences of other road users. We hear about cyclists who ride through red traffic lights – "because it was green for pedestrians" – and see worrying footage of drivers using iPads on the move.

The interviews are interspersed by footage from ‘helmet cams’, which an increasing number of cyclists are wearing to record the near-misses they have with motorists and the occasional abuse they receive. The footage is compelling and terrifying in equal measure, not least the Glaswegian who has a near-death experience with an inattentive HGV driver on a roundabout.

It is clear that the cyclists are not completely without fault. To me, a couple of the show’s main pro-cycling protagonists come across as excessively antagonistic towards other road users. It seems to me that some two-wheeled vigilantes relish going out of their way to propagate conflict and film it on their helmet cameras.

Most, however, come across as sensible, grown-up folk who just want to get from A to B without having their lives put in danger. The prevailing message that comes out of the programme is that most cyclists and motorists are keen to harmoniously co-exist, but the antics of the minority cause bad feeling on both sides.

In my view, the programme is also evidence that bicycles should carry registration plates in the same way that all other vehicles on the road do, as well as factory-fitted lights to a proper, EU-specified standard.

While motorists who commit minor transgressions can be identified on traffic cameras via their car registration plates, cyclists can get away with similar offences in anonymity, a disparity that contributes to the tension between the two groups.

Le sigh....

Ha! As if it were that easy.
1997 Giant Peloton 7200 - FCN 4 (5 if it looks like rain)
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress
1980s BSA 10sp

"Be there, eat sausages, gain ultimate respect"
rjsterry

Postby Origamist » Tue Dec 04, 2012 17:30 pm

From the trailer, it appears that CycleGaz, SonoftheWindsINC, Magnatom etc have all released helmet cam film for use by the documentary-makers.

I refused to take part, but am hoping that my fears about the production will be unfounded.
Origamist

Postby mybreakfastconsisted » Tue Dec 04, 2012 17:34 pm

They should show the car chase from Ronin as balance to the Brunelle footage, shot 6 years ago to sell a dvd.
mybreakfastconsisted

Postby Kieran_Burns » Tue Dec 04, 2012 17:40 pm

Origamist wrote:From the trailer, it appears that CycleGaz, SonoftheWindsINC, Magnatom etc have all released helmet cam film for use by the documentary-makers.

I refused to take part, but am hoping that my fears about the production will be unfounded.

I offered my zen videos and examples of great overtakes and drivers apologising. Oddly, it was never taken up.

Oh, and just to point out. I'm getting increasingly reluctant to use my helmet cam now....

The more I read about this thing, the more worried I become. I might actually end up writing in to complain. (after it's aired of course)
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Kieran_Burns

Postby gtvlusso » Tue Dec 04, 2012 20:07 pm

Origamist wrote:

In all seriousness, the chance to have your films used on TV must be really hard to refuse. so, I don't blame the guys who have allowed use of their footage at all. I hope your fears are unfounded too! :shock:
gtvlusso

Postby fossyant » Tue Dec 04, 2012 20:34 pm

Some of the guys' videos are good (honest account of what does happen), but there are a couple of folk like sonofthewind that give us cyclists a bad name - goes round handing out 'tickets' and all sorts of stuff, and he looks a loon - lights/cameras all over helmet/bike = vigilante

Can't see it painting a good light on cycling/cyclists.

Gonna watch on catch up as out.
fossyant

Postby msmancunia » Tue Dec 04, 2012 22:03 pm

All public comments on all programmes go on a log on the Beeb intranet asap after the programme, verbatim. I'll have a look and see how many complaints we get.
Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
msmancunia

Postby Koncordski » Wed Dec 05, 2012 13:55 pm

msmancunia wrote:All public comments on all programmes go on a log on the Beeb intranet asap after the programme, verbatim. I'll have a look and see how many complaints we get.

I won't be watching, it's a pointless program with no clearly defined aim. There is simply no 'war' on the roads, most cyclists are also drivers anyway. It will appeal to the average daily mail reader by confirming their suspicion of lycra louts and it will scare new cyclists away from trying a perfectly safe activity for no good reason. I think there is a slimmed down role for the BBC as a national broadcaster (and a reduced licence fee) but when they buy cheaply commissioned shite like this with our money it makes it easier to not care about what happens to them.
----------------
#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
#2 Boeris Italia race steel
#3 Scott CR1 SL
#4 Trek 1.1 commuter
#5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
Koncordski

Postby Anti_Podean » Wed Dec 05, 2012 14:43 pm

I'm expecting it to be BBC's attempt to replicate The Great Global Warming Swindle's tabloid, fact-light sensationalism. I'll be watching it, though I've already watched Brunelle's Line Of Sight, in which the controversial UK Alleycat footage was used.
Anti_Podean

Postby anonymousblackfg » Wed Dec 05, 2012 15:31 pm

This is starting to look like a BBC backed dig at the Times for them running a cycling initiative.

I am not sure having a licence plate is that bad an idea, the police seem to ignor them to enforce traffic offences so why would it be that different for cyclists?
anonymousblackfg

Postby notsoblue » Wed Dec 05, 2012 15:37 pm

anonymousblackfg wrote:This is starting to look like a BBC backed dig at the Times for them running a cycling initiative.

I am not sure having a licence plate is that bad an idea, the police seem to ignor them to enforce traffic offences so why would it be that different for cyclists?

I can just imagine how ludicrous it would be to obtain and affix a "bike license plate" to a 12 year old's bike.
notsoblue

Postby bompington » Wed Dec 05, 2012 15:37 pm

anonymousblackfg wrote:This is starting to look like a BBC backed dig at the Times for them running a cycling initiative.

Bike licence plates been debated a few times round here. For starters, I am not going to be happy to spend the time and money necessary to get them on all my bikes, not to mention my kids' bikes - and what exactly are the police going to do when a CCTV catches Bompette riding on the pavement on her way to primary school?
bompington

Postby notsoblue » Wed Dec 05, 2012 15:40 pm

Anti_Podean wrote:I'm expecting it to be BBC's attempt to replicate The Great Global Warming Swindle's tabloid, fact-light sensationalism. I'll be watching it, though I've already watched Brunelle's Line Of Sight, in which the controversial UK Alleycat footage was used.

I'm not going to lie, I love Lucas Brunelle's work.
notsoblue

Postby Cycloslalomeur » Wed Dec 05, 2012 16:33 pm

bompington wrote:

Bike licence plates been debated a few times round here. For starters, I am not going to be happy to spend the time and money necessary to get them on all my bikes, not to mention my kids' bikes - and what exactly are the police going to do when a CCTV catches Bompette riding on the pavement on her way to primary school?

Flanders (or maybe Wallonia as well but I've never seen a French-language plate) used to have a bicycle registration scheme complete with licence plates and, yes, vehicle excise duty. It was abolished quite some time ago, probably for being more trouble than it was worth, but I often see bicycles whose owners never bothered to remove the plate from their machine.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/52 ... 10er9.jpg/
Cycloslalomeur

Postby iPete » Wed Dec 05, 2012 16:42 pm

fortunately I'll be down the pub tonight, can't be dealing with such cringe worthy, sensationalist, stereotyping tv.

but looking forward to alley catting across london, blind drink on the fixie chasing the last train
iPete

PreviousNext

Return to Commuting Chat