Glasgow 2014 - Road Race / TT

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
paulcuthbert

Glasgow 2014 - Road Race / TT

Postby paulcuthbert » Mon Jan 07, 2013 14:13 pm

Hi,

Is there any information on the courses for the Commonwealth Games Road or TT races for Glasgow 2014 yet?

disgruntledgoat

Re: Glasgow 2014 - Road Race / TT

Postby disgruntledgoat » Mon Jan 07, 2013 14:41 pm

Paul,

I have a little info on the TT course as it is proposed. I can't really say anything on here, but it looks to be in the city and to the north and east.

The start finish for both TT and RR will be Glasgow Green.
"In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent

thegreatdivide

Postby thegreatdivide » Mon Jan 07, 2013 15:58 pm

They should be made to ride up Gardner Street...three times ;-)
"Crevaison sur les paves..."

Blazing Saddles

Postby Blazing Saddles » Mon Jan 07, 2013 16:13 pm

As it stands, there'll be no women's team events on the track.
Not that it matters, here.
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

paulcuthbert

Postby paulcuthbert » Mon Jan 07, 2013 16:42 pm

Oh that's interesting about the TT.

I hope the Road Race will take in the Campsie Fells or the Braes to the south. While not as long as climbs in the Tour or Giro, they're pretty steep so the hopefully the pace would slow considerably and be better viewing/racing. I think leaving from George Square in Glasgow, going through Bishopbriggs, Kirkintilloch going up the Tak-Ma-Doon out of Kilsyth, along the Carron Valley Resevoir, down the Crow Road to Lennoxtown, then Strathblane, Milngavie, Clydebank, over the Erskine Bridge and returning to Glasgow via the Gleniffer Braes south of Paisley. I think that'd be a great route. Just mapped it on British Cycling Mapping and it's 170km

disgruntledgoat

Postby disgruntledgoat » Mon Jan 07, 2013 16:51 pm

paulcuthbert wrote:Oh that's interesting about the TT.

I hope the Road Race will take in the Campsie Fells or the Braes to the south. While not as long as climbs in the Tour or Giro, they're pretty steep so the hopefully the pace would slow considerably and be better viewing/racing. I think leaving from George Square in Glasgow, going through Bishopbriggs, Kirkintilloch going up the Tak-Ma-Doon out of Kilsyth, along the Carron Valley Resevoir, down the Crow Road to Lennoxtown, then Strathblane, Milngavie, Clydebank, over the Erskine Bridge and returning to Glasgow via the Gleniffer Braes south of Paisley. I think that'd be a great route. Just mapped it on British Cycling Mapping and it's 170km

Wouldn't get your hopes up! I think they want to keep as much as possible within the city limits. As I said, start and finish will be on Glasgow Green.
"In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent

ozzzyosborn206

Postby ozzzyosborn206 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 18:42 pm

i heard a rumour that the road race course is flatter than you'd expect for Scotland, almost Kermesse like, which would make for good spectating roadside, maybe not so good on tele
Last edited by ozzzyosborn206 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 17:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Omar Little

Postby Omar Little » Mon Jan 07, 2013 19:01 pm

Are cyclists (in terms of those involved in the sport who have organised road races etc) designing the route or is just Glasgow Life deciding what is going to be good?

Bit disappointed if it will be all in the city, one of the great things about Glasgow is how close it is the country side and hills which would be a big selling point not just from a cycling fan viewing perspective but from a attracting tourism too.

My big fear is it will be like a crit around the east end :lol:

Captain Fagor

Postby Captain Fagor » Mon Jan 07, 2013 20:25 pm

paulcuthbert wrote:Oh that's interesting about the TT.

I think leaving from George Square in Glasgow, going through Bishopbriggs, Kirkintilloch going up the Tak-Ma-Doon out of Kilsyth, along the Carron Valley Resevoir, down the Crow Road to Lennoxtown, then Strathblane, Milngavie, Clydebank, over the Erskine Bridge and returning to Glasgow via the Gleniffer Braes south of Paisley.

Aren't you forgetting about the cobbled burn on the descent of the Tak-Ma-Doon? Sending an international RR without the local knowledge down that road would probably be an accident waiting to happen.

Good luck to them trying to find some decent road surfaces! :evil:

adr82

Postby adr82 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 21:49 pm

Captain Fagor wrote:Good luck to them trying to find some decent road surfaces! :evil:

Exactly, although if this leads to some long overdue resurfacing work before the games start I won't be complaining.

Omar Little wrote:My big fear is it will be like a crit around the east end :lol:

Dodging neds and broken glass... fun! :)

disgruntledgoat

Postby disgruntledgoat » Mon Jan 07, 2013 22:22 pm

As I understand it, the courses are designed by the sport section organising committee (my employer) with oversight from the technical committee of the UCI and input from Glasgow City Council, Strathclyde police etc.

East end regeneration is a big part of the strategy so would be expecting it to lean in that direction, plus it would give the police an easier ride if they could just shut off a few streets and not bother with a rolling road closure at what will be their busiest time in years. I should add that, very limited knowledge of the TT course aside, I have no insight into the plans.

I would also add that I was out over the two campsie climbs mentioned on Sunday and I wouldn't take a 3/4 race over them at present.

@gietvangent

adr82

Postby adr82 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 23:02 pm

disgruntledgoat wrote:I would also add that I was out over the two campsie climbs mentioned on Sunday and I wouldn't take a 3/4 race over them at present.

How's the north side of the Crow Road looking at the moment? Haven't been out there for a few months but it wasn't in great shape back in the autumn to put it mildly. Not so bad if you're going up it but wouldn't want to be going down it particularly fast...

disgruntledgoat

Postby disgruntledgoat » Tue Jan 08, 2013 08:07 am

i
adr82 wrote:
disgruntledgoat wrote:I would also add that I was out over the two campsie climbs mentioned on Sunday and I wouldn't take a 3/4 race over them at present.

How's the north side of the Crow Road looking at the moment? Haven't been out there for a few months but it wasn't in great shape back in the autumn to put it mildly. Not so bad if you're going up it but wouldn't want to be going down it particularly fast...

I've been over the crow both ways since Christmas and would say the surface on your side of the road as you descend towards Fintry isnt so bad... until you get to the dangerous bit at the bottom where it is sketchy. I think if you tried to take an international road race down it you'd have a mutiny. The Carron Valley road was, as per usual, a joke.

@gietvangent

IanLD

Postby IanLD » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:55 pm

Would keep big Al busy at wheelcraft if they used those roads!

At least there will be a chance to see the RR and TT - not so sure about getting back in to the velodrome after the struggle to get tickets for November's world cup...

paulcuthbert

Postby paulcuthbert » Wed Jan 09, 2013 02:08 am

IanLD wrote:Would keep big Al busy at wheelcraft if they used those roads!

At least there will be a chance to see the RR and TT - not so sure about getting back in to the velodrome after the struggle to get tickets for November's world cup...

It'll probably be even more difficult for the Games. Saying that, I didn't have a problem getting tickets for all 3 days in November. Love my BC membership!

Alan A

Postby Alan A » Fri Jan 18, 2013 15:22 pm

Any news yet on either the route or the date of the test event? Unsure whether it's the Nationals or not.

disgruntledgoat

Postby disgruntledgoat » Fri Jan 18, 2013 15:52 pm

Alan A wrote:Any news yet on either the route or the date of the test event? Unsure whether it's the Nationals or not.

I've seen the proposed route for the RR and it is indeed a city race on a 14km circuit taking in the city centre, west end and starting and finishing on Glasgow Green. You'll also see some of the steep hills to the west of the city centre. On the QT, you understand.

@gietvangent

Alan A

Postby Alan A » Fri Jan 18, 2013 16:27 pm

Good, so they've gone for the show off the city's crown jewels option.

I predict it roughly follows the city tour bus route or something roughly like http://goo.gl/maps/HFyU9

So we'll go past (in no particular order) Squinty bridge, Armadillo, Kelvingrove, Riverside Museum, School of Art, George Square, up West Campbell St, Candleriggs.

I'd love to see them go up Blythswood St or West Campbell St.

disgruntledgoat

Postby disgruntledgoat » Fri Jan 18, 2013 16:41 pm

Alan A wrote:Good, so they've gone for the show off the city's crown jewels option.

I predict it roughly follows the city tour bus route or something roughly like http://goo.gl/maps/HFyU9

So we'll go past (in no particular order) Squinty bridge, Armadillo, Kelvingrove, Riverside Museum, School of Art, George Square, up West Campbell St, Candleriggs.

I'd love to see them go up Blythswood St or West Campbell St.

You're not a million miles away. Some pedestrianised streets look likely to be included, some parks also.

@gietvangent

ozzzyosborn206

Postby ozzzyosborn206 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 16:48 pm

this is what i am led to believe

Alan A wrote:Any news yet on either the route or the date of the test event? Unsure whether it's the Nationals or not.

Return to “Pro Race”