Double triple?

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
Errorist

Double triple?

Postby Errorist » Wed Dec 05, 2012 16:06 pm

Got some Ultegra triple STIs that I'd like to use on a double chainset.

Does anyone know if its possible to set up the left shifter/front mech to allow use of the double chainset?

Thanks!

alfablue

Re: Double triple?

Postby alfablue » Wed Dec 05, 2012 16:32 pm

Yes, it is. Just set the mech upper and lower limit screws and cable length appropriately.

jomoj

Postby jomoj » Wed Dec 05, 2012 21:22 pm

set it up so the middle lever stop is for the inner chain ring and the outer stop is for the outer chainring. It means you'll get a slack cable if you drop into the inner chainring but you'll soon get used to not doing that. Setting it to inner lever stop=inner ring and middle stop=outer ring means it's possible to break the internals if you accidentally try and shift too forcefully into the outer lever stop.

Errorist

Postby Errorist » Wed Dec 05, 2012 23:16 pm

Great, thanks for the advice!

Sjef

Postby Sjef » Thu Dec 06, 2012 22:52 pm

jomoj wrote:set it up so the middle lever stop is for the inner chain ring and the outer stop is for the outer chainring. It means you'll get a slack cable if you drop into the inner chainring but you'll soon get used to not doing that. Setting it to inner lever stop=inner ring and middle stop=outer ring means it's possible to break the internals if you accidentally try and shift too forcefully into the outer lever stop.

I do not agree: you should set up the inner lever stop for the inner chain ring and the middle lever stop for the outer chain ring. These chainblades have the same position as the ones on the triple chain set that they substitute. From my practical experience. + screwing down the screws on the front derailer.

jomoj

Postby jomoj » Thu Dec 06, 2012 23:04 pm

Sjef wrote:
jomoj wrote:set it up so the middle lever stop is for the inner chain ring and the outer stop is for the outer chainring. It means you'll get a slack cable if you drop into the inner chainring but you'll soon get used to not doing that. Setting it to inner lever stop=inner ring and middle stop=outer ring means it's possible to break the internals if you accidentally try and shift too forcefully into the outer lever stop.

I do not agree: you should set up the inner lever stop for the inner chain ring and the middle lever stop for the outer chain ring. These chainblades have the same position as the ones on the triple chain set that they substitute. From my practical experience. + screwing down the screws on the front derailer.

from my practical experience of having broken a lever setting it up as you describe and subsequently reading about similar failures I would disagree.

Return to “Workshop”