War on Britain's Roads

The place for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
crispybug2

War on Britain's Roads

Postby crispybug2 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 22:34 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... ins_Roads/

Anybody watch this??

Have to say that most of stuff shown has already been shown from youtube on this very site!!
A couple of the helmet cam warriors did come across as complete knobs though!!

The Mrs ended the programme even more scared about me going out on the road than before it!!

RobertSims

Re: War on Britain's Roads

Postby RobertSims » Wed Dec 05, 2012 23:01 pm

basically boiled down to idiot cyclists in some cases and idiot drivers in others. Generally what we all knew already. Scottish guy with lorry on roundabout was scary though!! Agree wife now petrified about my commute tomorrow morning!
Triban 3

Frank the tank

Postby Frank the tank » Thu Dec 06, 2012 05:24 am

Just to concur really, it highlighted the fact all road users make mistakes and there are good/bad examples on all sides.

The cycle couriers (featured) really do the cycling community no favours at all absolutely shocking behaviour.

I thought the lady who's daughter was killed by the mixer was brilliant though.
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Postie John

Postby Postie John » Thu Dec 06, 2012 05:54 am

I think the programme was more a reflection on the sad decline of the BBC, which I love.

It was basically an hour of x-rated bicycle You've Been Framed.

The point, that's obvious to everyone already, was made in 5 mins and drawn out over the next 55.
Desperately using the grief of a mother to try and give the programme credibility.

Where were the answers?
Where was the expert opinion?
Where was the positives?

The programme could have gone to Copenhagen, and studied the very best in cycle safety.
A 20 mile cycling 'super highway' in and out of the city, totally away from any car or pedestrian.

What about Amsterdam, where large areas are shut off to motor vehicles.

Portland Oregon, Boulder Colorado, I'd imagine our Aussie posters could chip in with a city or two, where cycling has become king.

Perhaps going to Washington or New York to see how equally sized cities are dealing with an explosion of cyclists.

It could have been an intelligent kick start to the debate this country has to have, because people are KILLED DAILY, on the roads.
Instead we get the lowest denominator, just to get everyone (myself included) frothing at the mouth with rabid anger.

jonomc4

Postby jonomc4 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 06:46 am

The only way is Essex on bikes - lowest common denominator frills TV

BillyMansell

Postby BillyMansell » Thu Dec 06, 2012 06:48 am

Postie John wrote:I think the programme was more a reflection on the sad decline of the BBC, which I love.

It was basically an hour of x-rated bicycle You've Been Framed.

The point, that's obvious to everyone already, was made in 5 mins and drawn out over the next 55.
Desperately using the grief of a mother to try and give the programme credibility.

Where were the answers?
Where was the expert opinion?
Where was the positives?

The programme could have gone to Copenhagen, and studied the very best in cycle safety.
A 20 mile cycling 'super highway' in and out of the city, totally away from any car or pedestrian.

What about Amsterdam, where large areas are shut off to motor vehicles.

Portland Oregon, Boulder Colorado, I'd imagine our Aussie posters could chip in with a city or two, where cycling has become king.

Perhaps going to Washington or New York to see how equally sized cities are dealing with an explosion of cyclists.

It could have been an intelligent kick start to the debate this country has to have, because people are KILLED DAILY, on the roads.
Instead we get the lowest denominator, just to get everyone (myself included) frothing at the mouth with rabid anger.

Completely agree.

A couple of salient points lost among the BBC's current remit of a sensational story at any cost and be damned with intelligent thought and journalistic integrity.

Peddle Up!

Postby Peddle Up! » Thu Dec 06, 2012 09:54 am

Postie John wrote:I think the programme was more a reflection on the sad decline of the BBC, which I love.

It was basically an hour of x-rated bicycle You've Been Framed....

Trimmed to save space

First class summary. I suppose this might be the first in a series highlighting the points you raise, but I doubt it. Have you thought of writing to the BBC (Trust?) making these points? They might enjoy reading a sensible proposal instead of the usual foaming rage from Daily Mail readers. :)
Purveyor of "up" :)

brit66

Postby brit66 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:07 am

I thought it was sensationalist and would undoubtedly put off many considering taking up cycling.

I also thought the cyclist at the start of the programme was a complete tool - just the sort that gives us all a bad name.

Peddle Up!

Postby Peddle Up! » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:16 am

brit66 wrote:I also thought the cyclist at the start of the programme was a complete tool - just the sort that gives us all a bad name.

I thought he was a bit like Nap D. The movie Nap D, not our Nap D, of course. :)

frazered

Postby frazered » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:31 am

complaint submitted to BBC on this sensationalist rubbish that will likely result in more entrenchment and conflict between cyclists and other road users

cyclegaz on twitter looks to appear to regret appearing on the programme and it looks like he feels that he was misrepresented / portrayed incorrectly

durhamwasp

Postby durhamwasp » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:14 pm

The guy with the glasses who cycles round with a camera on his head in the middle of the road banging on the side of cars did us cyclists no favours at all. If i saw him doing that, as a cyclist i would like to punch him, never mind what the person in the car wants to do.
Kept talking about how he does "30mph" to work. Yeah, right.
http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....

Blacktemplar

Postby Blacktemplar » Thu Dec 06, 2012 13:02 pm

durhamwasp wrote:The guy with the glasses who cycles round with a camera on his head in the middle of the road banging on the side of cars did us cyclists no favours at all. If i saw him doing that, as a cyclist i would like to punch him, never mind what the person in the car wants to do.
Kept talking about how he does "30mph" to work. Yeah, right.

Mrs BT - a saintly woman :wink: without an aggressive bone in her body, on listening to CycleGaz observed (mildly) that even if she knew nothing about his self-righteous cycle-video tw@ttery she'd just want to "punch the fecker's lights out" anyway.... :lol:
"Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
Mark Twain

RDW

Postby RDW » Thu Dec 06, 2012 15:04 pm

Dr Hutch and Jan 'Everything We Hate About Cyclists' Etherington discussed it on Radio 4 this morning:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/b01p3n07?t=2h42m48s

Postie John

Postby Postie John » Thu Dec 06, 2012 15:27 pm

Peddle Up! wrote:First class summary. I suppose this might be the first in a series highlighting the points you raise, but I doubt it. Have you thought of writing to the BBC (Trust?) making these points? They might enjoy reading a sensible proposal instead of the usual foaming rage from Daily Mail readers. :)

As I'm still pretty peed off with the waste opportunity of a programme, I have done just that.
Using my post here as a template.
If I receive a reply that isn't just a fob off, I'll be sure to post it here.

Kieran_Burns

Postby Kieran_Burns » Fri Dec 07, 2012 17:15 pm

Frank the tank wrote:Just to concur really, it highlighted the fact all road users make mistakes and there are good/bad examples on all sides.

The cycle couriers (featured) really do the cycling community no favours at all absolutely shocking behaviour.

That was a commercial film made 6 years ago. A point completely missing from the program.
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

willhub

Postby willhub » Fri Dec 07, 2012 18:07 pm

Kieran_Burns wrote:
Frank the tank wrote:Just to concur really, it highlighted the fact all road users make mistakes and there are good/bad examples on all sides.

That was a commercial film made 6 years ago. A point completely missing from the program.

Does that mean it's fine? Were the authorities notified in advance to the filming?

Kieran_Burns

Postby Kieran_Burns » Fri Dec 07, 2012 18:20 pm

willhub wrote:
Kieran_Burns wrote:

Does that mean it's fine? Were the authorities notified in advance to the filming?

I think you have misunderstood my reason for pointing this out. It was to highlight the massive misrepresentation apparent in the program.
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

natrix

Postby natrix » Mon Dec 10, 2012 15:23 pm

As a bit of an aside, I thought that the ready-mixed concrete company came over quite well. At least they made a positive effort (and spent some money) to reduce cylist accidents.

Peddle Up!

Postby Peddle Up! » Mon Dec 10, 2012 18:34 pm

natrix wrote:As a bit of an aside, I thought that the ready-mixed concrete company came over quite well. At least they made a positive effort (and spent some money) to reduce cylist accidents.

Yes. Best outcome.

Jez mon

Postby Jez mon » Mon Dec 10, 2012 20:06 pm

Having spoken to a friend who is somewhat of a boy racer at times, and whose only connection to cycling is me...

I think as a community, we're in danger of being somewhat over-sensitive about the portrayal of cyclists as a group. Yes, he thought Gaz was a bit of a plank (also known commonly as, a young immature male of the species) but he also thought that what Traffic Droid did was often reasonable. He also commented that body panels can be replaced a lot more easily than the pink squishy bit on top of a bike and that anyone with half a brain could see that the show was sensationalised.

It's not going to do anything to placate the stereotypical Daily Mail reading scumbags who think that cyclists have no place on the road...but I think nothing short of a lobotomy would.

TLDR: Wasn't as bad as most here are making out, most reasonable and intelligent drivers will have seen the show for what it was and it's nigh on impossible to convince the others.
You live and learn. At any rate, you live
Twitter

Return to “The Cake Stop”