Bottom bracket bearing clunk clunk

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
boogi11

Bottom bracket bearing clunk clunk

Postby boogi11 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 13:20 pm

Hi all, I have a bianchi nerone 2012 running campag xenon group set, I have done about 3500 miles and all has been well. But today in a ride, a particularly muddy one, is started getting a strange noise from the bb, under load it felt lump and crunchy, like grit was in there, I have come home and cleaned and oiled everything, but having removed the chain the front crank spins freely enough but just does not sound normal......so do I change my Bottom bearing or do I leave it in and see how long it lasts in the crappy weather, and if it needs changing can somebody point me in the right direction. I do t want to buy crap but I do t want to go silly either. Are their many different sorts?

Cheers

ugo.santalucia

Re: Bottom bracket bearing clunk clunk

Postby ugo.santalucia » Sun Dec 16, 2012 13:41 pm

Problem is you have power torque, which is a rather bizarre chainset to remove... you need very specific tools, which only a Campagnolo dealing workshop will have. You can buy them ,but it won't be cheap... basically you need the Park Tool Ultra Torque bearing extractor, plus the plug for power torque, plus a wrench to remove the BB cups... all in all it's close to 100 pounds worth of tools.
If the chain set is solid, i.e. there is no lateral play when you pull the crank, then your bearings have some life left... if you have play, then you are pretty much screwed and need new bearings. To make things annoying, PT has one bearing on the BB cup and the other attached to the crack arm.
So my advice is to go back to the dealer if it is a decent shop, otherwise be very nice to some local member of the forum who has the tools and the knowledge...
BBs are a minefield, and Power Torque is the most annoying of all

boogi11

Postby boogi11 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 13:57 pm

Wtf is a power torque ?

boogi11

Postby boogi11 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 14:07 pm

Are you sure it's power torque, mine has internal grooves for a tool, nix external?

centimani

Postby centimani » Sun Dec 16, 2012 14:45 pm

Looking at specs, it seems yours may have FSA Vero chainset. Reading FSAs Vero docs, they mention external BBs and normal cartridge type. On the grounds yours has internal splines, it appears to be a cartridge type. Nothing to be done with them TBH, bin and replace?

3500 miles, that's not too bad, a lot more than I got off my FSA omega external BB.

Return to “Workshop”