Can anyone recommend a good jacket for cycling?

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
essjaydee

Re: Can anyone recommend a good jacket for cycling?

Postby essjaydee » Wed Dec 19, 2012 15:31 pm

As others have said, depends what you want it for.

I have 3 jackets now;
1) Altura Night Vision - Commuting in really cold/wet weather temp's below 5 degrees C. Big and flappy jacket, that I wouldn't use for longer rides as it's just not practicable for this. Used throughout last winter and still going strong.
2) Altura pocket rocket - lightweight showerproof jacket. Bit flappy but ok as a a milder weather additional layer, or for summer showers. Packs down to tennis ball size.
3) DHB Minima - Not long had this, but a closer fit than the Night Vision, and good for colder conditions below 10 degrees. Packs down to about 2 tennis ball sizes, but will fit in a jersey pocket. I bought this as I wanted something that sits between the Night Vision and Pocket Rocket, and it does. In fact, I like it so much that I haven't used the night vision this winter, so far!

andyoh

Postby andyoh » Wed Dec 19, 2012 21:12 pm

There is only one jacket: Gore Oxygen Goretex Active Shell Jacket. This jacket is not cheap, however, it's the best money I have spent on cycling clothing in a long time. As it is Goretex, it is wind proof, water proof and breathable. Believe me I've worn it in -6C with just a long sleeve Icereaker 200 merino wool base layer and it keeps you warm and in the pouring rain tonight from the City of London to home it kept me bone dry. I was sceptical about spending so much on a jacket that is paper thin, but it genuinely is a brilliant bit of kit.

roadtraveller

Postby roadtraveller » Thu Dec 20, 2012 17:47 pm

Yeah that one looks good angyoh looks like you need Gortex if you want total waterproof whilst having breathability i like the way it has a tail at the back to fend off spray. The only think i think this jacket is missing is reflectivity bits, whereas the gore jacket i linked was hi vis.

keef66

Postby keef66 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 09:57 am

Don't confuse hi-viz with reflective. The luminous yellow Phantom you linked to would still be invisible at night were it not for the reflectve details.

Doubt there's much difference between the Phantom and the Oxygen in terms of reflective bits. The Oxygen is a more extreme race cut, so will suit if you do a lot of riding in an aero tuck.

I'm more of a leisurely cyclist, so the Phantom is long enough at the back for me. Plus I have full mudguards for most of the year

p1tse

Postby p1tse » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:04 am

How about the gore contest

Return to “Road Buying Advice”