Hoy wants to cash in

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
frenchfighter

Hoy wants to cash in

Postby frenchfighter » Thu Jan 03, 2013 09:53 am

and so has launched a range of bikes 'Hoy' at Evans.

I believe this is oldish news but have not seen it before.
Contador is the Greatest

inkyfingers

Re: Hoy wants to cash in

Postby inkyfingers » Thu Jan 03, 2013 15:13 pm

I don't see the problem, one final pay day for the guy.

I'd rather see him selling bikes that Bran Flakes.
"I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)

Le Commentateur

Postby Le Commentateur » Thu Jan 03, 2013 15:47 pm

Anyone else? How long before leading forum members cash in too?

iainf72

Postby iainf72 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 15:57 pm

Look out for my range of bad tempered pies, coming soon.

And my new breakfast product called "2012 Tour De France" - It's basically just porridge oats with nothing added. Yes, it's bland and not very exciting, but it's effective.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

SpecialGuestStar

Postby SpecialGuestStar » Thu Jan 03, 2013 16:01 pm

iainf72 wrote:Look out for my range of bad tempered pies, coming soon.

And my new breakfast product called "2012 Tour De France" - It's basically just porridge oats with nothing added. Yes, it's bland and not very exciting, but it's effective.

is that the one with the instructions just stir in a cupful of tepid water

greasedscotsman

Postby greasedscotsman » Thu Jan 03, 2013 16:02 pm

Greasedscotsman handbags will be coming to shop near you soon...

inkyfingers

Postby inkyfingers » Thu Jan 03, 2013 16:06 pm

A new range of special "Inky" branded jerseys will use Pollock-esque paint spattered designs to help break up the outline of those riders who are yet to lose their winter weight.
"I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Thu Jan 03, 2013 16:38 pm

inkyfingers wrote:A new range of special "Inky" branded jerseys will use Pollock-esque paint spattered designs to help break up the outline of those riders who are yet to lose their winter weight.

Want one.

TailWindHome

Postby TailWindHome » Thu Jan 03, 2013 16:40 pm

Sensory Deprivations Tanks - for those who ignore the blindingly obvious..
"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED? IS THIS NOT WHY YOU ARE HERE?"

frenchfighter

Postby frenchfighter » Thu Jan 03, 2013 17:04 pm

Unfortunately it is the brain that cant be blamed. There is one huge experiment where they took 284 news pundits in the US and asked them all sorts of predictions (82000 in all). There were 3 choices.

Out of those 82k, less than a third were right.

So a random generator would have been better.

The reason for the lack of performance was the fact the brain saw all info but only processed what it wanted to in these people which conformed to their preconceived notions/opinions. Like a Confidence Bias http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overconfidence_effect

They have shown how hard it is to change the minds of people who are ardent leftists or ardent rightists.

There are experiments like taking a selection of both, showing them the same info and asking them to rate it 1-4 on how bad they perceived it to be. The info was related to Presidents saying something but doing something completely different (Bush saying he will be backing Iraq veterans but on the same day reducing the support paid to them). The Leftists gave their guy much lower scores and vice versa.

It is actually quite sobering how much of our character and choices are unchangeable. If you know anything about the brain you are a complete and utter idiot to do drugs.

eg/.
Interestingly, two recent neuroimaging studies have confirmed that amygdala dysfunction is associated with psychopathy
http://bjp.rcpsych.org/content/182/1/5.full

eg/.
Dopamine inbalance is what leads to schizophrenia (too much) and alzheimer's (too little)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dopamine#L ... _psychosis
Dopamine drugs are given to those suffering alzheimers but it can make them compulsive gamblers
http://www.healthy.net/Health_News/Mira ... ion/8239/3
Last edited by frenchfighter on Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
Contador is the Greatest

Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Postby Rick Chasey » Thu Jan 03, 2013 17:47 pm

Extra small red trousers.

ermintrude

Postby ermintrude » Thu Jan 03, 2013 18:21 pm

That's SIR Hoy to you ff, you know, just like Sir Wiggins

RichN95

Postby RichN95 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 18:24 pm

It looks like Biking Bernie has hacked Frenchie's account.
Twitter: @RichN95

nic_77

Postby nic_77 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 18:32 pm

ermintrude wrote:That's SIR Hoy to you ff, you know, just like Sir Wiggins

Well, technically that would be Sir Chris and Sir Bradley....

nweststeyn

Postby nweststeyn » Thu Jan 03, 2013 19:06 pm

wtf happened up there? ^

Has frenchie finally cracked?

TailWindHome

Postby TailWindHome » Thu Jan 03, 2013 19:40 pm

You see a lot, Frenchie. But are you strong enough to point that high-powered perception at yourself? What about it? Why don't you - why don't you look at yourself and write down what you see? Or maybe you're afraid to.

:wink: :lol:
"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED? IS THIS NOT WHY YOU ARE HERE?"

Richrd2205

Postby Richrd2205 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 20:36 pm

frenchfighter wrote:Unfortunately it is the brain that cant be blamed. There is one huge experiment where they took 284 new pundits in the US and asked them all sorts of predictions (82000 in all). There were 3 choices.

Out of those 82k, less than a third were right.

So a random generator would have been better.

The reason for the lack of performance was the fact the brain saw all info but only processed what it wanted to in thee people which conformed to their preconceived notions/opinions. Like a Confidence Bias http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overconfidence_effect

They have shown how hard it is to change the minds of people who are ardent leftists or ardent rightists.

There are experiments like taking a selection of both, showing them the same info and asking them to rate it 1-4 on how bad they perceived it to be. The info was related to Presidents saying something but doing something completely different (Bush saying he will be backing Iraq veterans but on the same day reducing the support paid to them). The Leftists gave their guy much lower scores and vice versa.

It is actually quite sobering how much of our character and choices are unchangeable. If you know anything about the brain you are a complete and utter idiot to do drugs.

eg/.
Interestingly, two recent neuroimaging studies have confirmed that amygdala dysfunction is associated with psychopathy
http://bjp.rcpsych.org/content/182/1/5.full

eg/.
Dopamine inbalance is what leads to schizophrenia (too much) and alzheimer's (too little)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dopamine#L ... _psychosis
Dopamine drugs are given to those suffering alzheimers but it can make them compulsive gamblers
http://www.healthy.net/Health_News/Mira ... ion/8239/3

Oh my, what have you been reading?
I'm not sure where this came from, but I had to pick you up on a couple of bits... & trying not to get too far off topic...
You're first study is covered in immense detail by Kahneman. Read this, but it's a wee bit more complex & lots more interesting than you suggest.

It's somewhere between tremendously difficult & fantastically easy to change minds: it depends how you do it. The studies you quote are covered, again, by Kahneman & your inference isn't all that accurate. Pick the right technique & you can change almost anyone's mind on anything: it's actually scary how weakly we hold beliefs... Milgram & Stanford are pretty useful start points, but there's loads more. I can send details if you like...

WRT to associating a bit of the brain with psychopathy: you know that most neuroimaging uses fMRI & you know about salmon, or was it trout? It's a science in its infancy. There are fascinating outcomes, but don't put too much weight on them! You, of course, know that post hoc ergo propter hoc is an oft used piece of reasoning here too....

The dopamine hypothesis for psychosis is, at best, a bit wobbly, so best not to quote it as fact.

I haven't seen the final study, but the title causes me to be slightly concerned.

That's all for now. & I still haven't worked out how this relates to Hoy...
Still prob best to PM if you want further stuff on these studies: I haven't found the psychology section of Pro Race yet...

Heavymental

Postby Heavymental » Thu Jan 03, 2013 20:47 pm

TailWindHome wrote:You see a lot, Frenchie. But are you strong enough to point that high-powered perception at yourself? What about it? Why don't you - why don't you look at yourself and write down what you see? Or maybe you're afraid to.

:wink: :lol:

Do you know what a roller pigeon is, TailWindHome? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can't breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Frenchie is a deep roller, TailWindHome. We should hope one of his parents was not.

Macaloon

Postby Macaloon » Thu Jan 03, 2013 21:28 pm

nweststeyn wrote:wtf happened up there? ^

Has frenchie finally cracked?

Dibs on Frenchie's stash if he starts posting self-portraits on here.

Macaloon

Postby Macaloon » Thu Jan 03, 2013 21:47 pm

Richrd2205 wrote: I haven't found the psychology section of Pro Race yet...

If you can't see the psychology experiment subject in any forum, it's you. We're all here to help. Don't worry. :P
...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.

Return to “Pro Race”