King of the Downs 2012

Organising a chain gang? Entering a Sportive/Audax?
FransJacques

Re: King of the Downs 2012

Postby FransJacques » Mon May 28, 2012 09:41 am

Good going for 6:40! Ride time for me was 6:44 with 6:55 total time: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/182858016 Happy cuz it was 25 mins off my 2009 time which was rainy and cold.

Agreed the heat played a part - my body eventually stopped to digest gels and drink, it was all sitting like a big, distended ball in my stomach. I was bloated and bonked badly at about 120kms in. Made the rest of the ride hard.

The second loop was some of the most beautiful riding I've done in ages - just gorgeous. Really nice. The hills weren't too bad as they were mostly short.
When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
---------------

Agent57

Postby Agent57 » Mon May 28, 2012 19:55 pm

FransJacques wrote:Good going for 6:40! Ride time for me was 6:44 with 6:55 total time: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/182858016

"You do not have sufficient privileges to view the activity with id 182858016." =(

One of my mates did it - http://app.strava.com/rides/9468363 - looks a long way to me! I was pleased I managed 38 miles yesterday. ;)
MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)

FransJacques

Postby FransJacques » Wed May 30, 2012 17:14 pm

I don't know what's wrong with that link, I've allowed sharing of ride files.

Looking at the results I think more than a few folks who signed up for the full just rode the half, esp with times of 5 hrs. Not that I couldn't be done, just maybe on a bike with an engine.

Anyone going to Wessex this weekend?
When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
---------------

phw

Re: King of the Downs 2012 - feedback

Postby phw » Fri Dec 28, 2012 13:51 pm

The registration process was easy
Not so easy getting a map before the event.
Non - Evans software was a pain to download and install but this was my problem and not Evans. However a pre-ride PDF would have been very useful.
Ride was quite well marshalled (where there were marshals) but was quite poorly marked with many turns missed by many cyclists, at times the sportive felt more like an auddax than it should have.

The post-race 'food' consisted of tasteless overlooked pasta, but the tea was most welcome.
The goody bag had some nice stuff in it the BMC hat had a slightly fetishistic PVC coating on it, (hence the giveaway) and the high5 bits were the highlight.
The race photos look quite good and the prices seem reasonable.
The aid stations had the feeling of being understaffed and with poor infrastructure. I understand the benefits of having a big drinks dispenser, but being able to dispense drinks to one cyclist a time per dispenser meant unacceptably long queues on a very hot day. In some continental sportives, the organisers had staff with 3 ltr jugs filling bottles while cyclists waited queued for food. This means that participants can get on their way without unreasonable delays. Unfortunately these queues were particularly at the second and third stops on the long course.
There was no bike racking at any of the stops. This meant that people were leaving their bikes where ever they could find a space, which was not acceptable given the value and number of of bikes parked up. A simple post and rail system would have been easy to assemble and take down, and welcome for the participants.

Evans have an affluent, mature rider profile who have money to spend and service level expectations to be met. This was another example of where the execution failed to live up to the expectation.
This is something that is consistent with my ongoing Evans experience. It is clear that Evans corporate strategy is dominated by the finance and marketing functions and that the Evans brand values the shiny side of the business (ie the glass boxes and bikes all lined up in nice rows in the shops) but the delivery of the customer experience appears subordinate to all other aspects of the strategy. The firm would seem to need a chief delivery officer, who was a sophisticated consumer, a keen cyclist and knowledgable of high touch emotive products bought by other affluent and sophisticated customers via multiple channels.

It would also be nice to have the race data in Excel format including moving time, age categories, genders etc.

Despite these shortcomings, Evans should be applauded for putting this on and it was an enjoyable day and a good ride.

Return to “Sportives/Audaxes/Training rides”