Campag Compatibility Question

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
hugo15

Campag Compatibility Question

Postby hugo15 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 08:17 am

Just noticed I have a hairline crack in the non-drive side crank on my winter bike :(

Currently it's a Campag Centaur 9 speed triple chainset with Centaur shifters and Daytona front mech. I've got a spare Veloce double chainset that I could stick on. Would I also need to change the front shifter and front mech to a double compatible (I do have these bits too) or will I get away with just using the triple shifters and front mech?

Other thing I thought about was just changing the non-drive side crank. Only snag I can see is that the triple is 170 and the double is 172.5. Would I really notice 2.5mm difference in the non drive side crank vs drive side one or is this a fast route to injury?

infopete

Re: Campag Compatibility Question

Postby infopete » Thu Jan 03, 2013 08:43 am

I suspect your legs are not the same length :)

And the chance of you noticing 2.5mm is slim.

infopete

Postby infopete » Thu Jan 03, 2013 09:13 am

Oooops, while I was picturing cyclists with odd length legs walking in circles I forgot to say...

Yes, you can fit a double on a triple bottom bracket just as I have on my winter bike. You will probably need to adjust the stops on the front mech so the chain doesn't come off when you're changing up or down on the chainset.

You won't have to change the front mech or shifter.

SheffSimon

Postby SheffSimon » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:41 am

Or just get a cheap alloy crank in the right length from t'internet....

hugo15

Postby hugo15 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:11 pm

SheffSimon wrote:Or just get a cheap alloy crank in the right length from t'internet....

I was hoping not to spend more money. I've got a new winter bike arriving in the next few weeks :D

Yossie

Postby Yossie » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:21 pm

Personally I'd keep on using it: just keep an eye on it for the time being: chances are it won't expand into anything bigger, if it does then ridd it until it gets really serious then smash it with a hammer, throw it into next door's garden and replace with Super Record.

Non drive side means no pressure on it as compared to drive side and nothing attached onto it, so no worries really.

Otherwise just stick any old crank arm on it (you won't feel any difference in 2.5mm). But I would go for the first option as I'm skint and tired.
This is only a joke by the way, I am in no way implying directly or otherwise that there is any kind of link or similarity between BR and North Korea :)

keef66

Postby keef66 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 16:02 pm

Son's rescued Peugeot has a Veloce square taper crank / spider on the drive side and something rather agricultural on the non drive side. Never occurred to me to measure the length of either. He's still faster than me!

Monty Dog

Postby Monty Dog » Thu Jan 03, 2013 16:39 pm

I've ridden a bike with 165/170 cranks for a couple of weeks whilst I was waiting for a replacement - to be honest I barely noticed.
As the crack is from the root of the square taper, it may fail suddenly meaning a long walk home...I'd fit the Veloce for piece of mind and expect you'd barely notice the difference.
Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..

hugo15

Postby hugo15 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 20:40 pm

Monty Dog wrote:As the crack is from the root of the square taper, it may fail suddenly meaning a long walk home...

Now I've noticed the crack it's pretty much guaranteed to fail at the further point away from home.

Return to “Workshop”