SPOTY..........

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
TheStone

Re: SPOTY..........

Postby TheStone » Mon Dec 17, 2012 17:13 pm

Pross wrote:I don't know why people keep saying she was undeserving, she was a World and European champion that year and it was a poor year all around in most mainstream sports.

It was a poor year, but I suspect if daddy hadn't bought her the best horse she wouldn't have won and even then, if granny wasn't the queen, we would never have heard of her.

.... and don't get me started on dressage.

OCDuPalais

Postby OCDuPalais » Mon Dec 17, 2012 17:43 pm

Anyone got a link to the clip of Froome doing cover of Randy Crawford's 'One Day I'll fly Away' straight after Wiggo's set?

Not a dry eye in the house, apparently.

ddraver

Postby ddraver » Mon Dec 17, 2012 17:49 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver
- Blog-http://davekio.wordpress.com/

No tA Doctor

Postby No tA Doctor » Mon Dec 17, 2012 20:12 pm

OCDuPalais wrote:Anyone got a link to the clip of Froome doing cover of Randy Crawford's 'One Day I'll fly Away' straight after Wiggo's set?

Not a dry eye in the house, apparently.

:lol:

Chapeau.
“Road racing was over and the UCI had banned my riding positions on the track, so it was like ‘Jings, crivvens, help ma Boab, what do I do now? I know, I’ll go away and be depressed for 10 years’.”

@DrHeadgear

Steve Abraham's attempt at the year record

Pross

Postby Pross » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:49 am

TheStone wrote:
Pross wrote:I don't know why people keep saying she was undeserving, she was a World and European champion that year and it was a poor year all around in most mainstream sports.

It was a poor year, but I suspect if daddy hadn't bought her the best horse she wouldn't have won and even then, if granny wasn't the queen, we would never have heard of her.

.... and don't get me started on dressage.

See, that's what annoys me - the rider still has to control the 500kg horse over 3 very diverse disciplines. Was Toytown the best horse? If that was the case why didn't they win everything they entered? The worst thing I heard that year was someone making a very similar argument and when asked who he thought should have won his response was Jenson Button. Someone should tell Alanis Morissette that's proper irony! I agree to an extent of dressage though - it takes great skill but not the strength, courage and (some) fitness that riding over cross country and show jumping need in addition to the skill.

TheStone

Postby TheStone » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:17 am

Pross wrote:See, that's what annoys me - the rider still has to control the 500kg horse over 3 very diverse disciplines. Was Toytown the best horse? If that was the case why didn't they win everything they entered? The worst thing I heard that year was someone making a very similar argument and when asked who he thought should have won his response was Jenson Button. Someone should tell Alanis Morissette that's proper irony! I agree to an extent of dressage though - it takes great skill but not the strength, courage and (some) fitness that riding over cross country and show jumping need in addition to the skill.

I would put motor racing and equestrian in the same bracket. Skill undoubtedly required, but too few people ever get the chance to try and money goes a long, long way.

The dressage horses cost millions.

Pross

Postby Pross » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:27 am

There's definitely an element of truth in that but it shouldn't result in negative comments towards those who do try and who do make it. That said, the girl who won gold in the dressage this year made it on talent alone. Yes, she rides a ridiculously expensive horse but it's owned by others and it was her talent that got her the ride despite coming from a fairly normal background. My daughter does equestrian competition and to be honest the costs aren't as extravagant as people think - a decent entry level horse / pony that would allow you to compete at local events is probably very similar to the average club racing cyclists bike (my daughter's current horse was actually free). The main cost is in the upkeep if you don't have your own land together with insurance and farrier costs.

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:36 am

Pross wrote:There's definitely an element of truth in that but it shouldn't result in negative comments towards those who do try and who do make it. That said, the girl who won gold in the dressage this year made it on talent alone. Yes, she rides a ridiculously expensive horse but it's owned by others and it was her talent that got her the ride despite coming from a fairly normal background. My daughter does equestrian competition and to be honest the costs aren't as extravagant as people think - a decent entry level horse / pony that would allow you to compete at local events is probably very similar to the average club racing cyclists bike (my daughter's current horse was actually free). The main cost is in the upkeep if you don't have your own land together with insurance and farrier costs.

Ok. I brought Ms Phillips up because I thought the original discussion point was about personality in the SPOTY winners. I wasnt denigrating her talent which is undeniable.

Pross

Postby Pross » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:38 am

I'm with you on that, she comes across as a bit dim to be honest. They gave her the mic on Sunday when any of the other members of the eventing team would have been more eloquent. But who cares about that, I would and judging by her taste in men I've got a decent chance!

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:42 am

Pross wrote:I'm with you on that, she comes across as a bit dim to be honest. They gave her the mic on Sunday when any of the other members of the eventing team would have been more eloquent. But who cares about that, I would and judging by her taste in men I've got a decent chance!

Cauliflower ears and broken noses, Pross - like catnip, apparently

frenchfighter

Postby frenchfighter » Tue Dec 18, 2012 13:39 pm

Contador is the Greatest

frenchfighter

Postby frenchfighter » Tue Dec 18, 2012 13:41 pm

Shame they have that pregnant princess (small 'P') there.

I liked his blazer:
Contador is the Greatest

LangerDan

Postby LangerDan » Tue Dec 18, 2012 13:49 pm

His blazer made him look like the vice commodore of a small yacht club in the Fens.
'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'

ad_snow

Postby ad_snow » Tue Dec 18, 2012 13:51 pm

frenchfighter wrote:Shame they have that pregnant princess (small 'P') there.

I liked his blazer:

Shame he didn't sort out his pocket square..

Nick Fitt

Postby Nick Fitt » Wed Dec 19, 2012 09:29 am

ad_snow wrote:
frenchfighter wrote:Shame they have that pregnant princess (small 'P') there.

I liked his blazer:

Shame he didn't sort out his pocket square..

Here's hoping he is currently into a 5 hours ride over a moor somewhere and not doing a Rocky.

Return to “Pro Race”