Linda McCartney team doping investigation

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
User avatar
FransJacques
Posts: 2104
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Linda McCartney team doping investigation

Postby FransJacques » Mon Dec 10, 2012 21:53 pm

Yates' past is catching up with him faster than Motoman delivering some vials of edgar.

But what's the gain here? McCarney's was a sheit team with sheit results, kinda like Lampre in 2012.

Nailing someone for what happened 11 years ago will not prove that Bradley is clean now, just because the UK anti-doping agency kicks ass.

We won't know for sure if Bradley doped or not for another 6-7-8 years. Going after LM will not prove that British cyclists today are lilly-white.

Give it up.
When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
---------------

Matt_as
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 19:57 pm

Re: Linda McCartney team doping investigation

Postby Matt_as » Mon Dec 10, 2012 22:13 pm

They got some pretty big names from 90's cycling so it is not really a surprise some other them were using drugs. It seems a bit pointless in a way because it is highly unlikely there was proper systematic doping like at Postal/Discovery bearing in mind they didn't have a massive budget but it comes of no surprises that some of the riders were using stuff. Also interesting that a couple of the riders became ill after the prologue and were unable to start the next stage.

User avatar
disgruntledgoat
Posts: 8756
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 14:56 pm
Contact:

Re: Linda McCartney team doping investigation

Postby disgruntledgoat » Tue Dec 11, 2012 09:32 am

FransJacques wrote:Yates' past is catching up with him faster than Motoman delivering some vials of edgar.

But what's the gain here? McCarney's was a sheit team with sheit results, kinda like Lampre in 2012.

Nailing someone for what happened 11 years ago will not prove that Bradley is clean now, just because the UK anti-doping agency kicks ass.

We won't know for sure if Bradley doped or not for another 6-7-8 years. Going after LM will not prove that British cyclists today are lilly-white.

Give it up.


Also he was on a team with a doping positive in 2007! Burn the witch! :roll:
"In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent

Trev The Rev
Posts: 1005
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 09:10 am

Re: Linda McCartney team doping investigation

Postby Trev The Rev » Wed Dec 12, 2012 09:21 am

As yet there is no evidence Brailsford, BC or Sky have ever done anything wrong. However there are people linked to them who have dodgy pasts. Brailsford was wrong to employ those who have left. His wool over eye pulling does not fool any but the most naive.

Hayles failing the 50% hematocrit rule some years ago defies belief. We are asked to accept it was a mistake, that British Cycling were not even checking hematocrit levels before major events, that the extra long taper and other factors caught Hayles out. I can not accept Brailford's team was not checking riders hematocrit levels and other blood levels on an extremely regular basis. One assumes they train and or sleep at altitude or simulated altitude - to allow a rider to fail a very simple 50% rule is highly incompetent, or a case of a 'marginal gain too far".

We are also asked to believe Wiggins did not do the required training in 2010 and got a rollicking from Brailsford. This is your GC contender paid a massive salary, and we are told not one of Brailsford's staff was able to spot that Wiggins was not training properly. Not one of Brailsfords staff could see anything wrong in all the power meter data or blood tests or any training sessions. This does not stand up.

Now we have several riders linked to Linda McCartney squad who may or may not have been using EPO. Some of these riders are still part of the BC / Sky set up, they need to be cleared or fired asap.

We must apply the same rules to UK riders as we do foreign riders

Richmond Racer
Posts: 8475
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 17:11 pm

Re: Linda McCartney team doping investigation

Postby Richmond Racer » Wed Dec 12, 2012 09:23 am

Trev The Rev wrote:As yet there is no evidence Brailsford, BC or Sky have ever done anything wrong. However there are people linked to them who have dodgy pasts. Brailsford was wrong to employ those who have left. His wool over eye pulling does not fool any but the most naive.

Hayles failing the 50% hematocrit rule some years ago defies belief. We are asked to accept it was a mistake, that British Cycling were not even checking hematocrit levels before major events, that the extra long taper and other factors caught Hayles out. I can not accept Brailford's team was not checking riders hematocrit levels and other blood levels on an extremely regular basis. One assumes they train and or sleep at altitude or simulated altitude - to allow a rider to fail a very simple 50% rule is highly incompetent, or a case of a 'marginal gain too far".

We are also asked to believe Wiggins did not do the required training in 2010 and got a rollicking from Brailsford. This is your GC contender paid a massive salary, and we are told not one of Brailsford's staff was able to spot that Wiggins was not training properly. Not one of Brailsfords staff could see anything wrong in all the power meter data or blood tests or any training sessions. This does not stand up.

Now we have several riders linked to Linda McCartney squad who may or may not have been using EPO. Some of these riders are still part of the BC / Sky set up, they need to be cleared or fired asap.

We must apply the same rules to UK riders as we do foreign riders



You tell 'em, Trev

User avatar
disgruntledgoat
Posts: 8756
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 14:56 pm
Contact:

Re: Linda McCartney team doping investigation

Postby disgruntledgoat » Wed Dec 12, 2012 09:40 am

Trev The Rev wrote:As yet there is no evidence Brailsford, BC or Sky have ever done anything wrong. However there are people linked to them who have dodgy pasts. Brailsford was wrong to employ those who have left. His wool over eye pulling does not fool any but the most naive.

Hayles failing the 50% hematocrit rule some years ago defies belief. We are asked to accept it was a mistake, that British Cycling were not even checking hematocrit levels before major events, that the extra long taper and other factors caught Hayles out. I can not accept Brailford's team was not checking riders hematocrit levels and other blood levels on an extremely regular basis. One assumes they train and or sleep at altitude or simulated altitude - to allow a rider to fail a very simple 50% rule is highly incompetent, or a case of a 'marginal gain too far".

We are also asked to believe Wiggins did not do the required training in 2010 and got a rollicking from Brailsford. This is your GC contender paid a massive salary, and we are told not one of Brailsford's staff was able to spot that Wiggins was not training properly. Not one of Brailsfords staff could see anything wrong in all the power meter data or blood tests or any training sessions. This does not stand up.

Now we have several riders linked to Linda McCartney squad who may or may not have been using EPO. Some of these riders are still part of the BC / Sky set up, they need to be cleared or fired asap.

We must apply the same rules to UK riders as we do foreign riders



Any evidence that "we" don't?
"In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent

User avatar
bompington
Posts: 4680
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 11:18 am

Re: Linda McCartney team doping investigation

Postby bompington » Wed Dec 12, 2012 09:41 am

Somehow it doesn't surprise me that Trev has moved on to this... I wondered how long it would take him to move from power meters to burn the witch :roll:

Trev The Rev
Posts: 1005
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 09:10 am

Re: Linda McCartney team doping investigation

Postby Trev The Rev » Wed Dec 12, 2012 09:57 am

bompington wrote:Somehow it doesn't surprise me that Trev has moved on to this... I wondered how long it would take him to move from power meters to burn the witch :roll:


So you believe Brailsford about Wiggins in 2010 and Hayles' hematocrit?

Richmond Racer
Posts: 8475
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 17:11 pm

Re: Linda McCartney team doping investigation

Postby Richmond Racer » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:08 am

Whats this about believing Brailsford? Its the same account from everyone including Sutton and Wiggins. Trev, did you see the condition of Wiggins in the 2010 Tour? For him, he was lardy and simply not fit enough in the mountains. It was Tim Kerrison who set the entire training programme from Oct 2010 onwards, using your hated power meters etc. Sky farked up properly with Wiggins in their first season, and he farked up properly for the team and for himself. If you could be bothered to read the accounts in either On tour or My Time, he gives his account of what happened. Doesnt mean to say that you have to believe it, but at least you'd have more input. Or is that too reasonable to expect?

Hayles' haemocrit was 50.03% if my memory's correct?

User avatar
BigMat
Posts: 4640
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 13:47 pm

Re: Linda McCartney team doping investigation

Postby BigMat » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:14 am

Trev The Rev wrote:
bompington wrote:Somehow it doesn't surprise me that Trev has moved on to this... I wondered how long it would take him to move from power meters to burn the witch :roll:


So you believe Brailsford about Wiggins in 2010 and Hayles' hematocrit?


Re Wiggins, its a more diplomatic line than "every other f***er was back on the sauce", which is how it looked to me. Plus hus race / training plan wasn't right - easy to see with benefit of hindsight.
Re Hayles, it doesn't look good. Benefit of the doubt and all that, but if he was Spanish or Kazakh I know what mg suspicions would be.

User avatar
disgruntledgoat
Posts: 8756
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 14:56 pm
Contact:

Re: Linda McCartney team doping investigation

Postby disgruntledgoat » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:20 am

I think I made my suspicions clear on Hayles at the time. However, my approach with riders of all nationalities is that if overwhelming evidence or failed test does not present itself, I'm not goign to convince myself they're dirty. There's no enjoyment in the sport for me then.

As for Wiggins, yes. I believe what was presented to me. As I have no reason not to. Remember he rode a pretty good Giro that year, in which he went full on for the first 2 weeks.
"In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent

Trev The Rev
Posts: 1005
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 09:10 am

Re: Linda McCartney team doping investigation

Postby Trev The Rev » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:35 am

Richmond Racer wrote:Whats this about believing Brailsford? Its the same account from everyone including Sutton and Wiggins. Trev, did you see the condition of Wiggins in the 2010 Tour? For him, he was lardy and simply not fit enough in the mountains. It was Tim Kerrison who set the entire training programme from Oct 2010 onwards, using your hated power meters etc. Sky farked up properly with Wiggins in their first season, and he farked up properly for the team and for himself. If you could be bothered to read the accounts in either On tour or My Time, he gives his account of what happened. Doesnt mean to say that you have to believe it, but at least you'd have more input. Or is that too reasonable to expect?

Hayles' haemocrit was 50.03% if my memory's correct?


Yes I did see the condition of Wiggins in the 2010 Tour and I emailed Brailsford about it. I do not hate power meters when they are working. I assume Wiggins was using a power meter in 2010 because his numbers were referred to and, if I recall correctly, Brailsford said Wiggins would have been right up there with the leaders if he had just 10% more power on the steeper climbs.

Hayles' hematocrit was only 'marginally over 50%' but Brailsford's team deal in marginal gains.
Last edited by Trev The Rev on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Rick Chasey
Lives Here
Posts: 28550
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 15:34 pm

Re: Linda McCartney team doping investigation

Postby Rick Chasey » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:36 am

inkyfingers wrote:
LeicesterLad wrote:
inkyfingers wrote:I wonder if they'll use the contaminated steak excuse?




I'm here all week.


:lol: A clever steak joke I can handle.


Lucky Rick's not about much these days!


All of you. Scum.

User avatar
Rick Chasey
Lives Here
Posts: 28550
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 15:34 pm

Re: Linda McCartney team doping investigation

Postby Rick Chasey » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:44 am

So a '90s cycling is being investigated for doping?



No. Way.

User avatar
ddraver
Posts: 17374
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2005 15:57 pm

Re: Linda McCartney team doping investigation

Postby ddraver » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:03 am

Trev The Rev wrote:Yes I did see the condition of Wiggins in the 2010 Tour and I emailed Brailsford about it


:lol: :lol: :lol: Hah Awesome!

Can imagine that meeting in Manchester, Guys we had this plan but Sh1t this bloke called Trev has just e-mailed, ok so we re some of the best minds in sports science and this bloke is utterly incapable of reading a scientific paper at all but hey, lets just do what he says shall we?

Christ you really are deluded arent you! Did you tell them to stop using clipless pedals too?
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver
- Blog-http://davekio.wordpress.com/

Trev The Rev
Posts: 1005
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 09:10 am

Re: Linda McCartney team doping investigation

Postby Trev The Rev » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:05 am

ddraver wrote:
Trev The Rev wrote:Yes I did see the condition of Wiggins in the 2010 Tour and I emailed Brailsford about it


:lol: :lol: :lol: Hah Awesome!

Can imagine that meeting in Manchester, Guys we had this plan but Sh1t this bloke called Trev has just e-mailed, ok so we re some of the best minds in sports science and this bloke is utterly incapable of reading a scientific paper at all but hey, lets just do what he says shall we?

Christ you really are deluded arent you! Did you tell them to stop using clipless pedals too?


He did reply, so one has to assume the questions I asked were worth answering.

User avatar
ddraver
Posts: 17374
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2005 15:57 pm

Re: Linda McCartney team doping investigation

Postby ddraver » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:06 am

Ohh Ohh tell us!
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver
- Blog-http://davekio.wordpress.com/

User avatar
disgruntledgoat
Posts: 8756
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 14:56 pm
Contact:

Re: Linda McCartney team doping investigation

Postby disgruntledgoat » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:08 am

ddraver wrote:Ohh Ohh tell us!


"You wanna get him on some drugs"
"In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent

Trev The Rev
Posts: 1005
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 09:10 am

Re: Linda McCartney team doping investigation

Postby Trev The Rev » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:13 am

ddraver wrote:Ohh Ohh tell us!


Hi Trevor,




Thanks for your email I will try and respond after the Tour as you can imagine I have my hands full right now.

Cheers Dave


Sent from my iPhone

On 22 Jul 2010, at 11:58,

Hi Trevor,


A few comments as promised below.


These are for your eyes only and please do not publish them - you asked me a question and I have answered them giving my personal opinion to you in the belief that they are not for public consumption - I hope you can respect this please.


Cheers
Dave


Dave Brailsford CBE
Performance Director
British Cycling

User avatar
RichN95
Posts: 15977
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 00:36 am

Re: Linda McCartney team doping investigation

Postby RichN95 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:15 am

Have you e-mailed anyone else Trev?

Maybe Chelsea to tell them Torres probably isn't worth £50m?
Or Steven Spielberg to tell him a fourth Indiana Jones film was a bad idea?
Perhaps you informed George Bush that the Iraq War wasn't going quite as well as planned?
Twitter: @RichN95


Return to “Pro Race”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: NorvernRob, Paulie Walnuts, r0bh, SpecialGuestStar, The_Boy and 8 guests