Upgrading my PC

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
User avatar
DonDaddyD
Posts: 12032
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:58 pm

Upgrading my PC

Postby DonDaddyD » Mon Jan 07, 2013 14:40 pm

I have a 32bit version of Windows 7.
I want a 64bit operating system and would be willing to upgrade to either Win 7 or 8 64bit.

Can I use this or is it just a Windows 8 overlay installed ontop of 7 so if I have the 32bit I'll be stuck with that. Is the only way to fully upgrade to a 64bit operaing system to go for the full version?

Thanks in advance, and happy new year.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

User avatar
Daddy0
Posts: 591
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 16:02 pm

Re: Upgrading my PC

Postby Daddy0 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 14:50 pm

Google is your friend :-)
http://www.zdnet.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-windows-8-upgrades-faq-part-2-7000008775/

If I were you I'd get the DVDs and boot off of the 64 bit one and do a fresh install. Should avoid any complications. Backup all your files to another hard disk first of course.

SteppenHerring
Posts: 694
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 19:49 pm

Re: Upgrading my PC

Postby SteppenHerring » Mon Jan 07, 2013 15:03 pm

1. Is your hardware actually 64bit?
2. Don't use Windows 8
3. Don't try to upgrade 32 to 64. As D0 says, back it all up (which you do anyway, right?) and reinstall from scratch. Then if you do have incompatible hardware or summat goes wrong you can revert
4. Don't use Windows 8
5. Actually Windows 8 might suit you
mroli wrote:(Michel) Roux has the scary eyes of an inner Begbie...

User avatar
DonDaddyD
Posts: 12032
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:58 pm

Re: Upgrading my PC

Postby DonDaddyD » Mon Jan 07, 2013 15:23 pm

What's wrong with Windows 8?

I have a:
Phenom x2 965 (3.4 or so GHZ)
AMD radeon HD 6750
Either 16 or 32gb ram I forget (only 4 is available under the 32bit operating system)
1tb hard disc.

Its stupid that I have 32bits. But moving from XP was a huge step for me and I'm still not convinced Win 7 is better.

I
Food Chain number = 4



A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

User avatar
Kieran_Burns
Posts: 9834
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 13:14 pm

Re: Upgrading my PC

Postby Kieran_Burns » Mon Jan 07, 2013 15:27 pm

DonDaddyD wrote:What's wrong with Windows 8?

I have a:
Phenom x2 965 (3.4 or so GHZ)
AMD radeon HD 6750
Either 16 or 32gb ram I forget (only 4 is available under the 32bit operating system)
1tb hard disc.

Its stupid that I have 32bits. But moving from XP was a huge step for me and I'm still not convinced Win 7 is better.

I


Wafurgle...... :shock:

Windows 7 64-bit is fine, just do it. Clean install and you'll be well away.

Don't do Windows 8.

16Gb? Really? 8 maybe... I doubt 16 or 32 on any home pc
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

User avatar
DonDaddyD
Posts: 12032
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:58 pm

Re: Upgrading my PC

Postby DonDaddyD » Mon Jan 07, 2013 15:46 pm

Kieran_Burns wrote:
DonDaddyD wrote:What's wrong with Windows 8?

I have a:
Phenom x2 965 (3.4 or so GHZ)
AMD radeon HD 6750
Either 16 or 32gb ram I forget (only 4 is available under the 32bit operating system)
1tb hard disc.

Its stupid that I have 32bits. But moving from XP was a huge step for me and I'm still not convinced Win 7 is better.

I


Wafurgle...... :shock:

Windows 7 64-bit is fine, just do it. Clean install and you'll be well away.

Don't do Windows 8.

16Gb? Really? 8 maybe... I doubt 16 or 32 on any home pc

Yep, 16gb, I bought 2 lots of these - I built the PC myself. T'was my Online gaming rig before the kid was born.
Food Chain number = 4



A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

User avatar
dhope
Posts: 6131
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 16:15 pm

Re: Upgrading my PC

Postby dhope » Mon Jan 07, 2013 15:59 pm

Windows 7 is better than XP. Windows 8 is faster than 7, whether it's better is down to what you think of the UI.
If you can stick stuff you want to keep on another disk and do a clean install then all the better.

Actually, what really would make sense is to spend another 60 quid and get a 128GB SSD then stick Windows 8 on that. Honestly, it'll fly by comparison. Do it.
Canyon Inflite
Condor Tempo

User avatar
DonDaddyD
Posts: 12032
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:58 pm

Re: Upgrading my PC

Postby DonDaddyD » Mon Jan 07, 2013 16:07 pm

dhope wrote:Windows 7 is better than XP. Windows 8 is faster than 7, whether it's better is down to what you think of the UI.
If you can stick stuff you want to keep on another disk and do a clean install then all the better.

Actually, what really would make sense is to spend another 60 quid and get a 128GB SSD then stick Windows 8 on that. Honestly, it'll fly by comparison. Do it.

The clean install seems to be the best way forward. So now I need to acquire a 64bit 7 or 8 disc.
I will get one of them fandangled SSDs in time, probably the next PC build though. (Unless my rig can't handle Guild Wars 2 and/or Elder Scrolls Online, which will mean PC replacement will become second on my list - top is pre-resevered for whatever lil'un wants).
Last edited by DonDaddyD on Mon Jan 07, 2013 16:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Food Chain number = 4



A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

User avatar
vermin
Posts: 1698
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:43 pm

Re: Upgrading my PC

Postby vermin » Mon Jan 07, 2013 16:08 pm

Hindsight says check compatible driver availability for all your peripherals before switching to 8. I've lost the ability to connect to my bluetooth music receiver. :roll:

hegyestomi
Posts: 738
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 16:44 pm

Re: Upgrading my PC

Postby hegyestomi » Mon Jan 07, 2013 17:07 pm

I would also recommend one SATA3 SSD (if your mobo can handle it), it can give you a boot under 15sec.
Also there is an extension for Win7 32 bit to use all the memory available, google it.
Can only use 4GB/ running application but in my opinion that is plenty.

User avatar
dhope
Posts: 6131
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 16:15 pm

Re: Upgrading my PC

Postby dhope » Mon Jan 07, 2013 17:16 pm

DonDaddyD wrote:
dhope wrote:Windows 7 is better than XP. Windows 8 is faster than 7, whether it's better is down to what you think of the UI.
If you can stick stuff you want to keep on another disk and do a clean install then all the better.

Actually, what really would make sense is to spend another 60 quid and get a 128GB SSD then stick Windows 8 on that. Honestly, it'll fly by comparison. Do it.

The clean install seems to be the best way forward. So now I need to acquire a 64bit 7 or 8 disc.
I will get one of them fandangled SSDs in time, probably the next PC build though. (Unless my rig can't handle Guild Wars 2 and/or Elder Scrolls Online, which will mean PC replacement will become second on my list - top is pre-resevered for whatever lil'un wants).

If you were just getting a small SSD, 60GB or 120GB then it'd just be for the OS. It makes an huge difference to general PC use though. Far moreso than a CPU or memory update. CPU and GPU for games, SSD for Windows.
They're not newfangled anymore at all, it's well into the reasonable pricerange, I got a 60GB one a couple of years back for about £200, they're about 30 quid now...
Canyon Inflite
Condor Tempo

User avatar
Kieran_Burns
Posts: 9834
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 13:14 pm

Re: Upgrading my PC

Postby Kieran_Burns » Mon Jan 07, 2013 17:20 pm

and if your build disc is on a USB / SSD the install takes minutes. It really is blinding.

I'd recommend a SSD myself. build with just the SSD in then reconnect the existing 1Tb disk. Although again: tbh discs are so damn cheap nowadays I'd just buy a 1 / 2Tb disk as well. Keep the old 1Tb as the back up and migrate the data across.
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

User avatar
Daz555
Posts: 3931
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 14:59 pm

Re: Upgrading my PC

Postby Daz555 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 17:21 pm

SteppenHerring wrote:1. Is your hardware actually 64bit?
2. Don't use Windows 8
3. Don't try to upgrade 32 to 64. As D0 says, back it all up (which you do anyway, right?) and reinstall from scratch. Then if you do have incompatible hardware or summat goes wrong you can revert
4. Don't use Windows 8
5. Actually Windows 8 might suit you

Intel and AMD have not released desktop/laptop 32bit processor since about 2005 iirc.

You can't upgrade from 32bit to 64bit Windows even if someone wanted to, so a clean install is the only option.

Nowt wrong with Windows 8 - assuming all your hardware and software works with it. It is so similar to Windows 7 however that compatibility problems are rare - much rarer than XP to Vista upgrade for example.
You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.

User avatar
Kieran_Burns
Posts: 9834
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 13:14 pm

Re: Upgrading my PC

Postby Kieran_Burns » Mon Jan 07, 2013 17:22 pm

cough

and

cough again

or 64Gb ssd: here £47
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

User avatar
bushu
Posts: 677
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 02:34 am

Re: Upgrading my PC

Postby bushu » Mon Jan 07, 2013 17:52 pm

Clean install of Win 7 or linux x64.. don't entertain windows 8!

User avatar
dhope
Posts: 6131
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 16:15 pm

Re: Upgrading my PC

Postby dhope » Mon Jan 07, 2013 18:21 pm

bushu wrote:Clean install of Win 7 or linux x64.. don't entertain windows 8!

Windows 8 is fine, depends if you want to trade off a slightly different/crap start menu for a slightly faster OS
Canyon Inflite
Condor Tempo

User avatar
Asprilla
Posts: 6965
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 15:31 pm

Re: Upgrading my PC

Postby Asprilla » Mon Jan 07, 2013 18:57 pm

I love windows 8. The UI is great if you have a touch screen or multi-touch trackpad.

I've got it on a Samsung Series 9 Ultrabook and I wouldn't go back to 7 or OSX.

User avatar
Ouija
Posts: 1396
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 20:41 pm

Re: Upgrading my PC

Postby Ouija » Mon Jan 07, 2013 19:21 pm

Buy a small SSD, stick windows 7 on it. It will automatically detect and create a start up menu when you boot allowing you to boot into Windows 7 or your old XP. That way, there's no need to backup and you've still got your old XP while your acclimatizing to Windows 7.

User avatar
cookdn
Posts: 395
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2011 16:05 pm

Re: Upgrading my PC

Postby cookdn » Mon Jan 07, 2013 21:57 pm

DonDaddyD wrote:I have a 32bit version of Windows 7.
I want a 64bit operating system and would be willing to upgrade to either Win 7 or 8 64bit.

Can I use this or is it just a Windows 8 overlay installed ontop of 7 so if I have the 32bit I'll be stuck with that. Is the only way to fully upgrade to a 64bit operaing system to go for the full version?

Thanks in advance, and happy new year.


Microsoft have an offer on the download version. The 'upgrade' to Windows 8 Pro is £25 until 31 January (no checking of validity, you can use it for a clean install). I bought one and they simply email a installation key on payment. More details here.
Boardman CX Team

SteppenHerring
Posts: 694
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 19:49 pm

Re: Upgrading my PC

Postby SteppenHerring » Mon Jan 07, 2013 22:41 pm

Asprilla wrote:... The UI is great if you have a touch screen or multi-touch trackpad...

And if you have a nice dual monitor setup that isn't touchscreen then it's crap.
mroli wrote:(Michel) Roux has the scary eyes of an inner Begbie...


Return to “Commuting Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: fleehouse2 and 6 guests