Shimano cassette with SRAM groupset?

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
Luv2ride

Shimano cassette with SRAM groupset?

Postby Luv2ride » Mon Dec 10, 2012 21:49 pm

I'm looking to use a spare rear wheel with a Shimano 105 10 sp cassette when on the turbo trainer. Bike has a SRAM Apex groupset.

Will it be necessary to tweak the barrel adjusters each time I swap the wheels? The turbo wheel cassette is a Shimano 12-25 and the road wheel a SRAM 11-28.

I have also noticed that dropping the rear wheel from the SRAM rear derailleur is more difficult that the previous 105 derailleur that was fitted. The wheel literally dropped out of the drop outs once the quick release was loosened, but needs a lot of coaxing with the Apex derailleur.

Is there a knack to dropping the rear wheel from a SRAM set up?

cheers
Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Tifosi CK7 - Pinnacle Arkose Singlespeed "monster cross" - Spesh Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...

sungod

Re: Shimano cassette with SRAM groupset?

Postby sungod » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:54 am

whether or not you would need to adjust the rd depends on several things, there can be slight variations

but if adjustment is required, it'll be consistent, so the first time just count how many clicks cw/ccw of the adjuster are needed, stick a note on the turbo, and it'll be easy to set/reset for turbo sessions
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Luv2ride

Re: Shimano cassette with SRAM groupset?

Postby Luv2ride » Tue Dec 11, 2012 19:15 pm

nice one. Thanks Sungod
Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Tifosi CK7 - Pinnacle Arkose Singlespeed "monster cross" - Spesh Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...

Return to “Workshop”