Scott CR1 Pro vs Giant Defy Advanced 1 vs Ridley Noah RS

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
bobbydazzla

Scott CR1 Pro vs Giant Defy Advanced 1 vs Ridley Noah RS

Postby bobbydazzla » Sun Jan 06, 2013 14:55 pm

So I've done loads of research and after much deliberation have decided to buy from a LBS rather than going for an online manufacturer (Canyon / Rose).

I want something for 60-100 mile hilly sportive riding and currently the best options seem to be:

2012 Scott CR1 Pro with Ksyrium Elite and Ultegra - £1750
2012 Giant Defy Advanced 1 with Ksyrium Elite and Ultegra - £2100
2013 Ridley Noah RS with Fulcrum racing 4 and Ultegra - £2200

I've tested all 3 bikes for about 30 mins each and they all ride well - I pushed them up steepish hills and also did some flat out sprinting. They were all comfortable but difficult to predict what they'd be like after 4hrs in the saddle.

The Noah is a real eye catcher but also the most expensive and at the top of my budget.
The Scott is significantly cheaper but looks pretty ordinary.
The Giant felt like a solid performer but a bit dull given the money it costs.

I'm really struggling to make a decision. Would anybody who has one of the above like to give me the benefit of their experience as an owner ?

letap73

Re: Scott CR1 Pro vs Giant Defy Advanced 1 vs Ridley Noah RS

Postby letap73 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 15:20 pm

It looks like you prefer the Ridley, go for that and try to negotiate for a discount or extras. I actually have the Giant Defy Advanced which as you say is a solid performer - excellent for long rides, the relaxed geometry really helps and compares well with the supersix evo which I have ridden over the last few days. Anyway, I don't think my opinion really helps. If you really can't decide see if you can try out other bikes: Specialized,Trek, Cannondale etc (if available of course).

smidsy

Postby smidsy » Sun Jan 06, 2013 17:44 pm

You've ridden a SS evo - you swine, how was it, did you buy it?
Yellow is the new Black.

Wobblehead

Postby Wobblehead » Sun Jan 06, 2013 19:35 pm

Not an owner of the above, however,my two penneth is that the Ridley is not what you need for hilly sportives, more an aero bike,I was in the same boat as you and liked the look of the Ridley, was a previous Ridley owner but then thought about what I wanted it for and decided against it. Good price though.

That said, don't let me stop you, It's all about what you are happy on

bobbydazzla

Postby bobbydazzla » Sun Jan 06, 2013 20:21 pm

I had a similar concern over the Ridley being aero not sportive but the guy in that shop said not to worry. I know him quite well and he's very good mates with a number of my close friends (hence the big discount) so I don't think he'd bullshit me just to try and get a sale.

I'm still erring towards the safer option and going for a more relaxed bike though.

The Ridley is exciting, but I'm also apprehensive about the aero factor and it's more than I want to spend so I'd be reluctant to tinker with any components for a while.

The Giant just seems a bit too pricey when compared to the other two.

The Scott is well under budget and it's a safe bet, but it also seems like it lacks a bit of spark.

I took far less time when buying my house and car !

Wobblehead

Postby Wobblehead » Sun Jan 06, 2013 20:45 pm

If you can ride one bike over hills for 100 miles, within reason, you will be Ok riding another, but whether it is the best bike for the job in hand that's a different matter. Do you see pro's riding Noah's over the mountains or will they be on Heliums??

That said whether having the best bike for the job in hand makes such a difference to amateurs (big presumption on my part) that's another matter (at my level anyway).

If the Ridley excites you then buy it, whatever bike makes you want to go out and ride with a smile on your face is a good bike for you. Surely you will be doing more than riding hilly sportives on it?

sporttourer

Postby sporttourer » Sun Jan 06, 2013 21:22 pm

You can get a Giant defy Advanced 2 2012 with full ultegra for a tad over £1700. Comes with stock Giant wheels which are apparently pretty good anyway for starters & that leaves you £400 to upgrade the wheels over the £2100 you can get the Advanced 1 for! Not sure what other bits you get on the Advanced 1 though as the 2012 Advanced 2 has full ultegra apart from BB which is dura ace.

Return to “Road Buying Advice”