Pillock!............

The place for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
halfmanhalfsnookermachine

Pillock!............

Postby halfmanhalfsnookermachine » Thu Dec 20, 2012 22:30 pm

Driving home, 25 mph downhill (30 limit)because of the Thames Valley mobile speed camera van thats always there, overtaken by cyclist on a Cervelo, having sat on my bumper being impatient. Got to the bottom of the hill with a 90 degree right hand bend, it was wet, greasy and he was riding like an idiot and nearly came off, causing me to hit the brakes. Whoever you are with your yellow Beeline Bicycles (Oxford LBS) top, stop riding like a pillock and give me some room. You give us all a bad name, its bad enough with the BBC showing provocative documentaries, dont make it worse - oh and by the way, get some mudguards: pillock!

Gozzy

Re: Pillock!............

Postby Gozzy » Thu Dec 20, 2012 23:13 pm

Shouldn't you have been preparing to slow considerably yourself, prior to a known bad bend in poor conditions, even more so having just been overtaken by a bike.

Also, mudguards are surely personal choice when riding solo.

AndyOgy

Postby AndyOgy » Thu Dec 20, 2012 23:48 pm

Gozzy wrote:Shouldn't you have been preparing to slow considerably yourself, prior to a known bad bend in poor conditions, even more so having just been overtaken by a bike.

Also, mudguards are surely personal choice when riding solo.

Yeah, I've never really understood mudguards. Can anybody explain them to me?

Gozzy

Postby Gozzy » Fri Dec 21, 2012 00:20 am

They stop you getting a wet ars*. They're very good.

daviesee

Postby daviesee » Fri Dec 21, 2012 00:53 am

halfmanhalfsnookermachine wrote:Driving home, 25 mph downhill (30 limit)because of the Thames Valley mobile speed camera van thats always there,......!

I put it to you you that you are playing it way too safe regarding the camera. You have an extra 5 mph to play with. And the fact that most car speedos err on the safe side, probably more than that.
Which is why a cyclist overtook you.
But I wasn't there, so maybe not......
None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.

upperoilcan

Postby upperoilcan » Fri Dec 21, 2012 08:00 am

Rather than spouting off on the Tinternet,

Why didnt you have a word with him when the incident occured if it bothered you that much ????????
Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.

CiB

Postby CiB » Fri Dec 21, 2012 08:15 am

daviesee wrote:
halfmanhalfsnookermachine wrote:Driving home, 25 mph downhill (30 limit)because of the Thames Valley mobile speed camera van thats always there,......!

I put it to you you that you are playing it way too safe regarding the camera. You have an extra 5 mph to play with. And the fact that most car speedos err on the safe side, probably more than that.
Which is why a cyclist overtook you.
But I wasn't there, so maybe not......

This is the correct answer. Pootling along at < 25 on a downhill? And you wonder why a cyclist is all over your boot at that speed? More likely is that he got frustrated, misjudged it and passed you anyway. Speed limits aren't a target but doing way less just because there's a nasty policeman waiting to nick you is a bit soppy tbh.

And you're in a car. What does it matter to you if he has mudgaurds or not?

halfmanhalfsnookermachine

Postby halfmanhalfsnookermachine » Fri Dec 21, 2012 09:48 am

Some great bites, i'm going to need a bigger boat.........however:
1. Speed: 25 mph in a 30 is sensible not 'pootling' and i dont want a £90 speed awareness course which requires half a day off work and a 40 mile drive to the place where they run it.
2. I couldnt have a word with him as he went down a side road when i was turning into my road where i live, plus I am not going to chase someone to confront them, it wont achieve anything apart from antagonising someone.
3. I dont think riding in my blind spot a few yards behind me is sensible, I was slowing down to take the bend, he ended up taking it in the middle of the road then spotted an oncoming car, had to swerve left and nearly came off - poor riding.
4. mudguards - no effect on me at all, just a shame he was covered in mud and spray all over his very expensive Assos tights.
5. By the way, I ride that hill most days and you can easily hit 40 mph without trying, doesnt mean its a good idea when the cars are generally doing less than 30; why , because like it or not, the speed camera van is there most days, 3 times this week so far.

CiB

Postby CiB » Fri Dec 21, 2012 09:57 am

You missed the core point, that you doing < 25 to avoid being nicked in a 30 is dawdling. The speed awareness course is triggered by speeding convictions between 33 & 37. You know as well as any (you post on here ergo you're a cyclist) that one of the joys of cycling is not being held up by traffic, yet that's precisely what you were doing in your eagerness not to be nicked.

Well done on identifying that he was was wearing Assos though, and for being so concerned about his laundry requirements.

Gazzaputt

Postby Gazzaputt » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:26 am

There antagonistic pillocks that post here and it isn't the OP.

Phil Fouracre

Postby Phil Fouracre » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:33 am

Oooooooo! I do like a pointless argument!

Cornerblock

Postby Cornerblock » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:35 am

No you don't.

ChrisAOnABike

Postby ChrisAOnABike » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:39 am

The notion of a bike tailgating a car, getting all impatient and then overtaking unsafely, is just delicious irony.
Is the gorilla tired yet?

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Fri Dec 21, 2012 14:38 pm

Gozzy wrote:They stop you getting a wet ars*. They're very good.

And they keep the crap off your drivetrain saving you cleaning it so often and increasing its lifespan.

And yes, 25 in a 30 zone is dawdling. The limit is 30 - drive at 30. It isn't difficult. If the police wanted you to drive at 25, there'd be a 25mph limit.
Faster than a tent.......

BuckMulligan

Postby BuckMulligan » Fri Dec 21, 2012 14:52 pm

CiB wrote:You missed the core point, that you doing < 25 to avoid being nicked in a 30 is dawdling. The speed awareness course is triggered by speeding convictions between 33 & 37. You know as well as any (you post on here ergo you're a cyclist) that one of the joys of cycling is not being held up by traffic, yet that's precisely what you were doing in your eagerness not to be nicked.

Well done on identifying that he was was wearing Assos though, and for being so concerned about his laundry requirements.

I completely disagree. Cyclists are the first to use the 'i'm-a-road-user-too' defence and rightly so, but in this case, the OP is a road user too, who's perfectly entitled to go along at 25 mph if he feels it's appropriate. Having a cyclist overtaking and riding in a dangerous manner that nearly causes an accident, just because he's bored of being held up by traffic is unacceptable behaviour.

mamba80

Postby mamba80 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 14:58 pm

Rolf F wrote:And yes, 25 in a 30 zone is dawdling. The limit is 30 - drive at 30. It isn't difficult. If the police wanted you to drive at 25, there'd be a 25mph limit.

imm and there me thinking "drive to the conditions" and limit meant "up to"

urban road, 25 in a 30 limit, wet roads, sounds about right or maybe your one of these fools who drive at the limit in driving rain rush hour on a motorway? 'cause 70 is the limit guv :(

Pinno

Postby Pinno » Fri Dec 21, 2012 15:04 pm

He didn't come off. He didn't cause an accident. The sh*t off his back wheel was probably washed off with your windscreen washers (cars do have them). What is the problem exactly - nice Cervelo was it?

Couldn't find anything imaginative or funny to post on BR ? I get moments like that (like this one) - I find that if you call somebody a tw4t, you're almost certain to get a response. You are a tw4t. There, thats it. Watch this space.
"It's really tough to make a living, but a man's just gotta try" Disgruntledgoat - who owe's me 10 Goat Bucks

S - The womens Brazilian beach volleyball team
W - Wiggle Honda

Seantheconn: más afeminado que un jamboree de Guías Internacional

amaferanga

Postby amaferanga » Fri Dec 21, 2012 15:15 pm

Rolf F wrote:

And they keep the crap off your drivetrain saving you cleaning it so often and increasing its lifespan.

And yes, 25 in a 30 zone is dawdling. The limit is 30 - drive at 30. It isn't difficult. If the police wanted you to drive at 25, there'd be a 25mph limit.

Oh dear. That's the mindset of the irate motorist who gets annoyed by cyclists because they stop him from driving at the limit....
More problems but still living....

BobScarle

Postby BobScarle » Fri Dec 21, 2012 15:18 pm

Riding home the other day, about 25 mph downhill in the wet. Car right up behind me, on my back wheel. Shoots past just before a bend. Almost fails to make the turn, nearly causing an accident. Turned off down a side road. Pillock.....

There, that's better!

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Fri Dec 21, 2012 15:32 pm

amaferanga wrote:
Rolf F wrote:

Oh dear. That's the mindset of the irate motorist who gets annoyed by cyclists because they stop him from driving at the limit....

Well, we only have the OPs view of events in terms of what is dangerous or not but I do find it tedious when driving along a road, everyone driving at the legal limit and then as soon as they see a camera sign, they drop 5mph. It indicates a degree of poor competence/lack of confidence as a driver. I do prefer to get past such people as they tend to be less than predictable.

mamba80 wrote:urban road, 25 in a 30 limit, wet roads, sounds about right or maybe your one of these fools who drive at the limit in driving rain rush hour on a motorway? 'cause 70 is the limit guv :(

And maybe you are one of these fools who doesn't read threads properly :wink: . The OP specifically stated that he was driving at 25mph because he was scared of being caught by a speed camera. Had he said that he was driving at 25mph because the conditions meant that that was as fast as it was safe to do so, then it would have been different. But he was driving at significantly less than the limit and got annoyed because he got overtaken doing so. And is the road urban? Not sure that was mentioned - just the 30mph limit.

Of course, it doesn't help that the OP subtly changed the story in his second post........
Faster than a tent.......

Return to “The Cake Stop”