How to tell if a rear mech is bent ?

Sorting out your thrunge brackets, fettling your inter-rositers and even stuff about bike parts.
Chunkers1980

Re: How to tell if a rear mech is bent ?

Postby Chunkers1980 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 16:23 pm

I think you'll find it is just the hanger than was bent. Doesn't have to be much and with the angle is magnified by the cage.

Positive? The guy was basically 'advising' you to buy something that wasn't needed and would not do as they say. I did not mean you were whinging as such, just that you said cheap fix and he was saying to buy a shifter as well as a mech to fix. A classic SRAM is more tolerable to bad indexing and mucky cables rubbish a few people spout on here, it grinds my gears ;-)

CubeCrazy

Postby CubeCrazy » Tue Dec 04, 2012 16:34 pm

Well new (old/original) hanger on and looks like thats sorted it :D

I bought that red alloy hanger because it was red and would match the bike, but it is way lighter and appears way softer than the original one that came with the bike.

I am starting to learn the hard way that this weight weeny balloney is not all its cracked up to be, bullet proof even heavy parts have gotta be the way forward, only cost me about 1500 quid in mods to learn that lesson :lol:

When the bike is in the large chain ring and the largest of the rear cassette the chain does come off the bottom jockey wheel at quite some angle still, but its not grinding and making the noise like it was before, I'll have to compare it on a friends bike to see if theirs is the same.

All I have done is put the new hanger on and without any adjustment its already perfect up and down the cassette :D am that excited am gonna bang the lights on and take it for a spin.

Thanks everybody for their input today, I was this close to getting a new mech and it probably wasnt needed.

I'll confirm once more after test ride if am back in action, hopefully this post with pics may go to serve other newbies who may have the same problem in the future 8)

cooldad

Postby cooldad » Tue Dec 04, 2012 16:54 pm

CubeCrazy wrote:I bought that red alloy hanger because it was red and would match the bike, but it is way lighter and appears way softer than the original one that came with the bike.

Strong is not better with hangers (as long as they are not made of butter). They are supposed to bend before the frame breaks.

CubeCrazy wrote:When the bike is in the large chain ring and the largest of the rear cassette the chain does come off the bottom jockey wheel at quite some angle still, but its not grinding and making the noise like it was before, I'll have to compare it on a friends bike to see if theirs is the same.

You shouldn't be using big/big or small/small combos anyway - too much of an angle.
I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools

Chunkers1980

Postby Chunkers1980 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 16:56 pm

You do want hangers that are weak though, one of the very few places as it saves your frame. Perhaps if they do bend too easily they are a false economy, but it depends on the price of the mech you're trying to save I suppose.

I knew you'd come round to all this weight weenie stuff, I remember your upgrade thread around a year ago concentrating on the weight over anything else. Fit and forget and going for a good poo is much better and a more longer term time saving approach.

CubeCrazy

Postby CubeCrazy » Tue Dec 04, 2012 17:26 pm

Well just got back from a ride, man the bike rides like new :D

So it was just a bent hanger afterall.

Interesting points guys on having a weak hanger to save the frame/mech, totally makes sense, I think the thing here is to always carry a spare, such a small light weight component you wont notice this in your rucksack, am gonna defo buy another.

Cooldad a friend of mine always rides round in the large chainring and I was always in the middle, I thought he was mad, so I gave it a go and I can go most places now in the large chainring, fitness has defo come on by it, but I will be sure to go into middle ring rather than large/large for a safer suitable drive.

Yeah I wasted a small fortune on carbon this, 150g that, wish I never had to be fair, even the wheelset wasn't worth 400 notes on this bike, still ya live n learn and i'll know for next time.

Am chuffed to be back on the trails and to think all it was, was a bent hanger :shock:

zx6man

Postby zx6man » Wed Dec 05, 2012 09:47 am

Large/Large combo can supposedely wreck your chain in no time, as said, best to drop to middle and down a few cogs on the back.

Glad you are all sorted.

70\'sPenguin

Postby 70\'sPenguin » Thu Dec 06, 2012 21:27 pm

CubeCrazy wrote:
Yeah I wasted a small fortune on carbon this, 150g that, wish I never had to be fair, even the wheelset wasn't worth 400 notes on this bike, still ya live n learn and i'll know for next time.

Slightly going off topic but...

I agree the wheels were a bit overkill (crest/switch hubs would have been half the price for <200g heavier), but i dont think you "wasted" money or time on this bike. Ok you arent a racer and you didnt "need" any of it, but it got you on the bike more and riding a lot more also! I guarantee if you hadnt weenied the bike you wouldnt have enjoyed it as much. Now your fitness level is up you can see that the weight isnt as noticable, or needed, but i still maintain what you did was not a waste.

As for going SS, why not just go 1x9, stick a 38 up front and stay in a high gear for as much as you can. then, when you need the lower gears, you can use em.

Or as Mentioned on another thread on here, perhaps look into a CX bike instead - shiney new project......mmmmm new parts.

CubeCrazy

Postby CubeCrazy » Thu Dec 06, 2012 21:40 pm

Yeah some good points there penguin :)

I am tempted to go 1 x 9 but so far not found out an idiots guide on how to do it, whats required etc, but I do look for info as and when I got time on here.

CX bike is that a cyclocross ? am always interested in a new project :oops:

Chunkers1980

Postby Chunkers1980 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 21:44 pm

Yep.

70\'sPenguin

Postby 70\'sPenguin » Thu Dec 06, 2012 22:04 pm

Remove front shifter
Remove chainrings
Remove front deraileur (unless you want it as a chainguide)
Buy singlespeed Chainring 38t
Put it on middle ring placing.
Buy shorter chainring bolts and bolt on ring.
Remeasure chain

Or just read this :P

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/w ... ing-29342/

CubeCrazy

Postby CubeCrazy » Sat Dec 08, 2012 15:22 pm

Thanks a lot guys, also thanks Penguin for the step by step I needed and the link, its bookmarked.

I can see 1x9 coming this way soon 8)

Return to “MTB Workshop & Tech”