The big LIGHTS thread 2011-2014

Discuss the eternal "Which fork/bike/tyres should I buy?" questions.
Ouija

Re: The big LIGHTS thread 2011-2012

Postby Ouija » Fri Nov 30, 2012 22:46 pm

Just noticed a load of these in different colours being touted on ebay.

They mount to your quick release skewer to allow you to run handlebar lights down at the axle of your wheel.

Only one question.... how the hell do you turn the light on and off or change modes when it's right down there.?

kenan

Postby kenan » Sun Dec 02, 2012 20:39 pm

Anyone know if the magishine chargers: http://www.magicshine.co.uk/accessories ... 012uk.html

Work the the ebay lights XML T6: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CREE-XML-XM-L ... 0068030%26

KokaKona

Postby KokaKona » Sun Dec 02, 2012 23:06 pm

diy wrote:Has anyone AMP tested one of these:
http://www.lightmalls.com/ultrafire-501 ... ht-1-18650

I need some drop ins for a project I am doing and its cheaper to buy the above. But I don't want it with a 1AMP current otherwise I will go for the variable voltage version instead.

Any test results for the above its says 3A. Ideally I'd like current by voltage on low, med high, but current alone will do.

thanks

Those are the puppies I have.
These measurements were at 4.04V:
High: 1.67A
Med: 0.87A
Low: 0.11A

Quite conservatively driven really aren't they? I was a bit surprised, because to my untrained eyes they do seem pretty bright.
My only frame of reference really is my mate who has one of these L&M Seca 700s http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=seca+700&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUK337&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bpcl=39314241&biw=1600&bih=845&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=9374368797070738679&sa=X&ei=3927UPymA-Xb0QXB1oEI&ved=0CFYQ8wIwAA - and just one of the torches on high is visibly brighter.

I don't know if the driver is doing this or my shonky reclaimed laptop batteries, but at something between 4.0 and 3.9V I lose the higher modes (high plus the silly flashy ones) and at 3.7ish (IIRC) the medium mode goes off the menu too. So on the plus side there's no need for me to run the stopwatch in order not to brick my unprotected cells, but on the minus side my runtime would be a bit longer if they would only drain a bit lower before going into limp home mode...

diy

Postby diy » Mon Dec 03, 2012 14:56 pm

Thanks for that, not much use to me then.

Arthur Scrimshaw

Postby Arthur Scrimshaw » Mon Dec 03, 2012 22:19 pm

Ouija wrote:
Arthur Scrimshaw wrote:Got the Trustfire A8 yesterday and it's awsome, only niggle is that occasionally it switches to another mode when I hit a bump. Can anything be done about it, is it a fault or just the kind of issue with using a torch as a bike light?

Yeah, my A8 did that once over a really big bump. Wrapping tape around the battery until it's reasonably tight inside the torch fixed it (tight enough that you have to point the torch upwards and give a little tap to get it out....... like getting ketchup out of a old glass style bottle). Make sure that the ring around the spring with the two indentations next to it is tight. If you can shake the tail cap next to your ear and hear a rattle it's worked it's way loose. Pretty much standard procedure in all clicky style tailcap torches as they work by cutting the power momentarily to signal a desire for the LED driver to change modes. If you get a momentary interruption in power due to the battery banging about inside the tube and sliding back and forth or a loose inner tailcap mechanism then your going to get an accidental mode change.

Excellent light by the way. Runs very cool. Saw these mounts the other day that looks like it could deal with that fat body (just have mine ducktaped to an electron light bracket at the moment).

I tried tape but that wasn't successful, but then took a leaf out of Hope's book, my Hope 1 has a lump of dense foam on the threaded back plate which presses against the battery pack so I made a doughnut shaped spacer out of some foam pipe lagging which sits around the switch contact, this seems to have done the job.
My mount is this from DX

which says it goes up to 32mm but is barely holding it at that diameter, I've taped mine up with electrical tape and it actually looks quite smart.
Last edited by Arthur Scrimshaw on Tue Dec 04, 2012 09:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

KokaKona

Postby KokaKona » Mon Dec 03, 2012 23:19 pm

mik82

Postby mik82 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 20:01 pm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110923965729

Bought one of these for amusement. It's an XML T6 - ridiculously bright for the size (65mmx20mm). Would probably make a good emergency light that could be put in a back pocket (or a strobe to disorientate all oncoming traffic).

Bartimaeus

Postby Bartimaeus » Tue Dec 04, 2012 22:34 pm

KokaKona wrote:XM-L U3 bin emitter in this one (allegedly):
http://www.lightmalls.com/ultrafire-wf-501b-cree-xm-l-u3-1400-lumen-5-mode-led-flashlight-1-18650
Not bad for ~9 quid!

I've just had some fun trying to order from Lightmalls - the only option online is to pay for FedEx tracked which nearly $20. Via email I think I have sorted 'SG post' (whatever that is) for $4.55... so items are still cheap, but £3 more than they seem. I may still get one of those for £12 :D

Ouija

Postby Ouija » Wed Dec 05, 2012 00:32 am

mik82 wrote:Image

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110923965729

Bought one of these for amusement. It's an XML T6 - ridiculously bright for the size (65mmx20mm). Would probably make a good emergency light that could be put in a back pocket (or a strobe to disorientate all oncoming traffic).

That's exactly what i use mine for. Just stretch a yellow balloon over it and then set it on strobe and stuff it in the mesh pouch of my backpack.

KokaKona

Postby KokaKona » Wed Dec 05, 2012 22:47 pm

Bartimaeus wrote:
http://www.lightmalls.com/ultrafire-wf-501b-cree-xm-l-u3-1400-lumen-5-mode-led-flashlight-1-18650
Not bad for ~9 quid!

I've just had some fun trying to order from Lightmalls - the only option online is to pay for FedEx tracked which nearly $20. Via email I think I have sorted 'SG post' (whatever that is) for $4.55... so items are still cheap, but £3 more than they seem. I may still get one of those for £12 :D

"SG post" is probably Singapore airmail.

jairaj

Postby jairaj » Wed Dec 05, 2012 23:29 pm

Has any one spotted any lights using the new Cree XPG2? It has increased efficiency very similar to the XML but smaller die size so should produce a longer throw. Although can't handle as many amps as the XML so maximum brightness isn't as much.

It was released few months ago, I was hoping the manufacturers would come out with some products by now. As it should have been a simple swap with the old XPG.

andyrr

Postby andyrr » Thu Dec 06, 2012 15:56 pm

KokaKona wrote:
Bartimaeus wrote:
Not bad for ~9 quid!

"SG post" is probably Singapore airmail.

Using a carriage option other than FedEx woudl be a good thing - I got stung for an extra £17.50 over and above the £50-odd my light cost when FedEx chased me for a VAT charge PLUS an admin fee.
I raised the issue with LM themselves but they just told me to take it up with FedEx. I think that this local FedEx fee is the VAT/Customs charge or £7.50 and then they have the cheek to charge £10 to administer that ! I ignored FE's 1st letter/invoice but a few weeks later the 2nd arrived with short notice for payment so I've just stumped up as it isn't a massive amount, just feels wrong being enforced to use FE as the carrier, paying their carriage fee at the point of ordering and then getting that same international carrier wanting a further fee off me.

Bartimaeus

Postby Bartimaeus » Thu Dec 06, 2012 16:28 pm

If you want SG post then email service@lightmalls.com and ask... you just can't choose it through the website if shipping to the UK

ian_s

Postby ian_s » Thu Dec 06, 2012 16:48 pm

My pair of

have developed a tendency to flip into a strange mode after about 30 mins of running on medium (starting with fully charged cells). I thought it was just the one but they both seem to behave the same.

Basically the light goes dim - probably down to the low level. If I try to switch mode, the light flickers for a few seconds and then settles into medium/high for about 30 seconds or so, and then drops back to low. This is without any vibration which might cause power interruption.

Is this a low battery mode (which would be a bit surprising given only 30 mins running)? or some other known issue?
The torches are only a couple of months old and not been subject to any dodgy conditions/soakings etc.

Actually having got home last night I tried to provoke the problem again indoors, but they behaved immaculately for at least another hour - which kind of discounts the drained cell theory. Do they just not like the cold..?

Thanks,
Ian

diy

Postby diy » Thu Dec 06, 2012 18:14 pm

Ian s you have a lose connection somewhere. Strip tighten lube and refit everything.

KokaKona

Postby KokaKona » Fri Dec 07, 2012 08:58 am

diy wrote:Ian s you have a lose connection somewhere. Strip tighten lube and refit everything.

This is exactly what happens to mine (as mentioned in 03/Dec post) - I had assumed it was slightly iffy batteries and/or some feature of the driver to protect the batteries from over-discharge.

What do you mean by "lube" DIY? WD40 or something?

jairaj

Postby jairaj » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:13 am

grease on the threads and o rings. helps make it more water tight and fits back together smoother.

alfablue

Postby alfablue » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:17 am

InkZ wrote:I charged up my Torchy 2800's but these don't seem to work. The LEDs only light dim and the modes don't quite work properly.
A bit late I know, but I may have found the problem with the Torchy's and the 501/502b's. I had exactly the same thing happen yesterday with a 502b and Senybor batteries. I dismantled the whole torch. It turns out that the driver was shorting out on the reflector.

The white ring around the LED is thin self-adhesive card, it acts as an insulator between the driver board and the reflector.
The solder attaching one of the two wires to the board was a bit "ugly" and there was a sharp point on it, this had pierced the cardboard and was causing the short. I think having used the longer SenyBor batteries meant that the pointy bit of solder was forced through the card when I tightened the torch (I do tend to be a bit heavy handed). As a temporary fix I pulled off the white card ring and rotated it 90 degrees and replaced it so that it would cover the solder blobs. On reassembly the torch worked fine.

If it happens again I'll smooth off the solder and make a new insulator.

alfablue

Postby alfablue » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:21 am

ian_s wrote:My pair of

have developed a tendency to flip into a strange mode after about 30 mins of running on medium (starting with fully charged cells). I thought it was just the one but they both seem to behave the same.

Basically the light goes dim - probably down to the low level. If I try to switch mode, the light flickers for a few seconds and then settles into medium/high for about 30 seconds or so, and then drops back to low. This is without any vibration which might cause power interruption.

Is this a low battery mode (which would be a bit surprising given only 30 mins running)? or some other known issue?
The torches are only a couple of months old and not been subject to any dodgy conditions/soakings etc.

Actually having got home last night I tried to provoke the problem again indoors, but they behaved immaculately for at least another hour - which kind of discounts the drained cell theory. Do they just not like the cold..?

Thanks,
Ian
could it be the same as my issue described in the post above?

Ouija

Postby Ouija » Fri Dec 07, 2012 13:16 pm

ian_s wrote:My pair of

Thanks,
Ian

Funnily enough, i had a similar problem with my Trustfire A8 a couple of weeks ago when i left it running in the freezer (don't ask). Brightened up again when i took it out and left it to warm up in my living room. Put it down to something i heard about Li-Ion batteries not operating properly below freezing temperatures. Never really pursued it (maybe time for a little experiment).

"Conventional Li-ion chemistry starts to suffer as the temperature drops below 0°C and the internal impedance of the battery increases. The result of this effect is “voltage droop,” which becomes more pronounced at –20°C or lower. Cell capacity is also reduced during these lower temperatures. If these cells are used or stored at –50°C, irreparable damage may occur under certain conditions to internal separators within the cells, making the cells a safety hazard."

Return to “MTB Buying Advice”