anyone considering 26ers still?

Discuss the eternal "Which fork/bike/tyres should I buy?" questions.
User avatar
The Rookie
Posts: 23049
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 09:29 am

Re: anyone considering 26ers still?

Postby The Rookie » Tue Dec 04, 2012 15:50 pm

The graphs have the normal fudge on where the X-axis crosses the Y (not 'out of scale' though), yes, but the times for the 26er are still markedly slower than the other 2.

User avatar
cooldad
Posts: 28171
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 22:01 pm

Re: anyone considering 26ers still?

Postby cooldad » Tue Dec 04, 2012 15:54 pm

Deja Vu anyone?
I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools

User avatar
BlueAdvocate
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 20:35 pm

Re: anyone considering 26ers still?

Postby BlueAdvocate » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:04 am

He rides his Dad's bike
He rides his Dad's bike
He's got a 29er
He rides his Dad's bike

User avatar
diy
Posts: 6383
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 20:49 pm

Re: anyone considering 26ers still?

Postby diy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 13:57 pm

The bit that is missing is the analysis of the rider. If 29" is better than 26" then why not 32" or 34", the reason is it would make the bike so tall in relation to the other geometry that you'd need to be 6'5" to get one big enough to work.

User avatar
ddraver
Posts: 17371
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2005 15:57 pm

Re: anyone considering 26ers still?

Postby ddraver » Wed Dec 05, 2012 15:54 pm

^Its just not an argument that, its the logical fallacy known as reductio ad absurdam.

There is a balance between the good points or larger wheels vs the bad/good points of larger/smaller wheels. For most human beings, which are about 160-200m tall, a wheel somewhere between 24-29in fits best. Just because for some people a larger wheel is better than a small one, it does nt mean that a bigger one still will be even better.

The balance for some people is 26", some 650b, some 29" depending on what you want from your ride, be that speed/fun/exploring nature or whatever...
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver
- Blog-http://davekio.wordpress.com/

User avatar
Thewaylander
Posts: 8689
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 18:05 pm

Re: anyone considering 26ers still?

Postby Thewaylander » Wed Dec 05, 2012 16:08 pm

once i have as much fun flinging a big wheeler about as a 26er then there in, but they aren't there quicker on pretty bog standard xc stuff, but steep techincal fast stuff i don't think so.

marz
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 16:49 pm

Re: anyone considering 26ers still?

Postby marz » Wed Dec 05, 2012 16:13 pm

ddraver wrote:^Its just not an argument that, its the logical fallacy known as reductio ad absurdam.

There is a balance between the good points or larger wheels vs the bad/good points of larger/smaller wheels. For most human beings, which are about 160-200m tall, a wheel somewhere between 24-29in fits best. Just because for some people a larger wheel is better than a small one, it does nt mean that a bigger one still will be even better.

The balance for some people is 26", some 650b, some 29" depending on what you want from your ride, be that speed/fun/exploring nature or whatever...


Wheel diameter has almost nothing to do with rider height. The pros and cons of a 29er wheel are the same if the rider is 5`1" or 6`5".

To the OP, yes I'm still considering a new 26er, but also a 650b and another 29er. For me wheel size is like tyre choices, pick the right one for the riding conditions and objectives.

What would be cool is an adjustable frame could be made to take the different wheel sizes.

User avatar
ddraver
Posts: 17371
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2005 15:57 pm

Re: anyone considering 26ers still?

Postby ddraver » Wed Dec 05, 2012 16:24 pm

marz wrote:Wheel diameter has almost nothing to do with rider height. The pros and cons of a 29er wheel are the same if the rider is 5`1" or 6`5".


I never said it did (the opposite in fact)...

If Human beings were 3m tall not 1.5ish, do you think 26in wheels would be the best ones to use? No...
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver
- Blog-http://davekio.wordpress.com/

alas58
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 20:22 pm

Re: anyone considering 26ers still?

Postby alas58 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 16:29 pm

I have both a 26er and a 29er, but have no plans to go down the 650b route. Both have good merits and meet a number of different situations. Moda seem to still follow the 26er route, and do not at the moment have a 29er.

User avatar
leaflite
Posts: 1577
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 08:46 am

Re: anyone considering 26ers still?

Postby leaflite » Wed Dec 05, 2012 16:37 pm

From what ive seen, there is very little difference between a 26inch wheel and a 650b one. It certainly isnt half way between 26 and 29. I dont really see the point in buying new forks, tyres and wheels for so little benefit.

Im happy riding my 26inch bike. 29ers may be better in some ways, but currently all the ones ive seen are more expensive, heavier and fugly. Until this changes, im going to stick with what ive got.

All the mags ive read, whilst praising the new 29inch versions of bikes, are mourning the loss of the 26 inch versions(Eg MBR over the spesh camber). This says it all I think-there is a place for both in the market.

User avatar
bennett_346
Posts: 5072
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 09:47 am

Re: anyone considering 26ers still?

Postby bennett_346 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 19:08 pm

ddraver wrote:For most human beings, which are about 160-200m tall

I'm about 1/100th of that.

User avatar
ddraver
Posts: 17371
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2005 15:57 pm

Re: anyone considering 26ers still?

Postby ddraver » Thu Dec 06, 2012 07:57 am

bennett_346 wrote:
ddraver wrote:For most human beings, which are about 160-200m tall

I'm about 1/100th of that.


Oh Damn and Blast!!
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver
- Blog-http://davekio.wordpress.com/

User avatar
The Rookie
Posts: 23049
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 09:29 am

Re: anyone considering 26ers still?

Postby The Rookie » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:53 am

leaflite wrote:From what ive seen, there is very little difference between a 26inch wheel and a 650b one. It certainly isnt half way between 26 and 29. I dont really see the point in buying new forks, tyres and wheels for so little benefit.

The point is that the test showed they have 95% of the benefit though, so your argument just crashed and burnt!

User avatar
godzeus
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 15:01 pm

Re: anyone considering 26ers still?

Postby godzeus » Thu Dec 06, 2012 15:44 pm

diy wrote:I also tried a 29er and found it a solution to a problem I don't have.

So nicely put! I prefer 26ers and i always will. I divide my bike use in 2 category's. Need and recreation.
Need = commuting and general going from point A to point B in the city. Be it visiting a friend or going out clubbing (i sh** u not :D ).
Recreation = I'm not coming back home unless my legs hurt like hell. I hope my bike makes it home in one peace.
Now as i understand it a 29-er would make my needs harder and my recreation easier (some1 prove me wrong here). That is the exact opposite of what i want.
I also noticed that many manufacturers have just about given up on 26-ers. More than 65% of the 2013 models have been replaced with 29 bikes. Personally i think they r just brainwashing a lot of ppl. Getting them to buy new bikes. "Enough of this buying parts nonsense" as they are rubbing their hands :lol:

So if ill need to order a 26 frame direct from china in 3-5 years. So be it!

User avatar
leaflite
Posts: 1577
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 08:46 am

Re: anyone considering 26ers still?

Postby leaflite » Thu Dec 06, 2012 15:46 pm

The Beginner wrote:
leaflite wrote:From what ive seen, there is very little difference between a 26inch wheel and a 650b one. It certainly isnt half way between 26 and 29. I dont really see the point in buying new forks, tyres and wheels for so little benefit.

The point is that the test showed they have 95% of the benefit though, so your argument just crashed and burnt!



not what I read!
Whilst it will offer an improvement in rollover ability etc, the fact is that a 26inch wheel has a diameter of 559mm without tyre. A 650b has 584, and a 29er has 622mm.

The 650b significantly less than halfway between the two, so logically the benefits will be far less pronounced.

User avatar
pilch
Posts: 1105
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 09:59 am

Re: anyone considering 26ers still?

Postby pilch » Thu Dec 06, 2012 16:53 pm

godzeus wrote:Recreation = I'm not coming back home unless my legs hurt like hell. I hope my bike makes it home in one peace.
Now as i understand it a 29-er would make my needs harder and my recreation easier (some1 prove me wrong here).


Why would it make your needs harder & your recreation easier?

Cant say i've noticed an awful lot of difference commuting on a 29er.... and i've done plenty of 'recreational' rides where my legs hurt... on a 26 and a 29er... so I don't really follow that argument?
A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer

User avatar
godzeus
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 15:01 pm

Re: anyone considering 26ers still?

Postby godzeus » Thu Dec 06, 2012 17:14 pm

It's harder to get a 29er going. In the city where i stop and start and stop and start.....
The point is not to get to work wet :)

User avatar
pilch
Posts: 1105
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 09:59 am

Re: anyone considering 26ers still?

Postby pilch » Thu Dec 06, 2012 21:31 pm

godzeus wrote:It's harder to get a 29er going. In the city where i stop and start and stop and start.....
The point is not to get to work wet :)


Quality :lol:
A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer

User avatar
The Rookie
Posts: 23049
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 09:29 am

Re: anyone considering 26ers still?

Postby The Rookie » Thu Dec 06, 2012 22:13 pm

leaflite wrote:The 650b significantly less than halfway between the two, so logically the benefits will be far less pronounced.

Well read it again as clearly you missed the section called RESULTS which shows your logic to be an ars*!

jairaj
Posts: 2892
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 17:26 pm

Re: anyone considering 26ers still?

Postby jairaj » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:09 am

I'm still looking at 26ers. I very rarely by a whole new bike but instead replace bits as they break / wear out/ or I decided they are not shiny enough. So my bike is like a constantly evolving machine. Parts change bit by bit until eventually its a different bike all together. I recently invested a considerable amount of money on new forks and wheels and I'm not prepared to take a hit and sell these off 2nd hand just yet to make a move to 29er. Saying that I haven't even tried one yet so don't even know if would even like it?


Return to “MTB Buying Advice”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests