Rapha - Pro shorts or Classic shorts?

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
ALIHISGREAT

Rapha - Pro shorts or Classic shorts?

Postby ALIHISGREAT » Wed Dec 05, 2012 17:12 pm

Trying to decide which to go for for next season?

Pro
-cooler
-lighter
-shiny lycra
-more compressive fit

Classic
-more durable?
-thicker pad?
-longer leg

Is Rapha stuff really more durable? Both my Endura and DHB shorts which have shared the burden of ~2000 miles are looking rather tatty -> Both have lost colour, shape, have thinned out, and the DHB shorts have loose elastic threads on the seam of the gripper :?

Also what's the fit like in Rapha sizing?

thegreatdivide

Re: Rapha - Pro shorts or Classic shorts?

Postby thegreatdivide » Wed Dec 05, 2012 17:37 pm

In bibs I wear Rapha small and Assos med. I’m 5’ 7”.

I've got the Classics and they look as good as new after a year of riding. Over the spring, summer and autumn I mixed them up with a pair of Assos Uno's so they didn’t get used for every ride. The pad is very comfortable. It’s not Mille comfortable as I’ve discovered after buying a pair of t607’s for the winter, but I did a couple of centuries in them and a couple of 80 milers – no bum ache.

As far as I’m aware the pad in the Classic is the same thickness as the Pro Team, but the latter is shaped differently. The Pro Team has more compression than the Classic and that appeals to me.

I like the Classic’s understated looks and I’m now considering a pair of the Pro Team’s for next spring as the Uno’s are getting a wee bit old now.
"Crevaison sur les paves..."

schweiz

Postby schweiz » Wed Dec 05, 2012 17:52 pm

take a look at these if it's durability you're after:

http://cervorosso.com/index.php?section ... oductId=98

I've found these to be durable and comfortable all summer too.....

http://cervorosso.com/index.php?section ... ductId=119
http://cervorosso.com/index.php?section ... oductId=53

on-yer-bike

Postby on-yer-bike » Wed Dec 05, 2012 18:56 pm

Ive got both and there certainly is more compression in the pro shorts. Both have the same pad now and the pro come in two leg lengths. The classic are soft and comfy the pro are tight and comfy. The pro are my favourite shorts.
Assos just go grey.
Pegoretti
Colnago
Campagnolo

ALIHISGREAT

Postby ALIHISGREAT » Wed Dec 05, 2012 20:01 pm

on-yer-bike wrote:Ive got both and there certainly is more compression in the pro shorts. Both have the same pad now and the pro come in two leg lengths. The classic are soft and comfy the pro are tight and comfy. The pro are my favourite shorts.
Assos just go grey.

any views on which is the more durable of the two?

on-yer-bike

Postby on-yer-bike » Thu Dec 06, 2012 09:38 am

I havent had any problems with either. However, I think the first generation of PRO shorts were fragile and i think they've been redesigned. You have to be more careful putting the PROs on you cant just yank them from the bibs because of the tightness and the seaming. Also, some people may not like the horizontal seems on the legs as they can create bulging on the inner thigh. I would buy both and send back the ones you dont want.
Pegoretti
Colnago
Campagnolo

Return to “Road Buying Advice”