A9 cycle path / LEJOG

Organising a chain gang? Entering a Sportive/Audax?
Silly Old Hector

Re: A9 cycle path / LEJOG

Postby Silly Old Hector » Sat Sep 15, 2012 09:29 am

Tell us when 8)
All the gear, but no idea...

unixnerd

Postby unixnerd » Sat Sep 29, 2012 09:20 am

The article is in the current copy of the Inverness Courier's magazine supplement Active Outdoors. Scottish Provincial Press have about 15 papers in the North of Scotland. I'll get a scan and post a link for you southerners!

Had a very positive conversation with a guy from Highland Council about getting the path swept every spring. But they only cover the top bit so I need to do the same in Perthshire now.
http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!

teulk

Postby teulk » Sat Sep 29, 2012 16:55 pm

I did LEJOG two years ago and i don't recall it being that bad then, it was a bit rough for sure but not that bad
Boardman Team 09 HT
Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
Specialized Secteur Elite 2011

unixnerd

Postby unixnerd » Sat Sep 29, 2012 18:07 pm

The last few winters were the worst in living memory and they really chewed it up. Plus the extra grit put on the roads has made its way onto a good chunk of the path.

unixnerd

Postby unixnerd » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:45 am

Article from Scottish Provincial Press : http://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/Feat ... 102012.htm

Scottish Parliament has just announced six million budget for cycling, let's hope some of it goes to looking after the path.

bompington

Postby bompington » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:11 am

Well done UN for making the effort on this. The only way anyone with money (i.e. Scottish government, councils etc.) will do anything is if enough people nip their heids for long enough.
Don't know if any of the 6 mill will go very far north:
BBC wrote:Scotland's cycle path network is to get a £6m revamp, which will include improvements to the Land's End to John O'Groats route.

The famous route will be upgraded from Barnton Junction to the Forth Road Bridge.

The money will also be used to create more cycle paths in Glasgow ahead of the Commonwealth Games in 2014.

Routes in Dundee, Kirkcaldy and Edinburgh will also be improved, as will the cycle path along the A90.

Presumably central belters think that Dundee is about as far north as you can go.

Heading up the A9 in the dusk on tues. at about 7pm I noticed a couple of riders, serious looking guys, going quite hard past Dunkeld (I passed what looked like a support team in a layby shortly before). On the road, like you say, as anyone wanting to go fast will be. Sadly I doubt the path will ever get made into something that you could cruise at 12-15 on, never mind 20.

* commuting to the family caravan at Blair - OT, but I just love the lack of synchronisation of school hols in different councils.

arlowood

Postby arlowood » Sun Dec 30, 2012 15:12 pm

Just an update to this relatively old thread.

My son tells me that Scotland Transerve have recently carried out repairs to the A9 Cycle Path between Dalnaspidal and Balsporran Cottages.

Not a huge stretch I admit but I suppose it's a start.

Will ask him to keep me updated if more work is planned or implemented

unixnerd

Postby unixnerd » Sun Dec 30, 2012 15:30 pm

There was a meeting of all stakeholders on the 23rd of November at the path, this was called by Dave Thompson MSP who has been very helpful. Progress was made in identifying who was responsible for what and various parties were asked to produce action plans to improve the path. I'll update you in the new year when I learn more. It seems some progress is being made!

thegreatdivide

Postby thegreatdivide » Wed Jan 02, 2013 13:28 pm

Well done unixnerd! One of the most positive threads I’ve read in a long time.

I don’t suppose you could get them to build a cycle and foot bridge over the A9 at Dunkeld as well ;-)
"Crevaison sur les paves..."

unixnerd

Postby unixnerd » Wed Jan 02, 2013 14:03 pm

They certainly need to do something at Dunkeld as the current setup isn't suitable for road bikes. The signage could be better too. I've only done that section in the dry, I imagine that the offroad section isn't much fun in the wet.

The big problem with that small area is that it's geographically difficult. Had it been designed with a cycle route to start with it would have been much easier. Trying to graft one on is going to be very challenging.

Argyll2471

Postby Argyll2471 » Fri May 31, 2013 11:46 am

I'm cycling LEJOGS mid August. Are there any updates on the condition of the cycle path? Thanks!

unixnerd

Postby unixnerd » Fri May 31, 2013 12:24 pm

I've not been on it yet this year. Highland council had committed to cleaning their section of the path in late spring, so this may have been done but it only affects the section from Drumochter north which isn't that bad anyway.

My MSP organised a visit to the path with most of the stakeholders in late November and requested follow-up action plans from some of them. Last time I contact him about a month ago his office said that an announcement would be made soon but I've not heard anything yet.

If you're doing this on a road bike you'll need at least 25mm fairly puncture proof tyres and I'd lower the pressure to 90ish. There are loads of places to get on/off the path to the A9 if you find it too hard going. Some bits are fine, others leave much to be desired. Your speed will be lower on the path but it's a very scenic ride and highly enjoyable.

If you DO use the A9 you'll want bright front and rear lights plus hi-vis even in daylight. Scariest thing that ever happened to me was a car coming towards me overtaking another and just missing me at very high speed. That said, I'd far rather cycle on this route than the A82 as it's wider and the sight lines are far better. Some of the newer A9 sections have a 2' wide area on the edge where it's much safer to cycle.

By the way, the cafe at Ralia near Newtonmore is right on the NCN7 cycle path and the coffee and cake are excellent. The cycle paths to the north of Dalwhinnie and around Slochd summit are very good and much better than using the A9. The path from Newtonmore to Kingussie is the best I know off and the locals use it to walk, it's a superb example of how paths can connect communities.

Return to “Sportives/Audaxes/Training rides”