The official TrainerRoad thread

When drugs don't work: training and health tips!
NapoleonD

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby NapoleonD » Mon Dec 10, 2012 22:02 pm

4 weeks ago I'd've baulked at doing an hour and a half on the turbo but today I did Antelope (should have been Saturday, doing intermediate Base I). It actually felt comfortable! Challenging but comfortable.

NP was 209. Funny how when I was racing I'd do 2hrs with an NP of over 260!

http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/123433
Twitter - @NapD
Strava - Dense Voigt

dw300

Postby dw300 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 22:41 pm

I've barely been riding at all recently .. for-shame .. but I decided to see what the damage was to how much short term power I could put out (I new my long term power wouldn't be competitive).

So I got on and did my Record Breaker custom workout which I'd done about a month ago and managed to break 3 records before I had to get off and run to the bathroom, looking what could only be described as a whiter shade of pale.

http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/123450

Lack of base fitness very much affected my ability to do repeated short efforts .. need to pick a base plan and stick to it .. Im just not sure I can do the really long rides at the weekend on a trainer.
All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
Bike Radar Strava Club
The Northern Ireland Thread

NapoleonD

Postby NapoleonD » Mon Dec 10, 2012 22:50 pm

That looks solid!!
Twitter - @NapD
Strava - Dense Voigt

n1ckster

Postby n1ckster » Mon Dec 10, 2012 23:04 pm

I bought a turbo and signed up for TR at the weekend.

Tonight I started the Intermediate Base 1 plan with the 8 minute test, http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/123361

I thought it went well enough, however in hindsight, I think I could have gone a bit harder. Still, the hour flew by and it was actually very enjoyable.

I think I am going to enjoy this malarky.

Nick

NapoleonD

Postby NapoleonD » Mon Dec 10, 2012 23:26 pm

Looks like you went too easy on the first 8 min. Or, you went the same but as the turbo warmed up it looks like you went harder.

Just go with what it suggests as your FTP, your next couple of rides are consolidation/confirmation anyway.
Twitter - @NapD
Strava - Dense Voigt

JGSI

Postby JGSI » Tue Dec 11, 2012 07:39 am

NapoleonD wrote:4 weeks ago I'd've baulked at doing an hour and a half on the turbo but today I did Antelope (should have been Saturday, doing intermediate Base I). It actually felt comfortable! Challenging but comfortable.

Have you got the green light to come back racing next season?
You gotta get to use this sh1t , you know it makes sense... :wink:

n1ckster

Postby n1ckster » Tue Dec 11, 2012 09:42 am

NapoleonD wrote:Looks like you went too easy on the first 8 min. Or, you went the same but as the turbo warmed up it looks like you went harder.

Just go with what it suggests as your FTP, your next couple of rides are consolidation/confirmation anyway.

Definitely didn't go hard enough in the first 8; the second 8 was certainly closer to full effort. I was perhaps following the on screen prompts a little too literally and saving some perceived energy for the 2nd 8. I don't think I know what 100% effort for me actually feels like, so was/is difficult to guage.

I'm very much a novice to all this (structured) training, so will follow the plan with the suggested FTP figure as closely as possible and retest in a few weeks.

Nick

JGSI

Postby JGSI » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:26 pm

Anyone interested in a BikeRadar Winter Warmer ride..?
Pick a date and time to ride 'Disaster' for example as that's the longest at 4 hours 10... not a race :wink:
alternatives include Rockhouse or Cathedral....

NapoleonD

Postby NapoleonD » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:46 pm

JGSI wrote:
NapoleonD wrote:4 weeks ago I'd've baulked at doing an hour and a half on the turbo but today I did Antelope (should have been Saturday, doing intermediate Base I). It actually felt comfortable! Challenging but comfortable.

Have you got the green light to come back racing next season?
You gotta get to use this sh1t , you know it makes sense... :wink:

We'll see.....
Twitter - @NapD
Strava - Dense Voigt

Simmotino

Postby Simmotino » Tue Dec 11, 2012 14:10 pm

JGSI wrote:Anyone interested in a BikeRadar Winter Warmer ride..?
Pick a date and time to ride 'Disaster' for example as that's the longest at 4 hours 10... not a race :wink:

Sounds like fun, but I'm not sure my a**e would take it! :?

New saddle is in the offing but I'm under strict instructions from Santa's "helper" not to buy anything this side of the turkey dinner.

New Year maybe?

GiantMike

Postby GiantMike » Tue Dec 11, 2012 14:24 pm

Are you planning a cake stop?
my power improvement experiment blog

Rule number 100: It's your bike and your money and your time; do what you like with it and ignore other peoples' rules. Except this one.

Simmotino

Postby Simmotino » Tue Dec 11, 2012 14:33 pm

OK, just toddled off to have a look at Disaster.

:shock:

NapoleonD

Postby NapoleonD » Tue Dec 11, 2012 14:33 pm

GiantMike wrote:

If so, I could meet up for that but give the ride a miss.
Twitter - @NapD
Strava - Dense Voigt

ManxShred

Postby ManxShred » Tue Dec 11, 2012 14:53 pm

Well, another 2 weeks off the bike due to a cold, then flu, so that makes 7 weeks since the beginning of Sept off the bike.
Getting a bit frustrated now!! Need to get training.
Road - Volagi Liscio
MTB - Santa Cruz TallBoy

Simmotino

Postby Simmotino » Tue Dec 11, 2012 14:58 pm

ManxShred wrote:Well, another 2 weeks off the bike due to a cold, then flu, so that makes 7 weeks since the beginning of Sept off the bike.
Getting a bit frustrated now!! Need to get training.

MTFU :roll:

:lol:

JGSI

Postby JGSI » Tue Dec 11, 2012 18:20 pm

NapoleonD wrote:
GiantMike wrote:

If so, I could meet up for that but give the ride a miss.

Inbetween .. that horrible phrase 'twixmas' ?

Caller

Postby Caller » Tue Dec 11, 2012 18:57 pm

I got the turbo set up and had my first try with TR tonight.

I went for the 20 minute test which I quite enjoyed. Next up is going to be the Intermediate Base 1 plan and I'll see how I get on with it.

I was surprised how much I enjoyed using the turbo, I've never used one before but it wasn't as bad as I'd expected. One thing I need to sort before the next session on it is a new saddle for the bike, the one I'm using at the moment is bloody torture :lol:
Last edited by Caller on Mon Dec 24, 2012 21:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikey2341

Postby mikey2341 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:53 am

I'm getting quite into TR now, it makes the turbo much more enjoyable. Currently doing intermediate base 1. One thing I cant fathom though is how my "sweetspot" when training with power has a window of 32 watts (241-273), yet froma heart rate point of view, it is only 2 beats (145-146). Can anyone shed any light on this? Makes it difficult to hold such a tight heart rate when training on the road and not having access to a powermeter.

Cheers

JGSI

Postby JGSI » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:59 am

mikey2341 wrote:I'm getting quite into TR now, it makes the turbo much more enjoyable. Currently doing intermediate base 1. One thing I cant fathom though is how my "sweetspot" when training with power has a window of 32 watts (241-273), yet froma heart rate point of view, it is only 2 beats (145-146). Can anyone shed any light on this? Makes it difficult to hold such a tight heart rate when training on the road and not having access to a powermeter.

Cheers

I'd get used to ignoring HR as you ride and or train... leave it to mulling over afterwards the peculiarities of your response.
Work with 'feel' as best you can - admittedly, I can't get the hang of perceived exertion thats why power numbers are there and they are the only judges of what you can and cannot do.
RPE just ends up tending to overwork all the time - like me .. it's a dumbass way

Defintely forget about such narrow bandings with HR.. open them out to 10 - 15 beats if you really must use HR.

mikey2341

Postby mikey2341 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 15:33 pm

JGSI wrote:
mikey2341 wrote:I'm getting quite into TR now, it makes the turbo much more enjoyable. Currently doing intermediate base 1. One thing I cant fathom though is how my "sweetspot" when training with power has a window of 32 watts (241-273), yet froma heart rate point of view, it is only 2 beats (145-146). Can anyone shed any light on this? Makes it difficult to hold such a tight heart rate when training on the road and not having access to a powermeter.

Cheers

I'd get used to ignoring HR as you ride and or train... leave it to mulling over afterwards the peculiarities of your response.
Work with 'feel' as best you can - admittedly, I can't get the hang of perceived exertion thats why power numbers are there and they are the only judges of what you can and cannot do.
RPE just ends up tending to overwork all the time - like me .. it's a dumbass way

Defintely forget about such narrow bandings with HR.. open them out to 10 - 15 beats if you really must use HR.

I don't have a proper power meter (yet) so am using the virtual power on TR, whilst it works well for the turbo, I'm not sure how I can accurately replicate my efforts outside )although judging by todays weather, it may be a while before I get outside again!
I did this today http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/125078 and apart from a 30 second bit on the third interval where I was trying to get comfy on the saddle, i've stuck to the power suggestions quite quite well - yet my heart rate has risen by 17 beats from end of interval 1 to end of interval 3, I'm presuming this is just down to a lack of conditioning on my part? Has to be said that 3 x 20 mins all done in aero position is tough!

Return to “Training, Fitness and Health”