HELP! Which 29er should I buy?

Discuss the eternal "Which fork/bike/tyres should I buy?" questions.
User avatar
iLukeKendall
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 17:02 pm

HELP! Which 29er should I buy?

Postby iLukeKendall » Thu Dec 27, 2012 17:10 pm

Hi all,

I'm currently looking at buying my first 29er - mainly just to be used for fitness purposes on a semi-made track through a local woods, although I would like to be able to take it off-road occasionally. I don't know a huge amount about bikes, so I was wondering if someone could offer me some advice as to which of these two bikes is the better option.

I originally had my heart set on a Scott Aspect 29 Sport 2012 (mainly because I love the paintjob!) but also saw the Trek Mamba 2013 today, and can't decide between the two!

Links to each of these can be found below. I would greatly appreciate any help, advice or opinions you may have.

Scott Aspect 29 Sport 2012 http://www.drakescycles.co.uk/m1b66s356p3026/SCOTT_Aspect_29_Sport_2012/RS_GB/12417

Trek Mamba 2013
http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/mountain/sport/29er_sport/mamba/#

Many thanks for any help in advance! :D

User avatar
supersonic
Lives Here
Posts: 81831
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:50 am

Re: HELP! Which 29er should I buy?

Postby supersonic » Thu Dec 27, 2012 17:33 pm

On paper the Trek is the better bike - superior fork and a few nicer parts.

But why 29er? Much better and lighter 26ers are to be had for £700.

User avatar
iLukeKendall
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 17:02 pm

Re: HELP! Which 29er should I buy?

Postby iLukeKendall » Thu Dec 27, 2012 17:52 pm

supersonic wrote:On paper the Trek is the better bike - superior fork and a few nicer parts.

But why 29er? Much better and lighter 26ers are to be had for £700.


Thanks for the reply. Would you say the extra £150 is worth it for the better specs of the Trek over the Scott?

I'm purely looking at 29ers because thats what I came across first - I'm quite tall and I generally prefer a bigger bike. Are there any 26ers that you would specifically recommend?

User avatar
supersonic
Lives Here
Posts: 81831
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:50 am

Re: HELP! Which 29er should I buy?

Postby supersonic » Thu Dec 27, 2012 18:07 pm

29ers aren't bigger, just the wheels ;-). You size the bike by looking at the frame geometry, or simply sitting on it.

It's not worth 150 quid more, no. But it might fit better.

User avatar
chez_m356
Posts: 1892
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 20:04 pm

Re: HELP! Which 29er should I buy?

Postby chez_m356 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 18:13 pm

are you using your own money or is it one of the cycle schemes ?
Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011

User avatar
iLukeKendall
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 17:02 pm

Re: HELP! Which 29er should I buy?

Postby iLukeKendall » Thu Dec 27, 2012 18:19 pm

supersonic wrote:29ers aren't bigger, just the wheels ;-). You size the bike by looking at the frame geometry, or simply sitting on it.

It's not worth 150 quid more, no. But it might fit better.


Haha fair enough - I'm new to all this! :roll:

I tried out the Trek briefly at my local bike shop - it seemed fairly comfortable but I don't really have anything to compare it against. The Scott is only available online unfortunately (and the shop that is selling it is about 320 miles away!) so I can't try out that one. I guess it's probably worth spending a bit more considering the shop is local and if I have any issues I know where to go - plus the specs are slightly better as you said.

User avatar
iLukeKendall
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 17:02 pm

Re: HELP! Which 29er should I buy?

Postby iLukeKendall » Thu Dec 27, 2012 18:20 pm

chez_m356 wrote:are you using your own money or is it one of the cycle schemes ?


Hi Chez, unfortunately my own money! I work for a small company so they don't offer the cycle to work scheme unfortunately (plus it's more convenient to get a bus).

User avatar
supersonic
Lives Here
Posts: 81831
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:50 am

Re: HELP! Which 29er should I buy?

Postby supersonic » Thu Dec 27, 2012 18:27 pm

What shop is it? Do they have a website?

User avatar
chez_m356
Posts: 1892
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 20:04 pm

Re: HELP! Which 29er should I buy?

Postby chez_m356 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 18:28 pm

iLukeKendall wrote:
chez_m356 wrote:are you using your own money or is it one of the cycle schemes ?


Hi Chez, unfortunately my own money! I work for a small company so they don't offer the cycle to work scheme unfortunately (plus it's more convenient to get a bus).

just looking at best vfm t your price, this is decent, though would be 20 or 30 quid over budget with shipping http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k1275/ ... ml?mfid=52 or a uk based 26'' bike if 20'' frame fits of course ? http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _2012_Bike
Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011

User avatar
iLukeKendall
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 17:02 pm

Re: HELP! Which 29er should I buy?

Postby iLukeKendall » Thu Dec 27, 2012 18:30 pm

supersonic wrote:What shop is it? Do they have a website?


The Scott is available online from a company called Drake's Cycles, website is here: http://www.drakescycles.co.uk/m1b66s356p3026/SCOTT_Aspect_29_Sport_2012/RS_GB/12417

The Trek is available from a shop about a 3 minute drive from my house, The Bike Cellar, their website is here: http://thebikecellar.co.uk/

User avatar
supersonic
Lives Here
Posts: 81831
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:50 am

Re: HELP! Which 29er should I buy?

Postby supersonic » Thu Dec 27, 2012 18:35 pm

If you prefer to buy online ie not locally then you have a world of choices. But buying locally, as you say, has many advantages, not least that you can try it for size. However you seem to be limited to just Trek.

User avatar
iLukeKendall
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 17:02 pm

Re: HELP! Which 29er should I buy?

Postby iLukeKendall » Thu Dec 27, 2012 18:51 pm

chez_m356 wrote:
iLukeKendall wrote:
chez_m356 wrote:are you using your own money or is it one of the cycle schemes ?


Hi Chez, unfortunately my own money! I work for a small company so they don't offer the cycle to work scheme unfortunately (plus it's more convenient to get a bus).

just looking at best vfm t your price, this is decent, though would be 20 or 30 quid over budget with shipping http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k1275/ ... ml?mfid=52 or a uk based 26'' bike if 20'' frame fits of course ? http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _2012_Bike


Thanks Chez, that Radon looks pretty sweet, and not too badly price either. I'm assuming it's better spec-wise than the two I'm originally comparing? The Cube is a bit out of budget for me unfortunately - I can't really afford to go too much over the £700 mark.

User avatar
iLukeKendall
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 17:02 pm

Re: HELP! Which 29er should I buy?

Postby iLukeKendall » Thu Dec 27, 2012 18:54 pm

supersonic wrote:If you prefer to buy online ie not locally then you have a world of choices. But buying locally, as you say, has many advantages, not least that you can try it for size. However you seem to be limited to just Trek.


Yeah, unfortunately my closest bike shop only deal with Trek. There is a local Scott dealer nearby, however they don't appear to have the 2012 models available anymore, and don't even appear to have the equivalent 2013 models yet (based on their website). I might take a trip and see what they have in-store tomorrow.

Buying online does put me off a bit - I'd like to know I have someone to turn to if it arrives and isn't as expected, especially as I haven't had the opportunity to try it out for size etc beforehand.

User avatar
chez_m356
Posts: 1892
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 20:04 pm

Re: HELP! Which 29er should I buy?

Postby chez_m356 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 19:00 pm

the cube is reduced to £699 in sizes 18'' and 20''
Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011


Return to “MTB Buying Advice”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests