Gym training

When drugs don't work: training and health tips!
Markwb79

Gym training

Postby Markwb79 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 09:02 am

Random question. I know there is loads of benefit about gym training.

I read a tweet by a pro yesterday (think it was Kittel) that they did a 5 hour ride, then spent some time in the gym.

What would they be doing in the gym after a 5 hour ride?!

Just stretching? Core work? I assume they cant be doing any weights or leg exercises?
Scott Addict 2011
Giant TCR 2012

Herbsman

Re: Gym training

Postby Herbsman » Tue Dec 18, 2012 09:07 am

Perving on the sexy ladies no doubt

edhornby

Postby edhornby » Tue Dec 18, 2012 09:36 am

depends on the intensity of the ride tho - 5hrs sounds like a long un for pro training so probably a conditioning ride, the gym session probably would be some upper body work and then a big massage and a lot of stretching as you say

and admiring the view of course!
"I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
--Jens Voight

poynedexter

Postby poynedexter » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:37 am

squats, leg press, extensions would be my guess :)

Tom Dean

Postby Tom Dean » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:55 pm

From Kittel's twitter:Image

ShockedSoShocked

Postby ShockedSoShocked » Tue Dec 18, 2012 16:25 pm

Ankles raised, tut tut Kittel.
"A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015

ut_och_cykla

Postby ut_och_cykla » Tue Dec 18, 2012 17:05 pm

ShockedSoShocked wrote:Ankles raised, tut tut Kittel.

Yeah - and his thighs aren't parallel with the floor either :roll:

Gabbo

Postby Gabbo » Fri Dec 21, 2012 20:03 pm

They would undoubtedly work on their core strength and proprioception as well as building the strength of their quadriceps. Look at their legs. Do you think you can have perfectly sculpted legs just from cycling? Do you think cyclists can generate the amount of power they do just from cycling? Of course not.

They'll do a number of different squats and also work on their calfs (gastroc). And yes, I could imagine they have massage frequently due to being in the saddle 5hrs a day.

Alex_Simmons/RST

Postby Alex_Simmons/RST » Fri Dec 21, 2012 22:50 pm

Gabbo wrote:Do you think you can have perfectly sculpted legs just from cycling?

Well if vanity is a consideration, then I suppose this matters.

Gabbo wrote:Do you think cyclists can generate the amount of power they do just from cycling?

Yes, I do in fact believe this.

twotyred

Postby twotyred » Fri Dec 21, 2012 23:17 pm

Do you think cyclists can generate the amount of power they do just from cycling?

Er yes- You've clearly never done high gear climbing repeats.

Herbsman

Postby Herbsman » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:44 am

Gabbo wrote:Do you think cyclists can generate the amount of power they do just from cycling? Of course not.

No, you're right. In fact, did you know strength athletes increase the maximum amount of weight they can lift by doing aerobic exercise such as cycling?

Also, boxers improve their punching power by swimming regularly.

a_n_t

Postby a_n_t » Sat Dec 22, 2012 13:29 pm

Gabbo wrote:Do you think cyclists can generate the amount of power they do just from cycling? Of course not.

:roll:
Manchester wheelers

PB's
10m 20:21 2014
25m 53:18 20:13
50m 1:57:12 2013
100m Yeah right.

Murr X

Postby Murr X » Sat Dec 22, 2012 22:10 pm

Gabbo wrote:Look at their legs. Do you think you can have perfectly sculpted legs just from cycling? Do you think cyclists can generate the amount of power they do just from cycling? Of course not.

Hi Gabbo,

I wouldn't say that professional road cyclists often have perfectly sculpted legs. Some are more muscular than others and some are slightly leaner than others, as athletes go they vary quite a bit.

Despite what many think they usually do not have a great deal of muscle mass in the legs and it is the combination of low body fat, often with small joints, light upper bodies and even suntanned skin that will give the impression of muscular legs. They rarely have strong legs either - which is not to say that they are not capable of producing a great deal of power aerobically, this is the "strength" of a road cyclist.

Gabbo wrote:They'll do a number of different squats and also work on their calfs (gastroc).

Gym work just does not transfer into gains for road cycling well at all for reasons explained in detail many times on this forum by myself and others. With appropriate use of a powermeter this can be clearly seen with time, although it will take some longer than others.

What matters in cycling is having the weight low and the power high. Because adding muscle from gym training will add to body weight and reduce aerobic power you can see this is exactly what you want to avoid.

Murr X

ben@31

Postby ben@31 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 21:14 pm

Murr X wrote:Gym work just does not transfer into gains for road cycling well at all for reasons explained in detail many times on this forum by myself and others.

Are you on about just weight training in a gym? As I can imagine a cyclist would get a lot of gains from cardio vascular training in a gym, such as a higher VO2 Max (physical fitness) and lactate threshold (exercise intensity).

amaferanga

Postby amaferanga » Mon Dec 24, 2012 21:29 pm

ben@31 wrote:
Murr X wrote:Gym work just does not transfer into gains for road cycling well at all for reasons explained in detail many times on this forum by myself and others.

Are you on about just weight training in a gym? As I can imagine a cyclist would get a lot of gains from cardio vascular training in a gym, such as a higher VO2 Max (physical fitness) and lactate threshold (exercise intensity).

Why would you use daft equipment in a gym to improve your fitness and not ride a bike instead? You could be great on the rowing machines (or whatever) but still be a sh!t cyclist.
More problems but still living....

Mettan

Postby Mettan » Mon Dec 24, 2012 22:16 pm

If you're planning on riding for longer than a minute (at race speeds) you'd be better concentrating on improving your 'aerobic metabolism' - having 'strong' legs above all else, won't help you do a sub-1 hour 25 or sub-2 hour 50 - spending years improving/fine-tuning your metabolism (on the Road/turbo) is a much better use of time.

saprkzz

Postby saprkzz » Fri Dec 28, 2012 08:59 am

amaferanga wrote:
ben@31 wrote:

Why would you use daft equipment in a gym to improve your fitness and not ride a bike instead? You could be great on the rowing machines (or whatever) but still be a sh!t cyclist.

I have been combining it with riding recently since the dark cold nights have roled in. If you keep the winter training going and then combine it with cv and core work in the gym I reckon it will make a difference.
Last year I did nothing if the weather was bad, as I didn't have a turbo and would end up only riding once or twice a week, but this year am managing 6 days a week training for 12 or 14 hrs. It feels like its helping.

ben@31

Postby ben@31 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 13:39 pm

amaferanga wrote:

You've already answered your own question... Using the gym to improve your fitness. If done properly, a solid interval training session on an inclined treadmill is better than sat at home. On some days, going out on the bike isn't a realistic option.

Herbsman

Postby Herbsman » Sat Dec 29, 2012 14:14 pm

ben@31 wrote:
amaferanga wrote:

You've already answered your own question... Using the gym to improve your fitness. If done properly, a solid interval training session on an inclined treadmill is better than sat at home. On some days, going out on the bike isn't a realistic option.

I think you have missed the point slightly...

Going to the gym may be a better option than being sat at home (in fact most things are better than being sat down anywhere) - I don't think anyone's disputing that. It's all well and good improving your fitness just for the sake of it, but the point is that doing exercises that aren't bike riding will probably not improve your bike riding fitness.

Markwb79

Postby Markwb79 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 14:45 pm

Herbsman wrote:
ben@31 wrote:
amaferanga wrote:

I think you have missed the point slightly...

Going to the gym may be a better option than being sat at home (in fact most things are better than being sat down anywhere) - I don't think anyone's disputing that. It's all well and good improving your fitness just for the sake of it, but the point is that doing exercises that aren't bike riding will probably not improve your bike riding fitness.

Its better than being stood somewhere though.
Scott Addict 2011
Giant TCR 2012

Return to “Training, Fitness and Health”