Silly commuting racing

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
The Fuggler

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby The Fuggler » Thu Dec 13, 2012 18:07 pm

rjsterry wrote:
The Fuggler wrote:
rjsterry wrote:Oh deary me. Something is up - not sure whether it's the cold, the poorly maintained bike, the chronic lack of sleep, but I just could not hold any decent speed this morning. Trailed a chap in jeans (over tights) on a blue Ribble wonter trainer, with one left hand pannier, all the way through Brixton to Southwark, and it was all I could do to keep him in sight. A pannier ffs :cry:

Guarantee it's the sleep. When Fugglets wake me up regularly in the night, my cycling goes to pot. Couple of decent nights and all is right again.

I'm sure it is. Trouble is finding that couple of nights. Currently running on about 5-6 hrs a night, and fending off yet another cold brought home by the little plague-bearers.

Good luck. We had three months where every night was broken. You don't expect it when they are coming up to 1 and have been going through the night for 6 months. It will come soon enough though.
FCN 3 / 4

Green Brompton

Postby Green Brompton » Thu Dec 13, 2012 18:59 pm

Evening CJ, I spent the whole ride home dragging a guy home, thought I must be in shape, then you come along and have to slow for me to try and catch your wheel - boo!

Anyway, saw a guy with a helmet cam, millions of lights, two horns etc etc - was he one of the guys on that shockumentary the other night?

Ps, my Brompton will be making a guest appearance tomorrow morning at around 7:30, I'm off to Wales for the W/E and I don't want to get the train in to work! Wonder if it will get down any of those trails over there?!
Why? Because I'm guaranteed a seat all the way in.

Brompton SL2
Ridley Icarus SLS

cjcp

Postby cjcp » Thu Dec 13, 2012 20:56 pm

Evening, GB. Sorry, I completely forgot you turn off there, so was thinking we'd have more time to chat.

Where are you going in Wales?
FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
"It stays down, Daddy."
"Exactly."

itboffin

Postby itboffin » Thu Dec 13, 2012 20:58 pm

Haven't ridden a bike for 3 days, there I said it
Rule #5 // Harden The fark Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Green Brompton

Postby Green Brompton » Thu Dec 13, 2012 21:38 pm

Just outside Betws-y-Coed, on outskirts of Snowdonia. Would like to do some trails but going with family, so don't think I'll get time! Will have to go back!

Brompton SL2
Ridley Icarus SLS

JZed

Postby JZed » Thu Dec 13, 2012 22:06 pm

Yep headwind - that makes me feel a little better.

itboffin wrote:Haven't ridden a bike for 3 days, there I said it

MTFU.

itboffin

Postby itboffin » Thu Dec 13, 2012 22:11 pm

Shouldn't you be out jogging or something old man after all you'll need to be fit for your marmotte over two days.

:twisted:
Rule #5 // Harden The fark Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

rjsterry

Postby rjsterry » Thu Dec 13, 2012 22:34 pm

The Fuggler wrote:Good luck. We had three months where every night was broken. You don't expect it when they are coming up to 1 and have been going through the night for 6 months. It will come soon enough though.

Thanks. I already have plenty of experience - eldest, now 3, didn't sleep through until 19 months, but is now pretty good. It's teething keeping the youngest up on a frequent basis.

Realised this evening that my rear brake had been rubbing, probably for the last 2 days, which probably didn't help :oops: :roll: Fixed it by the roadside, and then had a much easier run home than last night.
1997 Giant Peloton 7200 - FCN 4 (5 if it looks like rain)
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

"Be there, eat sausages, gain ultimate respect"

cjcp

Postby cjcp » Thu Dec 13, 2012 23:02 pm

Green Brompton wrote:Just outside Betws-y-Coed, on outskirts of Snowdonia. Would like to do some trails but going with family, so don't think I'll get time! Will have to go back!

Very nice.

(Even if it is home to the Gogs. :wink: )
FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
"It stays down, Daddy."
"Exactly."

Green Brompton

Postby Green Brompton » Fri Dec 14, 2012 09:05 am

That was hard work riding in this morning on the Brompton. Struggled! So much so, some very nice chap came and gave me a tug! I thanked him, he thought I was maintaining a decent speed, but I was struggling after not riding the Brompton for some time.

I have to say, I didn't miss riding it. I did miss my Ridley though... I've changed.

Brompton SL2
Ridley Icarus SLS

okgo

Postby okgo » Fri Dec 14, 2012 09:19 am

Saw TGOTB on NKR, but I think he was pootling, I didn't actually twig it was him till after.

Was a tailwind today wasn't it?
Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com

Kieran_Burns

Postby Kieran_Burns » Fri Dec 14, 2012 09:48 am

Green Brompton wrote:Just outside Betws-y-Coed, on outskirts of Snowdonia. Would like to do some trails but going with family, so don't think I'll get time! Will have to go back!

Stayed in Penmachno a couple of times - lovely part of the Country 'round there. Go cycle up the Llanberis Path, you know you want to :twisted: (note I said PATH, not PASS)
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Wrath Rob

Postby Wrath Rob » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:00 am

okgo wrote:Was a tailwind today wasn't it?

It was weird. Some parts there was a definite tail wind but once past Lotts Road there was a definite headwind on Embankment up to LBR. After P'Square it turned into a side wind. I don't think the after effects of the office X-Mas party helped my speed
FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.

rjsterry

Postby rjsterry » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:05 am

Wrath Rob wrote:
okgo wrote:Was a tailwind today wasn't it?

It was weird. Some parts there was a definite tail wind but once past Lotts Road there was a definite headwind on Embankment up to LBR. After P'Square it turned into a side wind. I don't think the after effects of the office X-Mas party helped my speed

Strange. XCweather says a solid SE'erly.
1997 Giant Peloton 7200 - FCN 4 (5 if it looks like rain)
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

"Be there, eat sausages, gain ultimate respect"

whitebait01

Postby whitebait01 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:47 am

Had the kind of tailwind that fools you into believing you've become some kind of mega-quad supercyclist this morning. First half anyway, second half was all blustery headwinds and terrifying sidewind gusts.

According to XCweather, it should be a lovely tailwind for the ride home. Got to do another 250 miles before the end of the year to hit 3500, might take the long route home tonight...
Ribble Audax - FCN 5
Dedacciai Pista - FCN 3

TGOTB

Postby TGOTB » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:30 am

okgo wrote:Saw TGOTB on NKR, but I think he was pootling, I didn't actually twig it was him till after.

Was a tailwind today wasn't it?

Definitely pootling; had a few leg-shredding sessions earlier in the week and racing on Sunday.

Side/head wind across the park I think, but NKR/embankment felt like tailwind territory; 18-20mph at about 150W and 120bpm :-)

Edit: Apologies to anyone who stopped behind me at any set of lights; I was trying to pull away from those at ~150W too :oops:
Pannier, 120rpm.

Pufftmw

Postby Pufftmw » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:27 pm

Nice ride in this morning, not as cold as previous days but head/side wind going over Tower Bridge made me slow right down. Too much traffic for segments though.

But then I forgot my glasses and had to go down to Lambeth to get them from g/f who brought them in. At that point it was raining hard plus cold blustery wind :( Not too bad on the way down but on the way back was horrible...

Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Postby Rick Chasey » Fri Dec 14, 2012 20:16 pm

Solid headwind on the way home, that's for sure.

Amazing how much faster I feel when I'm not wrapped up in full on winter kit.

iPete

Postby iPete » Fri Dec 14, 2012 20:19 pm

Think I passed Pangolin along New Kings Road, by the time I remembered your user name I didn't see you again. That's a very clean looking fixie you got.

anonymousblackfg

Postby anonymousblackfg » Mon Dec 17, 2012 09:30 am

Crikes, no one ride in today? Little sporting action out today appart from a courier up the Brompton Rd,

A big accident on the LRR, someone was saying it was a ped as I walked past they were on a stretcher with plenty of police and paramedics around them, the bonnet of a peugeot at the petrol station lights was caved in and a cyclist was sat with a blanket around him (probably from shock). it really irked me that some cyclists rode through the accident scene instead of taking 20 secs to walk past on the pavement.

Return to “Commuting Chat”