Wheelset recommendations ~£500

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
bernithebiker

Re: Wheelset recommendations ~£500

Postby bernithebiker » Sun Dec 16, 2012 16:14 pm

Captainlip wrote:
dmclite-3.0 wrote:Have a look at fuerte bici, good carbon wheels built up by a small company in suffolk. I have a pair of all carbon clinchers 60mm and are very stiff and light, had them for 2 years and are brilliant. I am also round about the 80kg mark so no lightweight either. :wink:

Why on earth are you giving people such bad advice like that? Mavic is what you need dont listen to this turd.

WTF?!
http://www.cyclespeedtours.com

Bespoke and 5* cycle trips based in Palma, Mallorca.

thecycleclinic

Postby thecycleclinic » Sun Dec 16, 2012 16:44 pm

Sorry but the above statement is poor. Mavic is what you "need"! The OP needs a wheel that fits his needs a Mavic wheel may do that but so will many other inlcuding many handbuilt options. Also handbuilt wheels have the advantage of being cost effective to service rebuild in the event of crash. Many factory options from Shimano, Campagnolo/fulcrum and others can also fit the OP's needs.

How about some Dura ace hubs 24F/28R on H+ plu sons archetype rims with Sapim CX-rays ~1540g. Lighter hubs would drop the weight further. I am sure your local wheelbuilder that you trust can do these or something similar.

The velocity A23 is another rim option but the H+ sons archetypoe rim is a bit stiffer which helps if your are a powerful rider.

I would at your weight shy away from the lightweight rims like the Stans alpha 340. the newer Stan's 400 might be alright though but I have never tried it to know. Also the light weight offerings from DT Swiss like the RR415 especially on the rear would be to flexy and more importantly the rim would be operating at the limit of its design load so durtability would be an issue. I use a DT RR415 on my rear wheel but I weight 79kg and that I consider to be the practicle rider weight limit for this rim from a durability point of view.

The dura ace hub (7900 perhaps but 7800 hubs are still available in some drillings) have the advantage of wide flange spacings and a good drive side to centre spacing (~20mm) on the rear hubs. This lead to a stiffer wheel build and better tension balance. Other hub options from the like of DT Swiss like the 240 are excellent light weight hubs but flange spacings on the rear are a bit narrower resulting a less stiff wheel (laterally by a little bit) and poorer tension balance. Using a hub like the DT swiss 240 just means a stiffer rim needs to be used. Very good wheels can be built with them. There are of course light weight hub options that cost alot less from the like of Novatec. There A291 and F482 hubs are really very good and are less than 1/3 the price of DT 240 hubs and only 18g more. Bearings seems durable as well. Best of all worlds.

Lots of choice other than Mavic. So many options a serious discusion with a builder is needed.
http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.

colm_gti

Postby colm_gti » Sun Dec 16, 2012 18:13 pm

Thanks for all the input guys, has all been taken on board and I have been in contact with a local, highly regarded wheel builder about getting a set built up.

I'm going to go for 20h/24h h plus son archetypes built up on A291/F482 hubs with brass nipples, following a conversation with the above wheel builder.

Unfotunately, these have now been put off til early next year as I ended up splashing out on a new TT bike :shock:

EKIMIKE

Postby EKIMIKE » Sun Dec 16, 2012 18:20 pm

Mavic is fine until something needs replacing. Then Mavic are the last wheels you want in your hands. Although the same goes for 80% of factory built wheels, not just Mavic. Just so you know, i own a pair of Ksyrium Elite's so i'm not just a speculative doubter. I'd never buy them again. Not because they're poor wheels. Just painfully expensive (in all respects). Fine if you're loaded.

See what you can get handbuilt for the price of Mavic's. Like i said, they're awfully expensive nowadays. Plus they're not the most innovative things. It's essentially been the same design for 10+ years now just refined (true, if it's good why change it). However, you won't find a 23mm wide alu rim from Mavic or any other of the big factory names.

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Sun Dec 16, 2012 23:21 pm

EKIMIKE wrote:However, you won't find a 23mm wide alu rim from Mavic or any other of the big factory names.

Against my interest, but HED started the all thing... shame their rims cost like a second hand car

EKIMIKE

Postby EKIMIKE » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:42 am

True, but i was thinking more along the lines the wheels people normally buy: Mavic; Fulcrum; Campag; Shimano; Pro-Lite. The one's that don't cost as much as a second hand car! You won't find any 23mm wide rims there. I suppose it's only one factor though...

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Mon Dec 17, 2012 13:04 pm

EKIMIKE wrote:True, but i was thinking more along the lines the wheels people normally buy: Mavic; Fulcrum; Campag; Shimano; Pro-Lite. The one's that don't cost as much as a second hand car! You won't find any 23mm wide rims there. I suppose it's only one factor though...

I guess they're all waiting for their rim supplier in the far east to change the die at the end of the extruder for a wider one... :twisted:

thecycleclinic

Postby thecycleclinic » Mon Dec 17, 2012 22:46 pm

Enjoy yopur new wheels when you get them. Those archetypes look so nice.
http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.

Return to “Road Buying Advice”