Which Di2 bike for 2- 3k?

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
Molo

Which Di2 bike for 2- 3k?

Postby Molo » Fri Dec 21, 2012 00:01 am

Looking for an upgrade to my existing basic road bike - cinelli little wing - women specific. I want a compact, DI2 Ultegra. It is a treat after 18 months of injury so need something nice to encourage me :D

From speaking to lots of other women I don't think I necessarily need a wsd and I don't want anything pink. Any of the wsd are more expensive and less well equipped from what I can gather to their male counterparts and are invariably pink! I am 5'4" so that might limit the choices.

I do sportives, and currently riding about 50 miles twice a week and do about 150 -200 per week in summer roads of variable quality and plenty of hills.

I have seen a Ridley Excalibur in lotto colours that leaves me change for a new handlebars, saddle etc to make it a bit more girly fitting. However not sure about the look.

Or a pinarello rokh but that leaves me with no change for making it girly, unless I can cut a deal with the bike shop (and get an extra 200 from the ministry of "can you not get one from Halfords?' ). However, I do really like the black on black colour scheme and it looks lovely... But not sure I can justify an extra grand over the Ridley for it!!

Anyone have any experience with either?

Bike shop did suggest that they could also build me a bike but I wouldn't have a clue where to even start trying to choose components.

Have a test ride for both the above next week but any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

duckson

Re: Which Di2 bike for 2- 3k?

Postby duckson » Fri Dec 21, 2012 00:44 am

Might struggle to get a test ride but http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3090
Cheers, Stu

mallorcajeff

Postby mallorcajeff » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:08 am

seconded canyon

Molo

Postby Molo » Fri Dec 21, 2012 18:34 pm

Thanks - nice looking bike. Anyone know what their after sales or advice is like - will need some pointers re sizing? Also what about returns if it isn't right? Anyone any experience?

chigman

Postby chigman » Fri Dec 21, 2012 20:20 pm

It's all on their website if you care to look. :wink:

Steve
Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 7.0
Cube Crossteam Hybrid

Molo

Postby Molo » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:31 am

Thanks Steve read what they say but has anyone actually returned a bike to them? Does the reality match up to the words?

M

mjbennett

Postby mjbennett » Sat Dec 22, 2012 15:47 pm

May i ask why you are set on ultegra di2? You will get much better value for money with traditional gearing. I am sure di2 is great, but faffing about with batteries and relying on electronic shifting seems to defeat the object of cycling which for me, is, a "just get on it and ride".
I've also heard that in damp, cold conditions the shifting is not reliable and wd40 etc is necessary to get things moving.
For the same money you could get top of the range cabled groupset on your bike.

stevez

Postby stevez » Sat Dec 22, 2012 18:14 pm

I switched do Di2 this year and I have to say it's no gimmick. It makes riding easier as you make more gear changes because there so effortless and fast. I've also been using mine this winter and not experiences any stiffness etc. as mentioned above.

I can therefore thoroughly recommend the Cube Agree GTC Di2 which is in your price range.

MoscowFlyer

Postby MoscowFlyer » Sat Dec 22, 2012 18:51 pm

stevez wrote:I switched do Di2 this year and I have to say it's no gimmick. It makes riding easier as you make more gear changes because there so effortless and fast. I've also been using mine this winter and not experiences any stiffness etc. as mentioned above.

I can therefore thoroughly recommend the Cube Agree GTC Di2 which is in your price range.

This.

I have the Cube and it's a fantastic bike. Good stock levels here.

http://www.climbonbikes.co.uk/bikes-roa ... ee-gtc-di2

EKIMIKE

Postby EKIMIKE » Sat Dec 22, 2012 18:58 pm

I know a bloke with the Cube. It's a weighty package but good quality. Certainly looks the part. He's still riding it so it must be alright. Not one for hyperbole.

MoscowFlyer

Postby MoscowFlyer » Sat Dec 22, 2012 19:03 pm

Yeah, not the lightest it has to be said, it's only a bit lighter than my Boardman team carbon.

Smoothest ride I've ever had though.

Evil Laugh

Postby Evil Laugh » Sat Dec 22, 2012 21:46 pm

mjbennett wrote:May i ask why you are set on ultegra di2? You will get much better value for money with traditional gearing. I am sure di2 is great, but faffing about with batteries and relying on electronic shifting seems to defeat the object of cycling which for me, is, a "just get on it and ride".
I've also heard that in damp, cold conditions the shifting is not reliable and wd40 etc is necessary to get things moving.

Would disagree with all of that. Ultegra Di2 is better value. Cheaper than all top end groupsets but much better performance. Mine has been ridden through wet, cold, mud, you name it and is flawless.

Have it on both bikes now as it's so good. Built a 6700 bike recently which showed up how much better di2 really is to me.

What's the faff with plugging a battery in overnight once every 2 months? That's all the maintenance required.

mjbennett

Postby mjbennett » Sat Dec 22, 2012 22:44 pm

Molo

Postby Molo » Sun Dec 23, 2012 00:50 am

mjbennett wrote:May i ask why you are set on ultegra di2? You will get much better value for money with traditional gearing. I am sure di2 is great, but faffing about with batteries and relying on electronic shifting seems to defeat the object of cycling which for me, is, a "just get on it and ride".

Well went to chain reaction showroom today and tried out a corratec with dura ace group set for similar money - nice bike, good spec, good fit etc. My concern with di2 is reliability / maintenance but seeing other posts from folks who have it it doesn't seem to be an issue. So I need to work out which is better for me di2 or dura?

Will try a few different bikes with both and then make a decision! Going to try an eddy Merckx with dura ace, the two I mentioned with di2 and another corratec with dura and make a decision!

jezzpalmer

Postby jezzpalmer » Sun Dec 23, 2012 06:45 am

mjbennett wrote:http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=13821

That's an old post and there were issues with water ingress in the early days, the ultegra di2 and the new da-di2 uses a completely different wiring harness and plugs.

mallorcajeff

Postby mallorcajeff » Sun Dec 23, 2012 07:09 am

never had a single issue with my dura ace di2 in over 10k miles. its afantastic and as for wd40 and faffing? have never needed anything other than normal maintainence and i find plugging in a battery every couple of months quite easy. I charge my phone everynight and dont find that a "chore" Its personal choice but di2 is great to ride especially in the mountains when your chainging gear going up a lot have never dropped the chain once

mjbennett

Postby mjbennett » Sun Dec 23, 2012 09:34 am

Each to their own, but is di2 really worth it?
The bikes around the price bracket quoted might have di2 but the wheels are rubbish.
You would have a better bike for the same money using an ultegra g/s if you spent the savings on some top wheels, such as dura ace c24, fulcrum racing zeros, or ksyrium slrs

greasedscotsman

Postby greasedscotsman » Sun Dec 23, 2012 20:01 pm

Don't think you will have any reliability issues with Di2. But for this kind of money, I would rather have a wheel upgrade or even another pair of wheels than electric shifting.

GGBiker

Postby GGBiker » Mon Dec 24, 2012 13:29 pm

Colnago clx 3.0 di2 is a available for £3k, £2600 from Wiggle but may not have your size.

Most cyclists wet themselves when they see a Colnago, with Di2 onboard they will probably fall off their bikes when they see a woman riding it!

Molo

Postby Molo » Thu Dec 27, 2012 09:02 am

Gg : Liking the colnago... But being a girl I stupidly checked the paint job on the 2013 model.... Black and white looks super.... I am such a girl ( and yes i am that shallow) Ministry of finance peered over my shoulder as I was looking at it online, funnily enough no amount of me telling him that:
it was a really good bike;
I wouldn't buy any more cycling things for ages;
I wouldn't need to buy new cycling clothes to match as it went with everything I had already ( this was a ploy to highlight that other less expensive bikes may result in a new wardrobe); and
'It was safer' - not sure where I was going with that one...
could convince him that eating beans on toast for the next year was a good idea.... And to be fair not even I can justify 1400 quid for a paint job...

i will have to look at the white one in the flesh and see if I like it.

Thanks everyone for the advice will update when I have been for a test ride on a few!

Return to “Road Buying Advice”