Vinyl wrapping forks? Anyone done it?

Got a general MTB question that doesn't fit anywhere else? Here's the place.
nickrh

Vinyl wrapping forks? Anyone done it?

Postby nickrh » Mon Dec 31, 2012 16:59 pm

I am just embarking on a frame respray and rebuild of an old GT I just picked up on Fleabay. I am having the frame powder coated in matt black and want to do something with the forks too.

It's easy enough to powder coat the lowers but I thought it might look good to do something a bit different. It struck me that vinyl wrapping might work particularly if I use a random or repetitive design that doesn't need lining up.

However, as I know literally nothing about vinyl wrapping, I don't have any idea if this is doable or cost effective. Anyone had any experience of vinyl wrapping anything to get an idea of cost and feasibility?

BTW - Haopy New Year!

Barrelmaker

Re: Vinyl wrapping forks? Anyone done it?

Postby Barrelmaker » Mon Dec 31, 2012 17:59 pm

Vinyl is cheap as chips and easy on a flat or lightly curved surface, but on a fork with lots of curves and intricacies it will be a pig, then you will also have the seems and it will probably start to peel once some water gets under it.

WindyG

Postby WindyG » Mon Dec 31, 2012 18:44 pm

Hydro graphics might be a better option http://www.diydipkits.com/ it's becoming very common now on hard to do car parts.
Last edited by WindyG on Mon Dec 31, 2012 21:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ritchiehulse

Postby ritchiehulse » Mon Dec 31, 2012 20:10 pm

i think it is doable as i have seen cars that have been fully wrapped even around bumpers, but i wouldnt imagine it would be able to take much of a beating, imagine if you scraped it, than it would look a mess, saying that most have fox stickers on anyways so i say risk it for a biscuit just dont fall off!!!!!

ritchiehulse

Postby ritchiehulse » Mon Dec 31, 2012 20:12 pm

another random option that people are doing on cars is "stickerbombing"

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?hl=en&sa ... x=98&ty=71

just a example but there are loads on google images

nickrh

Postby nickrh » Mon Dec 31, 2012 21:12 pm

ritchiehulse wrote:another random option that people are doing on cars is "stickerbombing"

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?hl=en&sa ... x=98&ty=71

just a example but there are loads on google images

Like the look of this, and with it being a random pattern it hides all of the joins and edges. Just want to make sure it doesn't look bobbins! Otherwise, I could just powder coat them to match the frame. Hmmmm.........

ritchiehulse

Postby ritchiehulse » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:15 am

stickerbomb it! tbf if you dont like the look of it, just rip it off and powdercoast it

sparky.2002

Postby sparky.2002 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 15:09 pm

You can't powder coat lowers without removing the bushings first.The heat will damage the bushings.check sig for wrapped lowers

nickrh

Postby nickrh » Wed Jan 02, 2013 16:30 pm

Yeah, I just found out that I cannot powder coat the forks as the bushings are "non serviceable". Which means an alternative plan.

Having seen the stripped polished bare metal effect, I could live with that. Then just add some decals.

sparky.2002

Postby sparky.2002 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 19:52 pm

Don't do it! The magnesium in the lowers oxidizes in no time leaving them looking crap. That's why I've wrapped them. Considering wrapping the frame now too...

Return to “MTB General”