Hill climbing ratios

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
boogi11

Re: Hill climbing ratios

Postby boogi11 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 19:01 pm

Listen..... I'm deffo over weight, and it will be a big push, I'm currently 15st . Jan the 2nd will be a big push to shed weight, that said, I am very fit, I have a good recovery rate etc......I think getting to 13st will be a push.

On the rear cassettes if I do decide to change do I have to adjust Anyang or should it just swap straight over

Height wise I'm 6ft

SmoggySteve

Postby SmoggySteve » Sun Dec 30, 2012 19:05 pm

I would stick a new chain on regardless. stops problems with worn gears slipping.

unixnerd

Postby unixnerd » Sun Dec 30, 2012 19:15 pm

My nephew went from totally unfit 14st to under 11 in a year just through cycling, keep at it and all is possible :-)
http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!

joe.90

Postby joe.90 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 19:53 pm

boogi11 wrote:Listen..... I'm deffo over weight, and it will be a big push, I'm currently 15st . Jan the 2nd will be a big push to shed weight, that said, I am very fit, I have a good recovery rate etc......I think getting to 13st will be a push.

On the rear cassettes if I do decide to change do I have to adjust Anyang or should it just swap straight over

Height wise I'm 6ft

I'm not being horrible, but how can you be overweight and very fit? The two don't go together :?

MountainMonster

Postby MountainMonster » Sun Dec 30, 2012 19:55 pm

joe.90 wrote:
boogi11 wrote:Listen..... I'm deffo over weight, and it will be a big push, I'm currently 15st . Jan the 2nd will be a big push to shed weight, that said, I am very fit, I have a good recovery rate etc......I think getting to 13st will be a push.

Height wise I'm 6ft

I'm not being horrible, but how can you be overweight and very fit? The two don't go together :?

I was the same before I got completely skinny. I could "hang with the big boys" even though I was still overweight. It just has to do with the training being in good form but still having some pounds to shed.

joe.90

Postby joe.90 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 19:57 pm

MountainMonster wrote:
joe.90 wrote:

Height wise I'm 6ft

I was the same before I got completely skinny. I could "hang with the big boys" even though I was still overweight. It just has to do with the training being in good form but still having some pounds to shed.

Surely it has more to do with the amount of food you put in your mouth?

Edit: i joke *

MountainMonster

Postby MountainMonster » Sun Dec 30, 2012 20:00 pm

joe.90 wrote:
MountainMonster wrote:
joe.90 wrote:

Height wise I'm 6ft

You are quite a rude one. I spent 2 years losing 40kg, at the end of the first year I was 30kg down and in very good form, did very well out riding in the alps, but still had a belly. How has that got anything to do with putting food in my mouth saying I still had some to lose?

styxd

Postby styxd » Sun Dec 30, 2012 20:02 pm

MountainMonster wrote:
joe.90 wrote:

Height wise I'm 6ft

Haha, who are the "big boys"?

It tends to be the "big boys" who are useless at hill climbs.

boogi11

Postby boogi11 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 20:05 pm

My wife is 9 st. I can run faster, swim further, bike harder, weight is not the be all and end all...

Anyway, I have incentive, if I get to 13.5 st I'm buying a wilier gt. that souks give me something to aim for

styxd

Postby styxd » Sun Dec 30, 2012 20:27 pm

boogi11 wrote:My wife is 9 st. I can run faster, swim further, bike harder, weight is not the be all and end all...

Anyway, I have incentive, if I get to 13.5 st I'm buying a wilier gt. that souks give me something to aim for

Unless your wife is a bloke, that doesnt really surprise me.

boogi11

Postby boogi11 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 20:39 pm

I said my wife....

boogi11

Postby boogi11 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 20:40 pm

So to be clear, all thin people are fit and all fat people are unfit.....

joe.90

Postby joe.90 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 20:45 pm

MountainMonster wrote:
joe.90 wrote:
MountainMonster wrote:
joe.90 wrote:

Height wise I'm 6ft

You are quite a rude one. I spent 2 years losing 40kg, at the end of the first year I was 30kg down and in very good form, did very well out riding in the alps, but still had a belly. How has that got anything to do with putting food in my mouth saying I still had some to lose?

Well, if you never eat so much in the first place you wouldn't have a belly to lose!

I'm not trying to come across rude, but its not rocket science: if you eat healthy and train lots then you won't be overweight.

You may be relatively fit yes, but there is no way you you are 'very fit' as you put it, for climbing.

As rude as you may think I sound I'm just trying to put it to you, no bullsh1t

joe.90

Postby joe.90 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 20:47 pm

boogi11 wrote:So to be clear, all thin people are fit and all fat people are unfit.....

Not at all, we know it doest work like that, but. how often do you see a fat athlete?

boogi11

Postby boogi11 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 20:48 pm

Unbelievable...... I've picked a sport full of tosserd

joe.90

Postby joe.90 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 20:52 pm

boogi11 wrote:Unbelievable...... I've picked a sport full of tosserd

Please explain to me what you find so offensive about that?

unixnerd

Postby unixnerd » Sun Dec 30, 2012 20:54 pm

Seriously, you don't know why he's offended? I have Aspergers and even I know why he's offended.
http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!

styxd

Postby styxd » Sun Dec 30, 2012 20:55 pm

boogi11 wrote:Unbelievable...... I've picked a sport full of tosserd

Eh?

But yeh, if its your sport then you really shouldnt be fat.

However, if its only a hobby, be as fat as you want (like me!)

joe.90

Postby joe.90 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 20:58 pm

unixnerd wrote:Seriously, you don't know why he's offended? I have Aspergers and even I know why he's offended.

Unless there is a underlying medical condition that affects his weight...then I have no idea.

If there is a condition, then I genuinely am sorry.

essjaydee

Postby essjaydee » Sun Dec 30, 2012 21:01 pm

Explains why I'm shoot at hills then being 6ft2" and 16St :cry:

My own fault for being such a fat gluttonous twunt and choosing the wrong hobby :oops:

112 miles and 12,000ft is a good ride, and if you don't ride hills regularly, then you will find this challenging. I did the 'Ride with Brad' this year and that was 102 miles and 10500ft, on an 34-28 which was hard, but ok. If I'd had another 10 miles and 1500ft I would have really struggled at the time :|

I would recommend a 34-28 as a minimum and try and plan some hill rides during next year.

Return to “Road General”