Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
RDW

Sir Bradley Wiggins

Postby RDW » Sat Dec 29, 2012 00:01 am

New Year Honours just announced.

ad_snow

Re: Sir Bradley Wiggins

Postby ad_snow » Sat Dec 29, 2012 00:18 am

I think that's awesome. Well deserved. Dave Brailsford too.

Heavymental

Postby Heavymental » Sat Dec 29, 2012 00:34 am

Froomey will no doubt have a little choke on his muesli when he reads that in the morning. Will the plaudits never cease!

RichN95

Postby RichN95 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 00:41 am

No upgrade for Thomas and Clancy which seems a little harsh on them.
Twitter: @RichN95

ElLawro

Postby ElLawro » Sat Dec 29, 2012 00:54 am

Oh dear, when will it end?

reallyarunner

Postby reallyarunner » Sat Dec 29, 2012 01:02 am

There you go, proof that giving the V's to cameramen don't do any harm. Now it would have been different if he'd slapped Kate Middleton's @rse at SPOTY .... Would have been costly but funny as fcuk!!!!!

Edit: swear filter doesn't like flciking but is happy to accept giving? WTF????
When a true genius appears in this world, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. - Jonathan Swift

Yellow Peril

Postby Yellow Peril » Sat Dec 29, 2012 09:17 am

If honours are to exist then this is well deserved. Not only did he win the TdF and start the "gold rush" at this Olympics but he does have a great previous Olympic palmares as well.

The people have spoken...arise Sir Brad!

TailWindHome

Postby TailWindHome » Sat Dec 29, 2012 09:26 am

Yellow Peril wrote:If honours are to exist then this is well deserved. Not only did he win the TdF and start the "gold rush" at this Olympics but he does have a great previous Olympic palmares as well.

Sir Wiggo of Kilburn eh?

Honestly I'd set the bar a lot higher before I'd start giving sports people honours.....but there you go.
"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED? IS THIS NOT WHY YOU ARE HERE?"

Yellow Peril

Postby Yellow Peril » Sat Dec 29, 2012 09:54 am

TailWindHome wrote:
Yellow Peril wrote:If honours are to exist then this is well deserved. Not only did he win the TdF and start the "gold rush" at this Olympics but he does have a great previous Olympic palmares as well.

Sir Wiggo of Kilburn eh?

Honestly I'd set the bar a lot higher before I'd start giving sports people honours.....but there you go.

High jumpers only then eh?

I know what you mean and that is where the honours system falls down. People are considered on recommendation and so high profile people and entertainment luvvies prevail. As long as they don't get it into their heads that they think they got it because they work harder than the average Joe or contribute more to society than the rest of us then it's ok with me. I also hope that they don't expect me to genuflect to them or treat them with any more reverence than I would choose to give then everything will be fine and dandy.

tremayne

Postby tremayne » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:27 am

Yellow Peril wrote:
TailWindHome wrote:

Sir Wiggo of Kilburn eh?

High jumpers only then eh?

I know what you mean and that is where the honours system falls down. People are considered on recommendation and so high profile people and entertainment luvvies prevail. As long as they don't get it into their heads that they think they got it because they work harder than the average Joe or contribute more to society than the rest of us then it's ok with me. I also hope that they don't expect me to genuflect to them or treat them with any more reverence than I would choose to give then everything will be fine and dandy.

Fair enough - but lets be honest in agreeing that this guy put a smile on almost the whole nation during his time trial and prior to that, similar at the TDF. He has touched the masses, cheered us all up during what would otherwise be a sh!tty year. Displayed a very left field sense of humour and generally been a good egg.

kleinstroker

Postby kleinstroker » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:38 am

Its all a bit stupid this knighthood thing. Should be reserved for contributing to the good of humanity or something, curing cancer etc, not riding a bike! OBE should be enough for any sportsperson ever. Complete and utter nonsense but well done sir bradley never the less!
My Men 2016: Julian Alaphilippe, Romain Bardet, Mikael Cherel, Tom Dumoulin, Tony Gallopin, Mikel Landa, Ritchie Porte, Zdenek Stybar, Alejandro Valverde

RDW

Postby RDW » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:38 am

ad_snow wrote:I think that's awesome. Well deserved. Dave Brailsford too.

And Dame Sarah Storey.

CBE for Victoria Pendleton, OBEs for Jason Kenny and Laura Trott, MBEs for Steven Burke, Philip Hindes, Peter Kennaugh, Dani King, Joanna Rowsell, Mark Colbourne, Neil Fachie, and Craig MacLean.

Nice interview with Sir Brad: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20858353

tremayne

Postby tremayne » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:44 am

kleinstroker wrote:Its all a bit stupid this knighthood thing. Should be reserved for contributing to the good of humanity or something, curing cancer etc, not riding a bike! OBE should be enough for any sportsperson ever. Complete and utter nonsense but well done sir bradley never the less!

If these 'hand in the till' , 'oops, hand in the till again, sorry about that'. Politicians are worthy of masses of honours, then I begrudge Sir Brad Wiggins nothing. More worthy than those scumbags.

TailWindHome

Postby TailWindHome » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:50 am

What will be the punishment for the African fellow if he should dare to attack a Knight of the Realm on some foreign hillside?

Sent to the tower?
"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED? IS THIS NOT WHY YOU ARE HERE?"

BR 1979

Postby BR 1979 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:55 am

Sir Bradley Wiggins! Love it.

Definitely debatable as to whether it's "deserved" or not. Whatever that means.

Makes me happy though. :)

What a difference a year makes!

DesWeller

Postby DesWeller » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:18 am

tremayne wrote:
kleinstroker wrote:Its all a bit stupid this knighthood thing. Should be reserved for contributing to the good of humanity or something, curing cancer etc, not riding a bike! OBE should be enough for any sportsperson ever. Complete and utter nonsense but well done sir bradley never the less!

If these 'hand in the till' , 'oops, hand in the till again, sorry about that'. Politicians are worthy of masses of honours, then I begrudge Sir Brad Wiggins nothing. More worthy than those scumbags.

Yep, not to mention those senior civil servants. Honours just come in the cereal box for that lot.

merinotop

Postby merinotop » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:59 am

I'm pleased for him, he deserves it, but I hope it doesn't mark the beginning of the backlash - comments online are quite mixed. It's as if once the establishment recognises you, the public and media will turn away.

I think it's brilliant, sound hilarious too.

frenchfighter

Postby frenchfighter » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:53 pm

I wish they would give me one so I can tell them to forget it. royalty (small R) are a blight on this country and an insult to any hard working person.
Contador is the Greatest

tremayne

Postby tremayne » Sat Dec 29, 2012 13:31 pm

frenchfighter wrote:I wish they would give me one so I can tell them to forget it. royalty (small R) are a blight on this country and an insult to any hard working person.

Yes yes yes, we know what you did to yours. However, we are bit more civilised than that and happily enough, Queenie and co are much loved features of this country. It's all part of the deal.

RichN95

Postby RichN95 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 13:44 pm

frenchfighter wrote:I wish they would give me one so I can tell them to forget it. royalty (small R) are a blight on this country and an insult to any hard working person.

We may have given knighthoods to Robert Mugabe, Anthony Blunt, Jimmy Saville and a variety of bankers, but we draw the line at giving them to the French.
Twitter: @RichN95

Return to “Pro Race”