Which lightweight road brakes? PX ultralight?

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
PeteMadoc

Which lightweight road brakes? PX ultralight?

Postby PeteMadoc » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:18 am

Which brakes offer the best blend of lightweight, price and stopping power?

Planet X Ultra light seem like the obvious choice but are they any good? 205g £89.99

Other options - Dura ace (expensive £199 and not that light 293g), stick with my current 105 5600 calipers (boring and don't match the rest of my bikes group), Sram red (quite light at 265g) . . . . anything else?

If it makes any difference the bike gets used for training, Sunday rides and racing.

Edit: I do take my wheels off to but the bike in the back of the car and I do switch wheels and pads. Sram red 2012 can be had for £140. I'm edging towards these for ease of use me thinks.
Last edited by PeteMadoc on Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

thegreatdivide

Re: Which lightweight road brakes? PX ultralight?

Postby thegreatdivide » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:43 am

On my Izoard I run a PX CNC on the front and a Forged on the back. Nice brakes and they come with Swissstop pads too.

But I've got Super Record brakes on my Cento Uno (full SR groupset) and they're the bomb. A pricey bomb but they're very light and the stopping power is fantastic!
"Crevaison sur les paves..."

NapoleonD

Postby NapoleonD » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:53 am

I've had the P-X CNCs, fine for flat races but stopping power on the hills was bobbins. Running Zero Gravity ones now and they are sublime! Lighter than the P-X but the stopping is better than the Sram reds they replaced. I'd go as far as saying as good as DA or Record I've used before too...
Twitter - @NapD
Strava - Dense Voigt

PeteMadoc

Postby PeteMadoc » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:02 am

Don't think I could put campag on, it would be too weird. Dura ace group, sram chainset and campag brakes :?

NapD where do you get the zero gravity, I can only find them on ebay. How are they for taking wheels off and changing pads?

NapoleonD

Postby NapoleonD » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:05 am

I got mine on the classifieds on here! No probs taking wheels off at all. Pads just slide in. Some easier than others. Swissstops yellow very easily, koolstop salmon needed persuading...
Sigma sport sell them if you are buying new.
Twitter - @NapD
Strava - Dense Voigt

dawebbo

Postby dawebbo » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:53 am

Currently run da7900 calipers, have used the px ones but they are more fiddly to set up and no way near as much stopping power as the da's. I wouldn't change back.
Oddly the best rim brakes I've used I would say are the campag veloce ones (admittedly haven't tried higher end campag ones).

cougie

Postby cougie » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:26 pm

I've the PX brakes on one of my bikes - fiddlier than DA to set up - and not as powerful - but still good enough.
If money was no object I'd go with DA every time. The weight issue is negligible.

EKIMIKE

Postby EKIMIKE » Wed Dec 19, 2012 19:05 pm

NapoleonD wrote:Running Zero Gravity ones now and they are sublime! Lighter than the P-X but the stopping is better than the Sram reds they replaced. I'd go as far as saying as good as DA or Record I've used before too...

That's interesting. They get mixed press. PX brakes are often compared to them. Single pivot and what not. Many moan at ZG's not staying centered.

I personally find PX one's fine for everything. Although i've never owned DA/SR/Red brakes. I don't get the feeling i'm missing out though...

LegendLust

Postby LegendLust » Wed Dec 19, 2012 19:11 pm

If you fit Swiss Stop Green pads to the PX brakes they stop very well

EKIMIKE

Postby EKIMIKE » Wed Dec 19, 2012 19:31 pm

Same for any brake though...

To be honest if you want to spend money on ZG's to shave a few grams and have a boutique product then fine but the PX are practically identical in the mechanism they use. They both use a cam, they're both single pivot.

NapoleonD

Postby NapoleonD » Wed Dec 19, 2012 19:38 pm

EKIMIKE wrote:Same for any brake though...

To be honest if you want to spend money on ZG's to shave a few grams and have a boutique product then fine but the PX are practically identical in the mechanism they use. They both use a cam, they're both single pivot.

I used the same pads, the P-X cnc appeared to visibly flex when pulled hard, it's hardly noticeable on the zero gs.

If I hadn't got my zero gs for the price I did I wouldn't have bothered though, I'd've got super record.
Twitter - @NapD
Strava - Dense Voigt

PeteMadoc

Postby PeteMadoc » Fri Dec 21, 2012 14:10 pm

OK I think I've written off the planet X brakes. This basically leaves Sram red 2012 which can be had for £140 or hold out for something fancy in the classifieds. There's some TRP R960's for £100 at then mo but I may have missed out. Bit worried about the bike turning into a mish mash.

Bigpikle

Postby Bigpikle » Sat Dec 22, 2012 21:26 pm

SRAM red all the way - shop around for a good price.

I have the ultra light PX brakes and they were fine most of the time, but being single pivot they are definitely harder to set up and just dont stop as well as dual pivots. I eventually changed mine just before heading to th Maratona and found the improvement in the Red brakes just what I neeed for proper controlled braking on closed roads in the mountains. I wouldnt go back now, although the DA on my other bike are also superb.
Your Past is Not Your Potential...

LegendLust

Postby LegendLust » Sat Dec 22, 2012 23:06 pm

NapoleonD wrote:
EKIMIKE wrote:Same for any brake though...

I used the same pads, the P-X cnc appeared to visibly flex when pulled hard, it's hardly noticeable on the zero gs.

If I hadn't got my zero gs for the price I did I wouldn't have bothered though, I'd've got super record.

So when you're braking hard you look at your front brake rather than what's in front of you causing you to brake?

NapoleonD

Postby NapoleonD » Sat Dec 22, 2012 23:09 pm

Yeah....

On the other hand, when you fit brakes do you not ensure the cable is set properly by pulling the brakes on as hard as you can before using them?
Twitter - @NapD
Strava - Dense Voigt

LegendLust

Postby LegendLust » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:33 pm

NapoleonD wrote:Yeah....

On the other hand, when you fit brakes do you not ensure the cable is set properly by pulling the brakes on as hard as you can before using them?

Yeah but that's hardly a true real world test is it?

Properly set up and with good quality brake blocks, I couldn't tell much difference between my Campag Chorus dual pivots and the PX brakes. But perhaps I don't have to brake hard cos I'm not looking at my brake but looking where I'm going :wink:

NapoleonD

Postby NapoleonD » Sun Dec 23, 2012 15:27 pm

I did get a noticeable difference in braking performance. That's my experience. They just didn't scrub the speed off quickly enough when braking downhill. Yes, they were set up well, yes I used decent pads, yes I was looking where I was going.
Twitter - @NapD
Strava - Dense Voigt

EKIMIKE

Postby EKIMIKE » Sun Dec 23, 2012 18:35 pm

Gah! It's fairly obvious that dual pivot brakes will be more powerful. They'll also be less finicky to set up.

Ultimately plenty of people cope fine with Planet X brakes (or any light-weight sets for that matter). It might be worth considering weight of the rider too. I suppose if someone was pretty heavy should probably stick to dual pivot brakes.

Now, i don't buy this statement that ZG's are as good a brake-set as DA or Record or Red. Let's be honest, NapoleonD isn't afraid of a bit of hyperbole. If you want the best brakes - stick with DA and Record and Red, the big boys. They're tried and tested technology. If you want a compromise in favour of weight then take your pick between PX, ZG, KCNC, M5, AX, THM or whatever takes your fancy. It will always be a compromise though.

NapoleonD

Postby NapoleonD » Sun Dec 23, 2012 20:26 pm

What I find with the Zero G's is they have as much ultimate stopping power as Sram Red but better modulation. With the planet X I found that they braked up to a point then any harder on the lever and they seemed to flex the brake caliper rather than apply any more force.

I agree that the best ones overall in terms of braking quality and modulation are record/SR and DA. As I said, If I hadn't already got the Zero G's I would be going for the SRs.
Twitter - @NapD
Strava - Dense Voigt

fatboyonabike

Postby fatboyonabike » Mon Dec 24, 2012 20:46 pm

The PX brakes won't stop you if you are slightly on the heavier side of cycling. I have fitted them to my canyon and very quickly moved them to an old winter bike.

Return to “Road Buying Advice”