Surgery stops play

Got a general MTB question that doesn't fit anywhere else? Here's the place.
welsh_14

Re: Surgery stops play

Postby welsh_14 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 17:53 pm

Man i'm sorry to hear about your neck! I hope all goes well with your recovery.

I'm pleased that at least I know that I will be able to do everything I did before and hopefully more! Mine wasn't as life changing as yours could be, but I really hope you get sorted out and back to everything you love.

I agree that sitting watching TV and internet browsing does start getting boring after a while. I'm hoping to be back at work soon though!

I have spent the time planning the things I'm going to do once I am fully fit. I haven't been fully fit for years so getting there and keeping it is something I'm looking forward to. I know what you mean about people thinking you are crazy, but you would regret not trying these things if you didn't. If you didn't get out on the bike how would you know if you ever could again. I suppose the nature of the sport we all enjoy means that we are the type of people who look at the dangers and still take the risks. Being outdoors and mtbing, running, walking, playing rugby etc is when I feel most content and happy. If there are increased risks then that just adds to the fun!!

Anyway enough of my ramblings and I hope your rehab goes well and keep us updated with how you get on.

welsh_14

Postby welsh_14 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:27 am

Well I have just been to see my surgeon today and he brings could news of a sort...

I am finally allowed off my crutches after 7 weeks, feels very, very strange trying to walk without them :lol:

I have been allowed to go back to work and drive, but the bikes are still a big no no. He seems happy with how the operation went and the pictures looked very cool. Not everyday you get to see the inside of your hip!

He says I have a good few months of rehab to go and that it will be painful but at least I can now see the light at the end of the tunnel. See my physio tomorrow to see where we go from here.

The only downer was that he did some rudimentary tests on my other hip and has slight concerns that this one is starting to show signs of the same problem. Hopefully if it is it will last me a couple of years before going through it all again!

Ordered some new wheels in preparation for being able to ride again which I am hoping will be sometime in January or at the most February.

Anyway hope you other guys are also getting sorted and keep us updated with your progress.

welsh_14

Postby welsh_14 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 16:37 pm

Well just an update on my rehab. After over 3 months of physio I finally got out on my bike today. It was just a run up the coast on the gravel cycle paths and road. Lets just say it didn't go well! :( Hip gave up and back to being in agony and hardly able to walk.
Pretty annoyed with the physio as I specifically asked whether I was ok to go out on this type of ride and she said it would be perfectly fine and there would be no pain (she used the word would and not should...) she has also now discharged me saying it is fine. Well safe to say I will be going back to the doctors and asking for a new physio, I'm also thinking of going to a private physio instead.

Anyway enough moaning, but lets just say it has got me pretty down hearted about it all! Just want to be able to ride again!!!!

kingrollo

Postby kingrollo » Sun Jan 06, 2013 22:35 pm

Gutted for you mate. Seems you have done everything asked of you - but a set back - hopefully a minor one.

Ive made progress (of sorts) all the scans came back clear for my hips. But they reckon (well know) I have a hernia - currently on a waiting list for surgery - hopeful by the end of feb. Rehab is only 6 weeks if all goes well.

It may be after that lay off that things have 'stiffened' up a bit - maybe pilates, or flexibility will help ? - could you try a turbo trainer next time ?

welsh_14

Postby welsh_14 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 09:18 am

I guess that is progress and hopefully a hernia is easier to fix? although I've never had one so wouldnt know! At least you now know what the problem is though which is always a good thing.

I have been on the exercise bike before this which has been causing a little pain but nothing close to what happened on Saturday. Going back to the docs to see if they can shed any light on it. Then may look at a private physio to do the job properly!

kingrollo

Postby kingrollo » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:41 pm

Any more updates - Im hoping youve been to busy cycling to reply.

I have my hernia op monday - hopefully I can move forward after this.

welsh_14

Postby welsh_14 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 13:08 pm

Unfortunately I havent been out since the run up the coast.
I have been referred back to the surgeon to have a look at because I'm starting to lose the movement in it again so I see him on tuesday and go from there!

Good luck with the op on Monday. hope it goes well for you!

kingrollo

Postby kingrollo » Mon Feb 11, 2013 17:19 pm

welsh_14 wrote:Unfortunately I havent been out since the run up the coast.
I have been referred back to the surgeon to have a look at because I'm starting to lose the movement in it again so I see him on tuesday and go from there!

Good luck with the op on Monday. hope it goes well for you!

I feel for you mate - hope they get you sorted soon !

Had my hernia op today - not in as much pain as I thought - keep posting updates

welsh_14

Postby welsh_14 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 17:42 pm

How are you feeling after your op then? How long are you out for? Fingers crossed for you that it solves your problems!

I've seen the consultant today, back to being banned from riding for another 2 months. He doesn't think I have done any permanent damage (thank god) but wants to see me in 2 months and if the pain is gone then happy days, if not we have to look at other options! So looks like it is back to swimming for me :roll:

kingrollo

Postby kingrollo » Tue Feb 12, 2013 19:52 pm

welsh_14 wrote:How are you feeling after your op then? How long are you out for? Fingers crossed for you that it solves your problems!

I've seen the consultant today, back to being banned from riding for another 2 months. He doesn't think I have done any permanent damage (thank god) but wants to see me in 2 months and if the pain is gone then happy days, if not we have to look at other options! So looks like it is back to swimming for me :roll:

Bit painfully today. I am ok as long as I don't move ! - getting up, standing up , is a bit of challenge. 2 months should take you nicely into may ! best time for it.

If this doesn't work for me, I am going to get a recumbent bike.

welsh_14

Postby welsh_14 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:43 am

Well good luck to you with your recovery!

Think I might join you with a recumbent, wonder what they are like off road.....

kingrollo

Postby kingrollo » Wed Feb 13, 2013 18:09 pm

Slightly easier today .......

I researched recumbent s last year - there's a lot of misconceptions about them, they are too low, don't go up hills, etc - basically there a lot people out there having loads of fun on recumbent's

Return to “MTB General”