Cav and Tour de San Luis

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
Richmond Racer

Cav and Tour de San Luis

Postby Richmond Racer » Mon Dec 31, 2012 19:46 pm

Apparently Cav's taking Boonen's place at the Tour de San Luis next month, instead of starting his season in Qatar.

That's a bit hilly for Cav for first race of the year, innit? Read a few days ago that he'd be skipping Oman after Qatar as the Oman parcours is hillier than last year.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cavendi ... e-san-luis

Yellow Peril

Re: Cav and Tour de San Luis

Postby Yellow Peril » Mon Dec 31, 2012 20:25 pm

Richmond Racer wrote:Apparently Cav's taking Boonen's place at the Tour de San Luis next month, instead of starting his season in Qatar.

That's a bit hilly for Cav for first race of the year, innit? Read a few days ago that he'd be skipping Oman after Qatar as the Oman parcours is hillier than last year.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cavendi ... e-san-luis

Maybe he's starting his GT jersey prep early and feels that if he is going to compete with the likes of sagan he's going to have to climb better.

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Mon Dec 31, 2012 20:38 pm

Interesting possibility...

The_Slowboat

Postby The_Slowboat » Mon Dec 31, 2012 22:56 pm

Tour wise you'd think OPQS just won't be allowing Sagan anywhere near the breakaway given the intermediates he hoovered up this year, but going off the tour profile is the risk of elimination in the mountains increased?

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Tue Jan 01, 2013 14:32 pm

I'm gonna put it out there now: although the cycling world seems to have decided that Sagan is the Second Coming (including Sagan himself who claimed in a recent interview that no one can beat him), he has to follow up on 2012. Let's see him back it up.

There's one thing about Cav: since and incl 2008, year on year he produces without fail especially in the Tour.

Yellow Peril

Postby Yellow Peril » Tue Jan 01, 2013 17:20 pm

Richmond Racer wrote:I'm gonna put it out there now: although the cycling world seems to have decided that Sagan is the Second Coming (including Sagan himself who claimed in a recent interview that no one can beat him), he has to follow up on 2012. Let's see him back it up.

There's one thing about Cav: since and incl 2008, year on year he produces without fail especially in the Tour.

Agreed again but I think it is fair to say Sagan climbs a bit better than Cav but I don't think you can beat the Manxman for tenacity.

Paul 8v

Postby Paul 8v » Tue Jan 01, 2013 20:15 pm

Sagan is definitely a better climber but if they both get to the finishing straight at the same time my money would be on Cav

sherer

Postby sherer » Tue Jan 01, 2013 23:16 pm

Richmond Racer wrote:I'm gonna put it out there now: although the cycling world seems to have decided that Sagan is the Second Coming (including Sagan himself who claimed in a recent interview that no one can beat him), he has to follow up on 2012. Let's see him back it up.

Don't forget Sagan has been improving year on year too. Not sure if he can do it but would be interesting to see if he tries to become a Grand Tour winner too. he's got a long way to go but I feel he could do it

prawny

Postby prawny » Wed Jan 02, 2013 08:16 am

Had sagan claimed to be a top tier sprinter? Watching the highlights of the tour on eurosport the other night it was pretty obvious in a flat sprint he couldn't beat the top guys, his points came from gilbert/valverde (spit) type finishes and intermediates

Might have got the wrong end of the stick from previous posts though.
Saracen Dirttrax Disc
Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015
Voodoo Bizango - 2014

Blazing Saddles

Postby Blazing Saddles » Wed Jan 02, 2013 08:34 am

Cav gets season starter San Luis, while Boonan gets his favourite, pan flat Qatar.
Mmmm, I wonder how long it will be before the cracks appear?
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

LeicesterLad

Postby LeicesterLad » Wed Jan 02, 2013 08:40 am

Blazing Saddles wrote:Cav gets season starter San Luis, while Boonan gets his favourite, pan flat Qatar.

Was thinking the same but didn't want to say it. Is this a glimpse as to who's wearing the trousers at OPQS?

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Wed Jan 02, 2013 09:10 am

LeicesterLad wrote:
Blazing Saddles wrote:Cav gets season starter San Luis, while Boonan gets his favourite, pan flat Qatar.

Was thinking the same but didn't want to say it. Is this a glimpse as to who's wearing the trousers at OPQS?

I'm with you both on this one...for me the first sign that Cav wasnt going to get everything on his own terms was OPQS forcing him to drop Ellingworth as his coach - that was never a problem at Highroad...Problem was that if contract negotiations (when stuff like that would have been sorted out) are a game of poker, Cav showed his hand right from the start with his desperation to make the jump, rather than be courted to leave.

Just wait for the shenanigans around MSR and to a lesser extent G-W...

TailWindHome

Postby TailWindHome » Wed Jan 02, 2013 09:26 am

Might be good for Cavendish to start racing a couple of weeks earlier. For whatever reason he was just plain not ready for Milan San Remo last year.

"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED? IS THIS NOT WHY YOU ARE HERE?"

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Wed Jan 02, 2013 09:31 am

Well, we'll see. Cav needs a lot of help at MSR and I cant see Boonen going for most of the team supporting Cav instead.

greasedscotsman

Postby greasedscotsman » Wed Jan 02, 2013 09:37 am

prawny wrote:Had sagan claimed to be a top tier sprinter? Watching the highlights of the tour on eurosport the other night it was pretty obvious in a flat sprint he couldn't beat the top guys, his points came from gilbert/valverde (spit) type finishes and intermediates

Might have got the wrong end of the stick from previous posts though.

Did the highlights not show the stage to Metz?

Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Postby Rick Chasey » Wed Jan 02, 2013 09:55 am

Richmond Racer wrote:Well, we'll see. Cav needs a lot of help at MSR and I cant see Boonen going for most of the team supporting Cav instead.

It's the biggest question in March.

Cav doesn't mind doing hilly courses to get into some shape. Boonen needs early wins.

frenchfighter

Postby frenchfighter » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:28 am

Cav is big enough to say no if he wants. Qatar is a shoot race and very uncomfortable riding in that heat. I'm sure San Luis will be more pleasant plus Cav hasn't ridden it before.

Boonen rode San Luis last year (and won two stages). He also rode Qatar.
Contador is the Greatest

Caller

Postby Caller » Wed Jan 02, 2013 13:04 pm

Does anyone know if the Tour de San Luis will have any Tv coverage in the UK?
I looked on Eurosport's site but couldn't find anything about it.

Blazing Saddles

Postby Blazing Saddles » Wed Jan 02, 2013 13:19 pm

Caller wrote:Does anyone know if the Tour de San Luis will have any Tv coverage in the UK?
I looked on Eurosport's site but couldn't find anything about it.

Nah.
Last year was a step up with a static camera at some of the finishes and one at each end of the ITT. (I seem to recall)
Makes Qatar look like a GT.

I like the Cav "hilly" theory for M-SR.
The Sky docu showed that it was T-A and the first monument that ended their honeymoon period.
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

inkyfingers

Postby inkyfingers » Thu Jan 03, 2013 15:25 pm

I've said it before, but in theory I don't see a need for Cav and Boonen to fall out. Boonen leads at HN/E3/Flanders/Roubaix and Cav leads at KBK/MSR/GW and Le Tour. The only race I can see them disagreeing about seriously is MSR and even Rick reckons Boonen can't win that.

I'm sure they can split all the other smaller races (PN/TA/TdS etc etc) between them.

Cav was clearly overweight in the early part of the 2012 season, even allowing for the fact that the WCs jersey makes everybody look fat. Would be good to see him in top shape earlier in the year this year.
"I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)

Return to “Pro Race”