Campag Centaur 2009 skeleton brakes the same as Athena?

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
CptKernow

Campag Centaur 2009 skeleton brakes the same as Athena?

Postby CptKernow » Thu Dec 13, 2012 16:04 pm

Question as in title. Seems like current Athena brakes are the same as old Centaur skeletons, except more expensive. Weight is the same too.
Unfortunately don't seem to be able to get the Centaurs any more...

Centaur
centaur-brakes.jpg

Athena
athena-brakes.jpg

Monty Dog

Re: Campag Centaur 2009 skeleton brakes the same as Athena?

Postby Monty Dog » Thu Dec 13, 2012 17:12 pm

Centaurs reverted back to non-skeleton to create a bit of product differentiation. They do look near identical which is quite common for Campagnolo over the years i.e. Record components down-graded to Chorus and so on as new features are added to the top-end
Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..

CptKernow

Postby CptKernow » Thu Dec 13, 2012 17:21 pm

Monty Dog wrote:Centaurs reverted back to non-skeleton to create a bit of product differentiation. They do look near identical which is quite common for Campagnolo over the years i.e. Record components down-graded to Chorus and so on as new features are added to the top-end

Seems like they downgraded the lower group this time?!
Suppose it fits in with moving lower groups to power torque and power shift.

Now I have to decide whether to buy a set of the Centaur brakes below at £60.
I kind of thought Centaur was more or less the same quality as Athena, just 10 speed so am wondering if these brakes would be same quality / materials as current Athena.

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Thu Dec 13, 2012 18:49 pm

CptKernow wrote:Question as in title. Seems like current Athena brakes are the same as old Centaur skeletons, except more expensive. Weight is the same too.
Unfortunately don't seem to be able to get the Centaurs any more...

I have a 2009 Campag catalogue. In the product description there is nothing to distinguish the two brake models aside from the lettering and the weight - 334 g for Centaur, 318 for Athena. Personally, I don't believe the weight difference for one minute! If you can save 18 g off the weight of a caliper, there'll be something that describes it in the product description!
Faster than a tent.......

CptKernow

Postby CptKernow » Fri Dec 14, 2012 09:15 am

Just bought the Centaur brakes to go with the Athena/Chorus groupset I'm putting together. Couldn't see any difference except for the price tag.
Can't bring myself to spend more on something that is designed to slow you down!

smidsy

Postby smidsy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 17:08 pm

CptKernow wrote:Can't bring myself to spend more on something that is designed to slow you down!

Strange how peoples perceptions differ - I would pay a premium for the things that are designed to stop me ending up in the side of a car or going through a hedge :lol:
Yellow is the new Black.

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Fri Dec 14, 2012 20:20 pm

smidsy wrote:
CptKernow wrote:Can't bring myself to spend more on something that is designed to slow you down!

Strange how peoples perceptions differ - I would pay a premium for the things that are designed to stop me ending up in the side of a car or going through a hedge :lol:

Yes, but the extra you are paying isn't really contributing to the slowing down! Quite the reverse infact as the 36 grams weight saving gained by spending extra on the Chorus brakes will certainly mean you are going noticeably faster when you need to avoid the side of that car! :lol:
Faster than a tent.......

smidsy

Postby smidsy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 20:31 pm

Rolf F wrote:
smidsy wrote:

Yes, but the extra you are paying isn't really contributing to the slowing down! Quite the reverse infact as the 36 grams weight saving gained by spending extra on the Chorus brakes will certainly mean you are going noticeably faster when you need to avoid the side of that car! :lol:

And we both know there are people on here who believe it 8)
Yellow is the new Black.

Return to “Road Buying Advice”