Andy Schleck Interview

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
User avatar
frenchfighter
Posts: 30000
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 17:35 pm

Re: Andy Schleck Interview

Postby frenchfighter » Thu Dec 20, 2012 13:27 pm

Richmond Racer wrote:
frenchfighter wrote:I'd be pretty sure that if Contador and Andy turn up to a GT together they will work together and turn the heat onto Sky, having fun in the process.



Frenchie, I hate to break this to you but generally winners ride to win, not to have a general hoot and laugh. Not really the top priority.

Let's trust no more dropped chain incidents, eh?



I hate to break it to you but you are not correct in this one. Yes they ride to win but there are some (the two above, especially Contador), who are very aware of the fans and do actually ride aggressively even when it isn't technically necessary.
Contador is the Greatest

User avatar
greasedscotsman
Posts: 6637
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 20:38 pm

Re: Andy Schleck Interview

Postby greasedscotsman » Thu Dec 20, 2012 13:33 pm

Rick Chasey wrote:I do have concerns. Frank was the one who cracked the whip with Andy's traninig IIRC.


He can still do that, can't he? Even if he is banned.

Bakunin
Posts: 840
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 13:18 pm

Re: Andy Schleck Interview

Postby Bakunin » Thu Dec 20, 2012 13:35 pm

Yeah, we can all celebrate Andy's glorious victory in 2010, even if he will not.

Explaining away his tactical bankruptcy in 2011 is a different story though. That was his race to win and he blew it.

For all the talent he has (I think he is talented), he may end up being remembered as a swivel headed, chain dropping, detached, bridesmaid.

He is no Bradley Wiggins...a stage racer who wins stage races.

User avatar
ddraver
Posts: 17394
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2005 15:57 pm

Re: Andy Schleck Interview

Postby ddraver » Thu Dec 20, 2012 13:36 pm

frenchfighter wrote:
Richmond Racer wrote:
frenchfighter wrote:I'd be pretty sure that if Contador and Andy turn up to a GT together they will work together and turn the heat onto Sky, having fun in the process.



Frenchie, I hate to break this to you but generally winners ride to win, not to have a general hoot and laugh. Not really the top priority.

Let's trust no more dropped chain incidents, eh?



I hate to break it to you but you are not correct in this one. Yes they ride to win but there are some (the two above, especially Contador), who are very aware of the fans and do actually ride aggressively even when it isn't technically necessary.


What? Frenchie you re moving to new levels of delusion now - Come back buddy! Come back!
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver
- Blog-http://davekio.wordpress.com/

User avatar
Rick Chasey
Lives Here
Posts: 28583
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 15:34 pm

Re: Andy Schleck Interview

Postby Rick Chasey » Thu Dec 20, 2012 13:42 pm

greasedscotsman wrote:
Rick Chasey wrote:I do have concerns. Frank was the one who cracked the whip with Andy's traninig IIRC.


He can still do that, can't he? Even if he is banned.


I guess so.

He can do the drug running too .

dougzz
Posts: 1792
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 07:50 am

Re: Andy Schleck Interview

Postby dougzz » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:35 pm

Rick Chasey wrote:But an on form Andy makes for a better race - especially if Contador is there too. The two of them could easily make life difficult for the 'sky' train and we'd have a just-the-favourites selection much sooner.

Maybe they'll track stand whilst in a stare down, meanwhile Sky get 5 minutes having passed by without either of them noticing.

User avatar
ThomThom
Posts: 3481
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 19:25 pm

Re: Andy Schleck Interview

Postby ThomThom » Mon Dec 24, 2012 00:49 am

greasedscotsman wrote:S'funny. He gets alot of stick on this forum,


And the stick is spot on. He's been whining about how;

- Hilly finishes don't suit him
- Descends don't suit him
- TT's are his 'weakness'
- TTT's are his 'weakness'
- Cat. 2 mountains don't suit him
- He can't sprint
- Plateau De Beille(7,9%) was too soft and didn't really suit him
- He's not happy about small roads
- Bad weather is not really his 'thing'
- He can't change gears
- He's lazy

That said, he can still make a race entertaining and I hope he delivers this season and cuts the crap out. Tired of his excuses. That injury this season was never as serious as we were told. He just couldn't be arsed to do what was expected of him. Was it Andy without juice we saw last year?

User avatar
greasedscotsman
Posts: 6637
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 20:38 pm

Re: Andy Schleck Interview

Postby greasedscotsman » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:13 am

ThomThom wrote:And the stick is spot on. He's been whining about how;

- Hilly finishes don't suit him
- Descends don't suit him
- TT's are his 'weakness'
- TTT's are his 'weakness'
- Cat. 2 mountains don't suit him
- He can't sprint
- Plateau De Beille(7,9%) was too soft and didn't really suit him
- He's not happy about small roads
- Bad weather is not really his 'thing'
- He can't change gears
- He's lazy

That said, he can still make a race entertaining and I hope he delivers this season and cuts the crap out. Tired of his excuses. That injury this season was never as serious as we were told. He just couldn't be arsed to do what was expected of him. Was it Andy without juice we saw last year?


Well, he isn't very good at alot of the things on your list, so I would suggest he's being honest. But I do find it very hard to believe he's been whining that he can't change gear or that he's lazy.

User avatar
ThomThom
Posts: 3481
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 19:25 pm

Re: Andy Schleck Interview

Postby ThomThom » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:26 am

You know what I mean with the last two, though..

User avatar
greasedscotsman
Posts: 6637
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 20:38 pm

Re: Andy Schleck Interview

Postby greasedscotsman » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:52 am

Well, for someone who doesn't like hilly finishes, descents, TTs, TTTs, Cat. 2 mountains, small roads, bad weather, changing gears and who is lazy, he's doing well to have won the Tour, Liege and the Feche de Sud.

User avatar
ThomThom
Posts: 3481
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 19:25 pm

Re: Andy Schleck Interview

Postby ThomThom » Mon Dec 24, 2012 13:25 pm

Yeh, you'd almost think he was on the same as his brother which he spends 99% of his time with..

Remember; He's the one mentioning his own weaknesses. Not me.
Last edited by ThomThom on Mon Dec 24, 2012 13:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
frenchfighter
Posts: 30000
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 17:35 pm

Re: Andy Schleck Interview

Postby frenchfighter » Mon Dec 24, 2012 13:49 pm

Looking through my photos tagged with Schleck (both), there are a huge number of them attacking. They can't be faulted on that for the few races they race in.
Contador is the Greatest

User avatar
Rick Chasey
Lives Here
Posts: 28583
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 15:34 pm

Re: Andy Schleck Interview

Postby Rick Chasey » Mon Dec 24, 2012 16:23 pm

dougzz wrote:
Rick Chasey wrote:But an on form Andy makes for a better race - especially if Contador is there too. The two of them could easily make life difficult for the 'sky' train and we'd have a just-the-favourites selection much sooner.

Maybe they'll track stand whilst in a stare down, meanwhile Sky get 5 minutes having passed by without either of them noticing.


That finish was more excited from a GC perspective than all the MTF finishes in this year's Tour combined.

User avatar
ddraver
Posts: 17394
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2005 15:57 pm

Re: Andy Schleck Interview

Postby ddraver » Mon Dec 24, 2012 17:29 pm

It was brilliant that wasnt it!
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver
- Blog-http://davekio.wordpress.com/

User avatar
greasedscotsman
Posts: 6637
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 20:38 pm

Re: Andy Schleck Interview

Postby greasedscotsman » Mon Dec 24, 2012 17:38 pm

ThomThom wrote:Remember; He's the one mentioning his own weaknesses. Not me.


Err, hold on. When did he ever say he was lazy or that he couldn't change gear. Also suggesting that a climb or a finish didn't suit him isn't the same as naming it as a weakness.

I think we can all agree (including Andy) that he isn't very good at time trialing and that he doesn't like taking risks on descents or in the wet (which I've already pointed out probably has alot to do with Wouter Weylant). But I think that makes his presence at a race more interesting. He HAS to attack to make up the time he's lost elsewhere. And I don't think he has too bad a sprint for a climber.

I think next year's race will be better for him being there.

On_What
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 14:15 pm

Re: Andy Schleck Interview

Postby On_What » Thu Dec 27, 2012 23:37 pm

iainf72 wrote:
On_What wrote:Either way he can't ride without looking backwards. Doesn't register as a GC contendor


Tour de France winner doesn't register as contender? Tough crowd


Point I'm trying to make is that he is "bigger up" as someone to watch but in reality has never done much bar looking around! If he can recreate his form from a good few years ago then he may win me over, though tough now that big bro has been found out as a junkie :wink:

dougzz
Posts: 1792
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 07:50 am

Re: Andy Schleck Interview

Postby dougzz » Fri Dec 28, 2012 02:21 am

On_What wrote:Point I'm trying to make is that he is "bigger up" as someone to watch but in reality has never done much bar looking around! If he can recreate his form from a good few years ago then he may win me over, though tough now that big bro has been found out as a junkie :wink:

Well the point you're trying to make doesn't match up to the facts. TdF winner, several runner up spots, a LBL. No one is responsible for their family.

User avatar
ShinyHelmut
Posts: 1263
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 23:27 pm

Re: Andy Schleck Interview

Postby ShinyHelmut » Mon Jan 07, 2013 07:59 am

More schleck;

http://cyclingnews.com/news/cycling-has-already-changed-says-schleck

On Sky's zero tolerance;
“It’s their decision, but a guy like Bobby Julich, who admitted to using EPO but changed his attitude afterwards, should not be disowned. I know him for a long time. At Saxo Bank, he helped me a lot and he was one of the cleanest on the team. Everybody has the right to a second chance. Look at David Millar: he tested positive for EPO and today he does a lot for anti-doping.”


I'm guessing that bit is just a poor translation :lol:

User avatar
ThomThom
Posts: 3481
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 19:25 pm

Re: Andy Schleck Interview

Postby ThomThom » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:20 am

It is, yes. There's a different article somewhere, vnews, I guess, without that quote.

User avatar
inseine
Posts: 3200
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 08:19 am
Contact:

Re: Andy Schleck Interview

Postby inseine » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:52 am

squireelpie wrote...

How is attacking someone who has dropped there chain worse than doping?


but I assume he was joking?


Return to “Pro Race”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Joelsim, k1875, Mccrear and 17 guests