Carbon 456 owners pictures and spec

Want to show off your latest bit of Bling?
Or just want to show of the love of your Life ;)
paulneenan76
Posts: 738
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:46 am

Re: Carbon 456 owners pictures and spec

Postby paulneenan76 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 17:54 pm

Plyphon wrote:I am now the proud owner:

Image

£700 off of a fellow forum member. Very impressed with the build of the frame, and the overall bike is so light.

Condition much better than I anticipated - hard to explain but in the photos only what i can describe as "carbon flakes" (for lack of the proper word) under the lacquer bounce light all over the place and make it look scratched/scuffed - in reality its all good. (not sure if this is normal?)

Spec is as follows:

18" carbon 456 frame
Rockshox revelation RLT 140mm
Avid elixir R brakes
Front wheel: Mavic XM719 on hope pro 2s
Rear wheel: Mavic XC717 on hope pro 2s
Fire XC Pro's 2.1 all round.

XT triple crankset
XT front mech
SLX rear mech
SLX rear shifter
SRAM X9 front shifter
SRAM PG990 cassette (with aluminium red spider)
SRAM chain

eXotic carbon seatpost
eXotic 60mm stem and 700mm wide handlebars
Superstar lockon grips
Charge spoon saddle

Stoked :D


You've picked up a pretty top bargain there. Great spec, looks good, ready to ride - cant ask for more. And whilst you've just shelled out £700 before Christmas, I'm sure the sales over the festive period can tempt you in to putting your stamp on it for a few quid ;)

Is there much frame protection on it? What did you decide to do to protect the chainstay?

Paul
Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374

paulneenan76
Posts: 738
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:46 am

Re: Carbon 456 owners pictures and spec

Postby paulneenan76 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 18:44 pm

BlueAdvocate wrote:Ok so it's starting to look like a bike at last. Got the BB and cranks in; helitaped the down tube and cranks.
The seatpost a, stem and bars are just there to give me an idea (they are the old kit off my Trek).
Image
Once I decide on a bar/stem combo I can finish the thing.
Have all my other bits now like the rear mech now (bargain on CRC for the new shadow+) with some Saint pedals.


Wow it's really coming on (making me think that I need to get a move on as all my bits are under my bed :D). The colour is even better in the light of day.
Have you thought about cable routing/fully enclosed?
Are you going the inner tube route?

Also, it looks like you have some spacers stacked but the fork steerer is quite long - will you have to cut?

Looks great so far

Paul
Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374

Plyphon
Posts: 403
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 19:21 pm

Re: Carbon 456 owners pictures and spec

Postby Plyphon » Mon Dec 10, 2012 19:47 pm

paulneenan76 wrote:
You've picked up a pretty top bargain there. Great spec, looks good, ready to ride - cant ask for more. And whilst you've just shelled out £700 before Christmas, I'm sure the sales over the festive period can tempt you in to putting your stamp on it for a few quid ;)

Is there much frame protection on it? What did you decide to do to protect the chainstay?

Paul


Yes mate proper good deal.

"Technically" it only cost me £400 as I'm hoping to sell my previous bike to a friend... ;-)

It's came helitaped up in pretty much every place that could get scuffed which is handy - however I hate the sound of chainslap so got a extra large slap jacket thing on the way. was like 6 quid on CRC so thought why not.

I'd like to rebuild the front wheel with a black rim to match the back, but other than that honestly don't think I'll change much for a while. Maybe new brakes.


The yellow one above looks dope btw.

User avatar
BlueAdvocate
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 20:35 pm

Re: Carbon 456 owners pictures and spec

Postby BlueAdvocate » Mon Dec 10, 2012 20:01 pm

paulneenan76 wrote:
BlueAdvocate wrote:Ok so it's starting to look like a bike at last. Got the BB and cranks in; helitaped the down tube and cranks.
The seatpost a, stem and bars are just there to give me an idea (they are the old kit off my Trek).

Once I decide on a bar/stem combo I can finish the thing.
Have all my other bits now like the rear mech now (bargain on CRC for the new shadow+) with some Saint pedals.


Wow it's really coming on (making me think that I need to get a move on as all my bits are under my bed :D). The colour is even better in the light of day.
Have you thought about cable routing/fully enclosed?
Are you going the inner tube route?

Also, it looks like you have some spacers stacked but the fork steerer is quite long - will you have to cut?

Looks great so far

Paul


Cable routing - not decided yet what to do yet.
Chainstay protector - I have some neoprene to make a custom protector with.
Steerer - waiting on the stem before I cut, I will probably cut 5mm - 10mm longer than I think I need to try it out first; these 16" frames have short head tubes.

paulneenan76
Posts: 738
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:46 am

Re: Carbon 456 owners pictures and spec

Postby paulneenan76 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 20:19 pm

You'll need more than one chainstay protector if its the usual neoprene type job as the chain will tear it to shreds! The 456 does suffer from chainsuck, the carbon is heavily built around the bottom bracket but I would recommend using an old inner tube with tie clips under the protector. Or you could use frame wrap - good product from biketart.

Enjoy
Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374

Plyphon
Posts: 403
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 19:21 pm

Re: Carbon 456 owners pictures and spec

Postby Plyphon » Mon Dec 10, 2012 21:20 pm

paulneenan76 wrote:You'll need more than one chainstay protector if its the usual neoprene type job as the chain will tear it to shreds! The 456 does suffer from chainsuck, the carbon is heavily built around the bottom bracket but I would recommend using an old inner tube with tie clips under the protector. Or you could use frame wrap - good product from biketart.

Enjoy



Good tip. I will wrap some tube around that bit also.

User avatar
BlueAdvocate
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 20:35 pm

Re: Carbon 456 owners pictures and spec

Postby BlueAdvocate » Tue Dec 11, 2012 07:53 am

paulneenan76 wrote:You'll need more than one chainstay protector if its the usual neoprene type job as the chain will tear it to shreds! The 456 does suffer from chainsuck, the carbon is heavily built around the bottom bracket but I would recommend using an old inner tube with tie clips under the protector. Or you could use frame wrap - good product from biketart.

Enjoy


The chainstay protector is really for chain slap; I agree it won't too helpful if chain suck occurs.
As for frame wrap think I'll give that a miss; may be some inner tube as you say.
As for chainsuck, the C456 doesn't suffer from chainsuck anymore than any other frame its that the nature of the design means it that even when slight suck happens the impact is for more noticable i.e. it suffers from the effects more.
In other words what I'm saying is that you get away with it/don't even notice it on other frames.
I may stick a bolt through the stinger to help knock the chain off the ring; howvever there is very little space between the stinger and chainstay so I don't see how it will get jammed; there could be some dammage yes.
Good points though thanks.

User avatar
70\'sPenguin
Posts: 917
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 17:45 pm

Re: Carbon 456 owners pictures and spec

Postby 70\'sPenguin » Tue Dec 11, 2012 16:36 pm

BlueAdvocate wrote:Image



Now that looks right! Really nice!

paulneenan76
Posts: 738
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:46 am

Re: Carbon 456 owners pictures and spec

Postby paulneenan76 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 17:25 pm

As for chainsuck, the C456 doesn't suffer from chainsuck anymore than any other frame its that the nature of the design means it that even when slight suck happens the impact is for more noticable i.e. it suffers from the effects more.
In other words what I'm saying is that you get away with it/don't even notice it on other frames.
I may stick a bolt through the stinger to help knock the chain off the ring; howvever there is very little space between the stinger and chainstay so I don't see how it will get jammed; there could be some dammage yes.
Good points though thanks.[/quote]

You've explained it better than me in that sentence - it can suffer the effects of chainsuck where other frames have no or little effects from chainsuck :7)

With the stinger and a bolt-thru I guess it's about as much as you can do really. The colour of your C456 is getting cooler every time I look at it.

Time to hurry the hell up with my build now :D
Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374

Manny514
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 09:08 am

Re: Carbon 456 owners pictures and spec

Postby Manny514 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:06 pm

Re comments regarding chain suck and possible damage to the bottom bracket area. I have used a 3M product, a very thick black self amalgamating tape, as seen in an edition of MBR earlier this year in an article concerning quietening your transmission. This seems to do the trick I have used some on the chain stay area where chain suck damage could occur and also around the bottom bracket. This has prooved very successful with zero damage. I will try to find the exact name of the tape in question and post it on here later
456 Carbon
Ellsworth Ephiphany

User avatar
BlueAdvocate
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 20:35 pm

Re: Carbon 456 owners pictures and spec

Postby BlueAdvocate » Wed Dec 12, 2012 13:30 pm

Manny514 wrote:Re comments regarding chain suck and possible damage to the bottom bracket area. I have used a 3M product, a very thick black self amalgamating tape, as seen in an edition of MBR earlier this year in an article concerning quietening your transmission. This seems to do the trick I have used some on the chain stay area where chain suck damage could occur and also around the bottom bracket. This has prooved very successful with zero damage. I will try to find the exact name of the tape in question and post it on here later


either of these options?

http://solutions.3m.co.uk/wps/portal/3M/en_GB/ElectricalMkts/ElectricalSupplies/products/electrical-tapes/self-amalgamating-tape/scotch-23-linered-premium-rubber-epr/
http://solutions.3m.co.uk/wps/portal/3M/en_GB/ElectricalMkts/ElectricalSupplies/products/electrical-tapes/self-amalgamating-tape/scotch-130-c-non-linered-premium-rubber-epr/

you could use multiple layers, multiple pieces only overlapping on the rear so a clean finish in the front; as opposed to winding along the whole chainstay

paulneenan76
Posts: 738
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:46 am

Re: Carbon 456 owners pictures and spec

Postby paulneenan76 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 16:15 pm

BlueAdvocate wrote:
Manny514 wrote:Re comments regarding chain suck and possible damage to the bottom bracket area. I have used a 3M product, a very thick black self amalgamating tape, as seen in an edition of MBR earlier this year in an article concerning quietening your transmission. This seems to do the trick I have used some on the chain stay area where chain suck damage could occur and also around the bottom bracket. This has prooved very successful with zero damage. I will try to find the exact name of the tape in question and post it on here later


either of these options?

http://solutions.3m.co.uk/wps/portal/3M/en_GB/ElectricalMkts/ElectricalSupplies/products/electrical-tapes/self-amalgamating-tape/scotch-23-linered-premium-rubber-epr/
http://solutions.3m.co.uk/wps/portal/3M/en_GB/ElectricalMkts/ElectricalSupplies/products/electrical-tapes/self-amalgamating-tape/scotch-130-c-non-linered-premium-rubber-epr/

you could use multiple layers, multiple pieces only overlapping on the rear so a clean finish in the front; as opposed to winding along the whole chainstay


If its as thick and tough as a tube and its proven to protect the frame when your chain is wedged against it, then it's deffo worth consideration. And like a tube, you could still put a neoprene over the top for a better look - if you think the tube looks too industrial that is :D

Something like this and a chainguide/tensioner should mean youre very unlucky if you still suffer the effects of chainsuck.
Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374

paulneenan76
Posts: 738
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:46 am

Re: Carbon 456 owners pictures and spec

Postby paulneenan76 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 16:17 pm

[quote="Manny514"]Re comments regarding chain suck and possible damage to the bottom bracket area. I have used a 3M product"

Some pics of your solution/bike in general would be great, as would any other tips/hints you might have.

Paul
Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374

User avatar
BlueAdvocate
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 20:35 pm

Re: Carbon 456 owners pictures and spec

Postby BlueAdvocate » Fri Dec 14, 2012 15:06 pm

Ok so cable routing, for fully enclosed the choice seems to be:
- drill out current guides
- use stick on c-clips such as http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Jagwire-Alloy-Stick-on-Housing-Cable-Guide-4-pcs-/221148157424?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item337d7515f0
- use these to fit into current guides http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BBB-Hydroclamp-x2-Hydraulic-Brake-or-Gear-Hose-Cable-Guides-/330796478539?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item4d0501b04b

Given my other 2 bikes have exposed cables under the top tube and I rarely suffer from muck issues I'm not sure full outer is worth the hassle

paulneenan76
Posts: 738
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:46 am

Re: Carbon 456 owners pictures and spec

Postby paulneenan76 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 19:29 pm

BlueAdvocate wrote:Ok so cable routing, for fully enclosed the choice seems to be:
- drill out current guides
- use stick on c-clips such as http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Jagwire-Alloy-Stick-on-Housing-Cable-Guide-4-pcs-/221148157424?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item337d7515f0
- use these to fit into current guides http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BBB-Hydroclamp-x2-Hydraulic-Brake-or-Gear-Hose-Cable-Guides-/330796478539?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item4d0501b04b

Given my other 2 bikes have exposed cables under the top tube and I rarely suffer from muck issues I'm not sure full outer is worth the hassle


Funnily enough I was with my LbS today talking through my frame swap, and whilst they thought On One were strange not to consider routing for full outers, after considering the different alterations/ways of doing it, we decided not to bother :7). I have fully exposed cables on the bottle of my top tube and its not missed a beat - particularly this year with all the rain and mud!

27th December is new build day. I'm like a child who's getting 2 Christmases :D
Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374

Plyphon
Posts: 403
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 19:21 pm

Re: Carbon 456 owners pictures and spec

Postby Plyphon » Mon Dec 17, 2012 17:52 pm

Got out on my first ride on it this Saturday gone.


Man, fun bike.

paulneenan76
Posts: 738
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:46 am

Re: Carbon 456 owners pictures and spec

Postby paulneenan76 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 20:17 pm

Plyphon wrote:Got out on my first ride on it this Saturday gone.


Man, fun bike.


:) I'm jealous.
I rode t the FoD today and loved it (I always do there) and took in one of the easier DH tracks - would have been good 1st outing for the c456. Still, not long now.
Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374

Plyphon
Posts: 403
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 19:21 pm

Re: Carbon 456 owners pictures and spec

Postby Plyphon » Tue Dec 18, 2012 14:25 pm

Proof I took it outside:

Image

And the day after in the sunshine is some lovely clean carbon fibre

Image

paulneenan76
Posts: 738
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:46 am

Re: Carbon 456 owners pictures and spec

Postby paulneenan76 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 17:08 pm

Plyphon wrote:Proof I took it outside:

Image

And the day after in the sunshine is some lovely clean carbon fibre

Image


Ver very very nice. In some ways, they look better dirty ;)

How did you get on with it?

Paul
Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374

Plyphon
Posts: 403
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 19:21 pm

Re: Carbon 456 owners pictures and spec

Postby Plyphon » Tue Dec 18, 2012 17:28 pm

Yeah - very fun. Due to weather/ recent weather it was mainly an XC style pootle rather than faster trails...

Still good fun tho, hit a few descents that were mental fun and gave me the balls to go a bit faster/take lines I'd previously avoided etc. Very stable at speed and steering is very precise - something I didn't think I would notice but aye very direct steering.


Return to “Your Mountain Bikes”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests