Superstar Sentinel XC rims

Discuss the eternal "Which fork/bike/tyres should I buy?" questions.
milko9000

Superstar Sentinel XC rims

Postby milko9000 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 15:33 pm

Hiya. I am pretty much about to buy some Tesla-hubbed Pacenti TL28s from Superstar I think, they seem pretty good from early reports. I guess I could yet be swayed into doing Stans rims instead but it seems like not worth bothering about. HOWEVER. For bike tart reasons I'd really like some orange rims (black hubs). Almost the only ones I've found in stock anywhere that answer to this are Superstar's own Sentinels, which I can find absolutely naff all information about beyond their own catalogue page. Anyone heard anything good/bad/indifferent? I'm scared they'll be too weedy - I'm not a heavy rider but I have been known to land badly on occasion and I'd be happier to be relatively bulletproof in that regard.

The other runner is Spank Tweet Tweet, which aside from the ludicrous name are a fetching shade of anodized orange. But also aimed at dirt jumps, whereas I'll be riding trails and suchlike. Should I care?

The Rookie

Re: Superstar Sentinel XC rims

Postby The Rookie » Wed Jan 02, 2013 16:25 pm

I thuink you'll find the spanks are as heavy as the rock of Gibraltar, not good for an XC bike.....

milko9000

Postby milko9000 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 17:04 pm

This is for my "hardcore hardtail" project so weight isn't an absolute concern... on the other hand it sort of is, as I'm trying to make it plenty lighter than my other bike that I've built quite burly. Does give away about 200g per rim to the Pacenti or Sentinels. Thanks!

lawman

Postby lawman » Wed Jan 02, 2013 17:54 pm

I'd bet they're reasonably tough, but the pacentis are wider and probably just as tough. The sentinels are pretty new so that's why there's no info on them, they do look very good value though. If you really want the colour, go superstar, if you're not bothered, then on paper atleast IMO the pacentis edge it due to the extra width

milko9000

Postby milko9000 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 17:59 pm

Cheers. Hmm, decisions. You know, I even briefly bodged some photoshop work to see if black worked and it pretty much does. The width looks to be 2mm wider on the Pacenti (internal at least), does that make such a difference?

Return to “MTB Buying Advice”