Giant Defy 3 or Cannondale Synapse??

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
Hf21

Giant Defy 3 or Cannondale Synapse??

Postby Hf21 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 22:04 pm

Hi all, i am new to road biking and after visiting my local bike store today i have been advised to get either the giant defy 3 2012 or cannondale synapse ( i cant quite remember which synapse it was a 2012 for just under £700) i was just wondering if anyone could give me advise on which to go for and which is the best bike. thanks.

whitebirdyman

Re: Giant Defy 3 or Cannondale Synapse??

Postby whitebirdyman » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:04 am

I was looking for a new (n+1) bike towards the comfort end of the spectrum earlier in the year to complement those I had. The two you mention frequently come up in discussions as fitting that category. It seemed to me that the Synapse ironed out the road vibration a bit more, but that seemed at the expense of some flex at the back that seemed to stop it responding so well. The Defy on the other hand was just as comfy from the position point of view, but seemed much more responsive. It could be that my weight was a little high for the Synapse and that was affecting the rear stays, so you might not find the same issue. It would be best to ride them and do a comparison for yourself, but if you can't, I would say if you went for the Defy you are unlikely to regret it. I got a 2012 Defy 2 at a good price and it certainly fits my expectations. Also, you need to be sure you want this type of road bike, something like a CAAD8 might be a good alternative to the Synapse.

turbo1191

Postby turbo1191 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 14:32 pm

Id go and try both of them.. i had a synapse and sold it and got a defy. the synapse's geometry didnt quite suit me. i found i needed the 60cm synapse for my inseam length but the top tube was a bit long (bit too much of a reach even with a shorter stem), whereas the large defy was bang on for leg length and the top tube was shorter.. horse's for course's, but definatley ride them both.. :)

ChrisAOnABike

Postby ChrisAOnABike » Sun Dec 23, 2012 14:48 pm

I'm new to road bikes too - tried a Cannondale Synapse and a Giant Defy 3 (composite) back in September.

Both very nice, preferred the Giant, which I now have.

Make sure you try them both!
Is the gorilla tired yet?

clelanj

Postby clelanj » Sun Dec 23, 2012 20:34 pm

If you want style mixed with comfort it might be worth adding the Specialized Secteur triple (£670) to your list of bikes to try out.

Return to “Road Buying Advice”