Wheels for a fuji classic 12

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
jian2lu

Wheels for a fuji classic 12

Postby jian2lu » Tue Dec 18, 2012 18:17 pm

Hi all,

I have recently returned to cycling as a form of transport, I bought a cheap and cheerful road bike, the Fuji Classic 12, as it was on sale at Evans Cycles. I have been riding around on it for a few months, and I'm sure the front wheel has buckled slightly (they don't feel solid at all). I was thinking of replacing both front and rear and getting some decent road tyres too as I do like the frame. Thing is, I have no clue where to start, what to look for etc. Can anyone on here offer any advice on the better brands, materials and what I'll need to budget for a decent set? I'm not a super serious cyclist (yet!) so don't wan't to spend too much. The wheels are 622 x 14c (700c) with 700 x 250 tyres.

Thanks

Alex

thecycleclinic

Re: Wheels for a fuji classic 12

Postby thecycleclinic » Tue Dec 18, 2012 19:00 pm

I assume you mean 700x25 tyres!

I would for commuting avoid low spoke wheels from the likes of fulcrum, mavic e.t.c as they are very expensive to service and spares availability a few years down the road will be limited.

There are a number of pre built higher spoke count wheels out there and the brand is not that imporatant as they are mostly built with cheaper rims like Alex or Rigida, formula hubs and plain gauge spokes. These wheels will be O.K. Avoid the cheap wheels from the likes of wilkinson e.t.c as they are no better than what you have.

The best alternative if you £150 in your pocket or a more is to talk to a wheel builder and get a pair of wheel built up with something like a Rigida Chrina and Shimano LX hubs using double butted spokes like Sapim Race or ACI's efforts.
This will ost you around £150 in most places. This will last you well if they are built properly.
http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.

jian2lu

Postby jian2lu » Tue Dec 18, 2012 19:20 pm

I probably do mean 700x25! My head is spinning from all the different measurements etc. I used to commute on a motorbike... That was far simpler.

Thanks for the advice. Are there any wheel builders you particularly recommend? I'm in London (West).

Also, I was told in the shop when I first purchased the bike to run about on the tyres a bit and then replace them with puncture resistant (or something along those lines) tyres once I got my first puncture. This has happened already. Do tyres and wheels need to be matched, or is there a particular type of tyre that would suit my bike best? I'll be riding mainly on tarmac. Again, not looking to spend my life savings.

Cheers

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Tue Dec 18, 2012 19:46 pm

jian2lu wrote:I probably do mean 700x25! My head is spinning from all the different measurements etc. I used to commute on a motorbike... That was far simpler.

Thanks for the advice. Are there any wheel builders you particularly recommend? I'm in London (West).

Also, I was told in the shop when I first purchased the bike to run about on the tyres a bit and then replace them with puncture resistant (or something along those lines) tyres once I got my first puncture. This has happened already. Do tyres and wheels need to be matched, or is there a particular type of tyre that would suit my bike best? I'll be riding mainly on tarmac. Again, not looking to spend my life savings.

Cheers

There is probably nothing major with your wheels, maybe they just need to be retensioned and trued. Drop me a PM if you can drag yourself to Richmond and I will have a look at them.
As a guideline, if you have 32 or 36 spokes, I am sure they can be fixed for a bag of nuts, if you have 24 or less they are probably factory made wheels and I doubt I can help

Return to “Road Buying Advice”