Turbo Training for Beginners - a NapD guide

New to Cycling? Want some advice? Start here...
wishitwasallflat

Re: Turbo Training for Beginners - a NapD guide

Postby wishitwasallflat » Thu Dec 06, 2012 23:34 pm

I just got angels recently (my first experience of sufferfest) and loved it so I got the hunted for a bit of variety but I don't think it's a patch on angels - anyone care to give a recommended list in order? Angels is top so what is 2nd 3rd etc ....

MarkP80

Postby MarkP80 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 00:26 am

wishitwasallflat wrote:I just got angels recently (my first experience of sufferfest) and loved it so I got the hunted for a bit of variety but I don't think it's a patch on angels - anyone care to give a recommended list in order? Angels is top so what is 2nd 3rd etc ....

I found it useful to look at the workout profiles in TrainerRoad that correspond to the videos. I like fairly structured interval workouts and you get that with Angels (although it's not as plain as that sounds!). Similarly I also like Fight Club for the same reason, good, hard intervals, so those two kind of fit in with the plan I've been following.
It depends what you want from them really, I think. Have a look at these, just to see the workout profiles -

Angels
http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/118573
Fight Club
http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/120332
Compare that to say The Hunted -
http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/workouts/3109

Cheers,
MarkP
Boardman Road Comp - OK, I went to Halfords
Tibia plateau fracture - the rehab continues!

wishitwasallflat

Postby wishitwasallflat » Fri Dec 07, 2012 20:20 pm

Thanks MarkP thats really helpful but I can click through this links and see the graphs for angels and fight club but not hunted.

ddraver

Postby ddraver » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:58 am

A very dark place is better than Angles IMO

If my heads in the right place, I think they re all equally good at making me cry though...
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver
- Blog-http://davekio.wordpress.com/

Caller

Postby Caller » Mon Dec 10, 2012 13:48 pm

I've tried my bike on the turbo for the first time but I'm having a bit of a problem with it.

When I'm out riding on the road, the gear shifting is fine, not perfect but fine. Once I put the bike on the turbo, the shifting is dire! Does anyone else find that using their bike on the turbo exacerbates any shifting issues?

wishitwasallflat

Postby wishitwasallflat » Mon Dec 10, 2012 14:29 pm

Caller wrote:I've tried my bike on the turbo for the first time but I'm having a bit of a problem with it.

When I'm out riding on the road, the gear shifting is fine, not perfect but fine. Once I put the bike on the turbo, the shifting is dire! Does anyone else find that using their bike on the turbo exacerbates any shifting issues?

My shifting on the road is great on the turbo rear is often clunky - I've always assumed this is cause on the turbo if you let up on cadence/force for the shift the wheel slows faster than on the road (that said I have cheap mag turbo so maybe with better ones it doesn't happen) and that makes the shift clunky. Don't shift front much/ever so not sure if that would work the same though.

There you go pretty shoot answer maybe but I'm bored - hope you will get better ones

ddraver

Postby ddraver » Tue Dec 11, 2012 14:26 pm

Mine too - but it's not helped by me usign a different wheel/cassette combo too
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver
- Blog-http://davekio.wordpress.com/

MickTup

Postby MickTup » Tue Dec 11, 2012 15:30 pm

Hi All,

Not knowing much about the concept and coming to the conversion late can you tell me? My trainer is in my garage, do you need to be connected to wifi for TrainrRoad to work? Sorry to all you technically minded out there but I can't seem to find the answer browsing through the info. I'm presuming not but how does it work regarding the monthly fee?

MickTup

Postby MickTup » Tue Dec 11, 2012 16:23 pm

Found it now No

ian_s

Postby ian_s » Tue Dec 11, 2012 16:32 pm

NapoleonD wrote:
Garryboy wrote:
ALIHISGREAT wrote:which sufferfest vids do you guys recommend?

I'm going to download one tonight and then torture myself tomorrow morning.. can't decide which though?

angels is a great one to start with

+1

+2

I've got Angels and the Hunted. In a way I find the Hunted harder, but Angels easier to destroy yourself on + I like the music.

I have tried Downward Spiral but not as keen on the very short intervals.

I would like to pick up another one. Any suggestions ?

NapoleonD

Postby NapoleonD » Tue Dec 11, 2012 17:31 pm

There is no try is a cracker.
Twitter - @NapD
Strava - Dense Voigt

djhermer

Postby djhermer » Tue Dec 11, 2012 19:22 pm

There is no try is my favourite for a lung busting, face screwing blast. I have just 10 mins ago finished Revolver for the first time.

Now that is something else. Like all things it's down to how hard you push. But if you work to the perceived effort of 10/10 for the intervals - ie balls out, there is no more in you - then you can't fail to feel physically sick and desperate after 15 of the buggers.

it's over quickly, but my word it hurts.

Return to “Road Beginners”