Warmest winter gloves & gear - for a severe Raynauld's rider

Discuss the eternal "Which fork/bike/tyres should I buy?" questions.
dhobiwallah

Re: Warmest winter gloves & gear - for a severe Raynauld's r

Postby dhobiwallah » Mon Dec 03, 2012 20:07 pm

In the roadie world of unlimited expenditure Assos do a triple layer system (with the outer being a 'lobster mitt).

Not cheap - and I can't vouch for them (or afford them) - but there are reviews:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/review-gloves---full-finger/assos-winter-glove-system_97.html

Three layers must be reasonably warm :?

.blitz

Postby .blitz » Tue Dec 04, 2012 09:38 am

itguy2 wrote:The fox antifreeze ones sound like they're really good - might need to change my christmas order :)

miss notax - my wife has very small hands too and she has some specialized fingerless gloves but was looking at some gore wear ones that were XXS - might be worth checking out (they were winter gloves)

The sizing is on the small side. The waterproof liner is a bit like goretex and is removable but it doesn't stretch much. The outer is neoprene and stretches a lot. If you are at all unsure I would go for a bigger size.

Having said that imo they are intended for people who don't have a medical condition and I'm not sure you would find them warm enough. I would have a look at the Assos Winter gloves they're expensive but warmer. I think these http://www.parker-international.co.uk/2 ... loves.html are the latest version

Alibran

Postby Alibran » Wed Dec 05, 2012 14:50 pm

I've also read that it's very important to keep your neck warm because this affects the temperature of the blood in the area around the hypothalamus, which regulates body temperature. (ie if the blood around the hypothalamus is cooler than it should be, it will reduce blood flow to the extremities to maintain core temperature.)

miss notax

Postby miss notax » Wed Dec 05, 2012 14:58 pm

itguy2 wrote:miss notax - my wife has very small hands too and she has some specialized fingerless gloves but was looking at some gore wear ones that were XXS - might be worth checking out (they were winter gloves)

Thank you - i'll have a look at those :D
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc

Batmo

Postby Batmo » Wed Dec 05, 2012 20:38 pm

ddraver wrote:They re not cycling specific but Buffalo tops are extremely good, very very warm

Buffalo used to do a cycle specific top, I know because I own one. It tapers to a point at the front and back and sports a crotch strap! :shock:
I guess they wern't selling enough of them, but the combination of windproof Pertex shell and fibre-pile lining is extremely warm.

kristianprice

Postby kristianprice » Wed Dec 05, 2012 22:50 pm

I suffer from Raynauds and have done for so for quite some years now. I have Sealskin winter gloves, Endura strikes and various others. I take medication for this condition called Nifedipine in the 5mg capsules. If you take more than you should, it almost gives you the Ready Brek glow, but I wouldn't advise it.

In the colder months, I wear Better Than Silk socks under my Sealskin socks, or even just merino socks. I'm looking at getting some Woolie Boolies aswell.I'm not finding the sealskins to be too great to be honest.

I wear multiple breathable layers on my upper body and a waterproof shell if necessary, and so far, fingers crossed (if they'll work or have any feeling!) I have not had a problem this year. I also wear some Endura biblongs, and then baggy shorts over the top of that. Under my helmet I wear a Buff or if it's so cold a fleece balaclava.

That covers most bases. I have heard that silver lined gloves are very good aswell and the Raynauds Association in the US has some details about those. I have not looked for them in the UK to be honest.

Kris

Stu Coops

Postby Stu Coops » Thu Dec 06, 2012 08:06 am

dhobiwallah wrote:In the roadie world of unlimited expenditure Assos do a triple layer system (with the outer being a 'lobster mitt).

Not cheap - and I can't vouch for them (or afford them) - but there are reviews:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/review-gloves---full-finger/assos-winter-glove-system_97.html

Three layers must be reasonably warm :?

I used this system last year and pretty poor for the money but then again I do suffer with cold hands but I have gloves a third the price and just as good.
Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB

Thelonegroover

Postby Thelonegroover » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:16 am

Ber Nard wrote:I suffer from Raynauld's as well, though not as badly as you by the sounds of it. Cold hands stop me riding in the winter before anything else.

This year it has finally dawned on me that I could wear the 'best' gloves on the market and still get cold hands and the solution is to keep my torso and arms toasty. My reasoning is that if my body is cold then it's not going to send blood to the extremities if it can help it. If my core temperature is high, cold hands aren't such a problem.

A good long sleeve base layer, long sleeve jersey and a soft shell jacket that is wind proof/thermal on the arms as well as the body helps no end.

Rob

Thats a very good point, I'd also get some fine merino or silk liner gloves to wear underneath.
Genesis Core 30 green - the naughties
Giant Trance X2 - the teens
Genesis High Latitude 2x10 - the future (Until 650b came along!)

prawny

Postby prawny » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:48 am

I had some of these gore ones, I had to sell them as they were far far far to hot for me.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... s-12-45670

I wore them commuting home from work in the snow once and had to take them off, my hands were uncomfortably warm.
Saracen Dirttrax Disc
Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015
Voodoo Bizango - 2014

blablablacksheep

Postby blablablacksheep » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:42 pm

another suffering sod here :)

Have the typical looks from gf of "omg your feet look like a dead mans!"

I was told it just to wear extra layors and no need for medication as im quite a active person and it might just go in future.

But atm im using Gore Xenon gloves, mainly because their windproofing is excellent, and i find wind is the biggest problem with feeling cold.

I have notice though as of recent that if it rains they arent great as they tend to soak up quite a lot, but apart from sub zero temps they are the BEST gloves i have had.

Shoes i wear sealskinz, which arent that amazing but when paired with a second inner sock ie marino/good wickering sock and a overshoe it doe work.

tbh overshoes are the biggest thing i noticed that make a differance.
London2Brighton Challange 100k!
http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners

Thelonegroover

Postby Thelonegroover » Thu Dec 06, 2012 14:56 pm

prawny wrote:I had some of these gore ones, I had to sell them as they were far far far to hot for me.

I wore them commuting home from work in the snow once and had to take them off, my hands were uncomfortably warm.

Thats partly why I suggested two pairs, you can take one off if you get too warm. How did I ever think of that!

prawny

Postby prawny » Thu Dec 06, 2012 15:34 pm

Thelonegroover wrote:
prawny wrote:I had some of these gore ones, I had to sell them as they were far far far to hot for me.

Thats partly why I suggested two pairs, you can take one off if you get too warm. How did I ever think of that!

Where do you stop though? 50 pairs of silk gloves :twisted:
Saracen Dirttrax Disc
Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015
Voodoo Bizango - 2014

Thelonegroover

Postby Thelonegroover » Fri Dec 07, 2012 07:34 am

If you want 50 potential levels of warmth. Practically, I’d probably stop at two or three.

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Fri Dec 07, 2012 09:51 am

I have poor circulation which might be mild Raynauds - not found any cycle glove or boot, sock, overshoe combo that works for me. Best so far for my hands have been ski gloves from TKMaxx (an apparently reputable brand - Reusch). They are pretty huge but fine for working Campag brake/shifters and DT shifters plus GPS computer buttons. I reckon that ski gloves are designed for higher speeds and colder conditions than cyclists usually have to put up with and remaindered ones are much cheaper than last seasons cycle kit.

If things get properly cold, even these won't do and I'll be looking at active solutions. I think for heated gloves and insoles the important thing is for the digits to be heated. For feet you can get some rather nifty thermostatically controlled wireless insoles and I'd love to know if they are any good.
Faster than a tent.......

ddraver

Postby ddraver » Fri Dec 07, 2012 09:59 am

Yeah Reusch are a good brand - you got a steal there!

MTB shifters are much harder to work with thick gloves on...much less room!
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver
- Blog-http://davekio.wordpress.com/

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Fri Dec 07, 2012 14:48 pm

ddraver wrote:Yeah Reusch are a good brand - you got a steal there!

MTB shifters are much harder to work with thick gloves on...much less room!

If Orange provide me with my replacement frame next week, I'll soon find out! I think I managed though with my previous Ski gloves.
Faster than a tent.......

hainman

Postby hainman » Fri Dec 07, 2012 15:39 pm

Another suffer here and im wearing sugoi firewall gloves i picked up from TKmaxx for 20 quid very warm but not waterproof,and my feet even with normal socks and sealskinz get cold but the feet dont seem to do much so not getting worked hence i think thats why they get cold,to the point if i have to walk its painfull.
Someone said to me about spraying deepheat on my fingers and putting gloves on,just need to watch when i stop for a pee.....
Giant Reign 2
Crohnie

itguy2

Postby itguy2 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 18:48 pm

Alibran wrote:I've also read that it's very important to keep your neck warm because this affects the temperature of the blood in the area around the hypothalamus, which regulates body temperature. (ie if the blood around the hypothalamus is cooler than it should be, it will reduce blood flow to the extremities to maintain core temperature.)

This is VERY interesting. I did a brief experiment today when Xmas shopping in Leicester.

Ambient temp was about 5 to 6c, usually plenty cold enough for me to get numb hands and a very drippy nose (vasomotor rhinitis caused by raynaulds in the nose nerve ends!!).

Today I was wearing my usual heavy wool jumper (big open vee neck) and my wool winter jacket. Usually I would go out like this, wearing some average north face winter gloves and suffer. Today, ditched the gloves and went out with a standard scarf wrapped tightly round my neck and into my jacket.

Result, no onset of drippy nose or numb hands!!! I couldn't believe it.

Polar Buff now added to my Xmas list. No doubt I'll need to still wear merino base layers and decent gloves too, but this advice MAY be a turning point for me and my life for ever.
-----------------
Lapierre Zesty 514 &
Orange Crush 2010

zanush

Postby zanush » Sun Dec 09, 2012 01:51 am

I've decided to get a polar buff too as i don't usualy wear a scarf but wearing one the other day had an improvement. I just hope the adult size isn't too big and baggy as i've only got a peanut head lol
Boardman Fs Team
Felt F95

prawny

Postby prawny » Sun Dec 09, 2012 17:24 pm

Tk maxx are good for polar and non polar buffs, mainly Oxford branded got, a load a couple of years ago I think they were £8 for a 3 pack of normal ones and a polar one was a fiver.
Saracen Dirttrax Disc
Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015
Voodoo Bizango - 2014

Return to “MTB Buying Advice”