XML T6 light not working - anyone had these symptoms?

Sorting out your thrunge brackets, fettling your inter-rositers and even stuff about bike parts.
MajorMantra

XML T6 light not working - anyone had these symptoms?

Postby MajorMantra » Fri Dec 07, 2012 20:16 pm

On a road ride the other day my T6 light stopped shining brightly, producing just a tiny, tiny amount of light. I assumed the battery was the problem but it seems to be behaving normally. The light still cycles through its modes but the LED doesn't seem to be working properly.

Anyone had this? I'm a bit annoyed as this is the second time this light has failed. The first time a bad solder joint caused the coil thing inside to come adrift.

This time when I pulled it apart there was nothing obviously wrong, and since I've had it for well over a year there's not a lot I can do. Any thoughts?

It's one of these btw: Image

The Rookie

Re: XML T6 light not working - anyone had these symptoms?

Postby The Rookie » Fri Dec 07, 2012 20:44 pm

Try screwing the lens on and off, the sons did something similar and it mysteriously fixed it, problem never came back!

MajorMantra

Postby MajorMantra » Sat Dec 08, 2012 16:43 pm

I've fully disassembled the thing to no avail already I'm afraid. I seem to have very bad luck with lights...

styxd

Postby styxd » Sat Dec 08, 2012 20:44 pm

Buy cheap, buy twice n all that. I've got a spare light head you can have though. It cut out completely on a ride once, couldnt get the front off to get into it, but Im assuming it needs resoldering. If you can resolder it then it'll probably be fine I'd guess.

MajorMantra

Postby MajorMantra » Sun Dec 09, 2012 08:26 am

styxd wrote:Buy cheap, buy twice n all that. I've got a spare light head you can have though. It cut out completely on a ride once, couldnt get the front off to get into it, but Im assuming it needs resoldering. If you can resolder it then it'll probably be fine I'd guess.

PM'd you. :)

Ouija

Postby Ouija » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:31 am

Does it work without the reflector on?

MajorMantra

Postby MajorMantra » Sun Dec 09, 2012 16:14 pm

Nope.

RandG

Postby RandG » Mon Dec 10, 2012 00:36 am

Happened to mine recently, like last week. Friend sorted it. Told me it was the controller chip for the switch. New switch from Maplin, sorted, although just on/off now rather than a cycle of different beams, but good enough for me.

Ouija

Postby Ouija » Mon Dec 10, 2012 01:11 am

RandG wrote:Happened to mine recently, like last week. Friend sorted it. Told me it was the controller chip for the switch. New switch from Maplin, sorted, although just on/off now rather than a cycle of different beams, but good enough for me.

Happened to one of mine a few months ago. If the emitter still works if you connect a battery directly to the + and - contact points on the front of the you can bypass all the circuitry and wire a remote switch and power plug directly to the emitter. I used an old handlebar light switch from a set of Electron halogen lights. You don't get any modes, just on and off. But on the plus side, without the power management circuitry the light runs a bit brighter (the emitters max output and the protection circuit on the battery pack sets the upper amp draw limit).

Return to “MTB Workshop & Tech”