Creakings, clickings, tickings, clankings and knockings.

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
jeffw0502

Re: Creakings, clickings, tickings, clankings and knockings.

Postby jeffw0502 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 01:26 am

Further up the thread someone had the same problem, grease the seatpost as well

meursault

Postby meursault » Sat Oct 20, 2012 19:00 pm

meursault wrote:
jerichokb wrote:
meursault wrote:I have Boardman Team (non carbon), and a click when pedaling from (I think) the bottom bracket. Which BB and crank tool do I need to dis-assemble and clean up? Sram rival groupset.

I had a similar issue, thought it was the bottom bracket - but all that was needed was actually just to grease the pedal threads. Problem solved - for a lot less hassle than removing and re-installing the bottom bracket.

Nice one, I will give this a go, could well be the issue. If not it's something eliminated from my enquires :)

Did a 50k ride last Thursday and commutes last two days click gone!

I removed my Shimano r540's thorough clean and applied some wet lube (had no grease). Appears to have solved it for now. Note taken on seatpost as well thanks for all help.
Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire

jjtstamper

Postby jjtstamper » Mon Oct 29, 2012 21:56 pm

When I am on the big chainring my bike is making a loud creaking sound everytime I pedal, it seems to be when I am pushing down on the right pedal. The noise sounds as if it is coming from the bottom bracket area. I am a beginner and have no idea what this could be.

Does anyone have any ideas/any experience of anything similar to this?

Thanks

meursault

Postby meursault » Tue Oct 30, 2012 17:42 pm

jjtstamper wrote:When I am on the big chainring my bike is making a loud creaking sound everytime I pedal, it seems to be when I am pushing down on the right pedal. The noise sounds as if it is coming from the bottom bracket area. I am a beginner and have no idea what this could be.

Does anyone have any ideas/any experience of anything similar to this?

Thanks

I would definetly do the same as I did with the pedals above. Clean and lube.

It's a process of elimantion.
Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire

Bunneh

Postby Bunneh » Wed Oct 31, 2012 18:20 pm

I suspect my bottom bracket is on its way out. I ride a lot from Bolton to Crewe and last few times the left side of my cranks were creaking terribly. I took the pedals off, the seatpost out, checked the tightness of the cranks, regreased the bolts that fasten the left arm to the chainset (Hollowtech). I regreased everything and it didn't go, it still creaks. So whilst the bike was upside down I moved the cranks left and right to the frame, no movement. Then I moved the left crank arm in the direction it would go if I was pedalling, very slight 'movement' almost a grating feeling before the cranks started to move the backwheel. I tried this on both side, same thing so I am sure it's the bottom bracket.

Before I order a new one does anyone have any suggestions? Thank yee.

rnath

Re:

Postby rnath » Sun Nov 04, 2012 17:33 pm

willhub wrote:I got the clicking sorted on friday, guy at the shop took the handlebars off and cleaned around the headset, it stopped the clicking, THEN yesterday on a clubrun it started again, was so annoying, the other guys said they could hear it, sounded like my bike was going to fall apart, was really bad now doing it whilst I was sitting down too and my gears need re aligning too as they are making a racket, the bent from mech dont help too :(

Had a click from my front end after dismantling to clean and regrease which I couldn't figure out for weeks. Rebuilt everything several times before finally sorting out by tightening carbon steerer bung and adding spacer above stem. Not sure which did the job, but could be worth trying?

Nomadski

Postby Nomadski » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:06 pm

I bought a Cannondale Synapse 105 Alloy 5 in the summer, and after 80 miles or so on it my pedal was screwed up inside the Gossamer FSA drive side crank.

So went to Evans Cycles and ordered a new crankset, this time their Shimano 105, which they fitted, along with a BB30 Shimano adapter bought off the net for about £25, and a new set of pedals (standard flat ones).

Went for my first ride, about 6 miles in got some creaking noises from when I pedalled drive side.

So took into Evans, few days later got a call to pick up, rode about 2 miles and creaks started again.

Took back, picked up a second time, got home no creak! Went for a ride day later and about 5 miles in creaks came back.

Back to Evans who rang yesterday for pick up, and within 2 miles of leaving, got creaking.

Now the guy on the phone from Evans saying they havent got a clue what is causing the creak, and not a lot they can do about it?!!?

So I have a bike which is meant to be decent, which creaks and groans like my gran and I have absolutely no idea what to do about it.

Only creaks when I pedal, doesn't when I lift bike and spin crank. Seems to happen on drive side rather than other side.

Any advice?

EDIT: Did a youtube video of it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhQmrwu12VA

procycling100

Postby procycling100 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 15:07 pm

Does anybody get creaking occasionally from the shimano hollow tec 2 BB?? it tends to come and go depending on how it feels...

nolight

Postby nolight » Sun Dec 23, 2012 07:59 am

Hi, recently I start to get some clicking sound which gets worse when I use my front brake. Anyone has experience what would be the cause?

When bicycle is moving forward, the clicking sound is not as significant, and sometimes may not even hear it:
click.....delay....click.....delay.....click

When squeezing the front brake especially from high speed, it becomes louder and is more significant when braking from higher speed:
click,click,click,click,click

I tried braking with rear brake and don't get this sound. Also comparing wheel tru seems like front and rear wheel are comparable.

Could it be the front wheel hub? brake itself?

MisterMuncher

Postby MisterMuncher » Fri Jan 04, 2013 00:35 am

If you have disc brakes, could be knackered pads and the spring clip knocking on the disc. At least, that was what it was for me...

Dereko

Postby Dereko » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:06 pm

I had a creak kind of click any time the left crank got to roughly the 7 o'clock position
Drove me crackers and I couldn't find any info on what it could actually be
The usual "bottom bracket, bearing, chain" suggestions were there
It turned out however to be a loose rear derailleur hanger and a bit of alloy surface corrosion on the spd pedal flange where it makes contact with the crank arm
A quick clean and tighten and it's back to silent running !! :lol:
Hope this helps someone !

bymcbiker

Postby bymcbiker » Thu Jan 31, 2013 09:55 am

I run a DA 7900 groupset on my bike(abt 1.5 yrs old) and recently I've been experiencing a weird gear slip sensation while riding. It's hard to describe the sound/feeling but I'll do my best.

It feels like the chain is slipping but not quite, kinda like what happens when you stop the bike mid-shift and as you start to pedal off again the gear sorta clunks/crunches a few times, except this is a single clunk. Its like the chain got caught on something for a split second and as I pedal it straightens out and clicks. I cannot reliably replicate the sound and there is no specific time this happens, I have had it happen while lightly spinning as well as while out of the saddle. What I can say is it happens approximately once every 10mins or so. It is not load related cos I don't seem to experience it more or at all while sprinting or doing any hard out of saddle work. I would also like to clarify that the chain is not actually jumping or skipping, it just sounds like that. I'm also pretty sure it's not a gear tuning issue, I'm pretty obsessive with keeping my drivetrain tuned and I've been doing it for years, I'd know pretty quickly if it was some sort of tuning issue.

Timeline and thing's i've tried:
This started after I replaced my chain last month. I was previously using the KMC x10SL, and I bought a shimano DA7901 chain to replace it(KMCs were out of stock for a month or so at my LBS). During the second ride on the new chain, this slip/clunk issue started. I checked, the chain was installed facing the correct side. I tried swapping back to the old chain(which didn't have that issue) and it still happened. I checked and rechecked all my derailleur alignments, made sure the hanger was tight and the crank was properly bolted in, nothing was out of the ordinary. The mechanic at my lbs couldn't figure out what's causing it either and suggested I bought a new cassette cos mine was pretty worn. I figured it was worth a shot as my DA cassette had about 15,000+km on it. I bought an Ultegra cassette to save some money and after installing it the problem still persists.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, this issue is driving me nuts!

Cheers

ricky1980

Postby ricky1980 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 13:02 pm

I was going to say chain wear as well as cassette/chain ring wear. you have replaced the chain and cassette, have you checked the chainrings on the chainset?

one of your rings will be more worn than other, so try to change the gear at the front to the less worn ring and ride a bit see if it still happens. if not the RD must be at fault.
Road - Cannondale CAAD 8 - 7.8kg
Road - Chinese Carbon Diablo - 6.4kg

Bwgan

Postby Bwgan » Tue Feb 19, 2013 22:14 pm

Got a horrible creaking/clicking coming from the shifters. If I ride holding the bars it's ok, as soon as I grab the shifter it starts. Tightened everything up today and its even worse. Think ther are Tiagra or Sora 9 speed,it's my mates bike

Catton11

Postby Catton11 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:26 pm

Have an annoying vibrating / resonating sound coming from what seems to be the front forks on my Cube GTC Pro. This occurs mainly when riding over rough tarmac. My dealer has checked and adjusted the hub bearings and this seemed to help at first, however the noise has returned so I'm beginning to rule the bearings out. Strangely enough the noise seemd to get worse when I checked (and increased) my tyre pressures last week. Any ideas please?

Heavymental

Postby Heavymental » Sun Feb 24, 2013 13:06 pm

Have you tried holding the bike by the bars, bouncing the bike on it's front tyre and listening to see where exactly it is coming from (if it triggers the noise...)?

Catton11

Postby Catton11 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 17:26 pm

Hi Heavymetal. Yep tried that which led me, after some considerable time, to the problem. Couldn't believe the noise was coming from my cateye 'rattling' in the bracket. Cured with smallest piece of foam, aaaaaargh.

Scotty4

Postby Scotty4 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 13:08 pm

Hi All, Last week I noticed a constant ticking on the back wheel when riding and it being louder when out of the saddle and climbing. It wouldn't happen when just spinning the wheel off the bike and I think it's to do with the Cosmic carbone areo fairing coming away from the rim. I've taken a video to help show this. Does anyone know if this is just a glue job back on the rim or worse. Bike is a Scott Foil 20, less than a year old.
http://vine.co/v/bXMh6tzhlZr
Any advice greatly received
Cheers
Scott

pkripper

Postby pkripper » Thu Feb 28, 2013 14:54 pm

nolight wrote:Hi, recently I start to get some clicking sound which gets worse when I use my front brake. Anyone has experience what would be the cause?

When bicycle is moving forward, the clicking sound is not as significant, and sometimes may not even hear it:
click.....delay....click.....delay.....click

When squeezing the front brake especially from high speed, it becomes louder and is more significant when braking from higher speed:
click,click,click,click,click

I tried braking with rear brake and don't get this sound. Also comparing wheel tru seems like front and rear wheel are comparable.

Could it be the front wheel hub? brake itself?

If you haven't resolved this.yet, its a slightly raised join in the rim. A bit of.emery paper to smooth the join will solve it.

K13LCC

Postby K13LCC » Mon Mar 11, 2013 14:15 pm

Hi all

My first post here! Looking for a bit of a advice.

This morning in my lowest gear (small front/large rear) I noticed what sounded like something rubbing on a few spokes as the wheel was spinning.

I've had a look at my bike and all looks okay. I span the cranks in that gear and there was no noise at all.

I've indexed the gears just in case so all running nice and smooth now.

Could it be the wheel is slightly out of true and the cage is touching a few spokes on the way round? Or is it likely that my hanger is bent and pushing it into the wheel?

I took a picture if anyone thinks it'd be beneficial to see?!

Thanks in advance :)

Return to “Workshop”