The official TrainerRoad thread

When drugs don't work: training and health tips!
User avatar
Simmotino
Posts: 291
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:15 pm

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby Simmotino » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:16 pm

Hey, no ridicule here! ;)

User avatar
jotko
Posts: 451
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 00:39 am

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby jotko » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:57 pm

Simmotino wrote:Hey, no ridicule here! ;)


Ha ha, lets see how much I use the bucket first.

Anyway, a low number will obviously be due to the inherent inaccuracies of virtual power, a high number will definitely be due to my raw athleticism.

AndrewGilbert
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 13:12 pm

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby AndrewGilbert » Mon Jan 07, 2013 13:39 pm

Bought a secondhand road bike in April this year and recently bought Kurt Kinetic Road Machine and signed up to TR and have just completed Base1 using an FTP of 192 based upon my intial 8 minute test.

I think that I might have taken this first test too easy as my latest test has my FTP at 235. I would love to claim that I have improved my FTP by 22% but reckon that at least half of this must be down to an improvement in my ability to assess what I can maintain. I have a sneaking suspicion that the next 6 weeks sessions are going to be a lot harder and that the fan is going to have to be cranked up a speed or two.

User avatar
Simmotino
Posts: 291
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:15 pm

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby Simmotino » Mon Jan 07, 2013 15:23 pm

Some of it *will* be improvement but yes, certainly there will be an element of mental 'tuning' and regain of form taken place. I had the same thing myself very recently (23% increase from first test) and it's not all improvement.

Still take heart from the increase though as the 6 weeks of work previously will undoubtedly have contributed to the rise.

Oh, and the next 6 weeks will be harder! :wink: :D

ETA: Welcome to the forum!

User avatar
kleinstroker
Posts: 955
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 16:01 pm

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby kleinstroker » Mon Jan 07, 2013 19:18 pm

Did Carson today and really liked it, as it was a nice change of pace from the usual 95+ cadence. I think i'll be doing this one again, as I need all the help I can with climbing practice.

http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/149237
My Men 2016: Julian Alaphilippe, Romain Bardet, Mikael Cherel, Tom Dumoulin, Tony Gallopin, Mikel Landa, Ritchie Porte, Zdenek Stybar, Alejandro Valverde

Bokoshoko
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 18:21 pm

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby Bokoshoko » Tue Jan 08, 2013 07:14 am

Need some opinions if possible...

I completed the Novice Century Low Volume plan prior to Christmas, took a week off, then did a FTP test. Since then I've been doing 2 threshold sessions, 1 sweet spot and 1 endurance session per week. That's around 5 and a bit hours and around 360TSS.

I like the structure imposed by following a specific plan but would appreciate some thoughts on which plan to go to now or whether I should just stick to what I'm currently doing.

Goals are simple; lose weight, cope with 100 mile event(s), ride up some big mountain in France later in the year.

TIA

User avatar
MarkP80
Posts: 414
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 07:08 am

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby MarkP80 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 08:47 am

Did anyone receive the email from Sufferfest about the Tour of Sufferlandria later this month, and is anyone planning to give it a go? Sounds like an interesting TrainerRoad challenge! (although I can't personally join in, thankfully).

From the emial -

Full Schedule:
Saturday, Jan 26th: Hell Hath No Fury
Sunday, Jan 27th: The Hunted
Monday, Jan 28th: Extra Shot + Fight Club
Tuesday, Jan 29th: A Very Dark Place
Wednesday, Jan 30th: Angels
Thursday, Jan 31st: The Wretched + The Long Scream
Friday, Feb 1st: The Downward Spiral
Saturday, Feb 2nd: There is No Try + Revolver
Sunday, Feb 3rd: Local Hero
As we said, we'll send you more details in the near future and also post them on our Facebook page. But, in short, to join the ToS, you must simply commit to following the schedule above and ride yourself into the ground each day. Join the community on our Facebook page for inspiration in those dark moments between stages to hear and share stories of HONOR GLORY AND VICTORY.

Although you can do it on your own, those who complete and register their 9 days with our partner, TrainerRoad.com, will be be eligible for daily prizes and thrown into a pool of prizes from the 'fest, TrainerRoad and others at the end of the event.

Cheers,
MarkP
Boardman Road Comp - OK, I went to Halfords
Tibia plateau fracture - the rehab continues!

ManxShred
Posts: 234
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 07:50 am

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby ManxShred » Tue Jan 08, 2013 08:54 am

I saw that, no chance I will do it. Way too much hard work!
Road - Volagi Liscio
MTB - Santa Cruz TallBoy

User avatar
jotko
Posts: 451
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 00:39 am

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby jotko » Tue Jan 08, 2013 09:20 am

Got my ANT+ USB yesterday and now have my setup all working, was very easy actually, was expecting more fiddling around.

I am 'working from home' today so will try and do the 20 minute FTP this afternoon - I am actually quite scared.

User avatar
Simmotino
Posts: 291
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:15 pm

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby Simmotino » Tue Jan 08, 2013 09:24 am

jotko wrote:Got my ANT+ USB yesterday and now have my setup all working, was very easy actually, was expecting more fiddling around.

I am 'working from home' today so will try and do the 20 minute FTP this afternoon - I am actually quite scared.


Good luck! As they'll tell you during the ride, the most important thing to remember is - Don't go out too hard! :wink:

User avatar
GiantMike
Posts: 3162
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 09:41 am

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby GiantMike » Tue Jan 08, 2013 09:31 am

MarkP80 wrote:Did anyone receive the email from Sufferfest about the Tour of Sufferlandria later this month, and is anyone planning to give it a go? Sounds like an interesting TrainerRoad challenge! (although I can't personally join in, thankfully).

From the emial -

Full Schedule:
Saturday, Jan 26th: Hell Hath No Fury
Sunday, Jan 27th: The Hunted
Monday, Jan 28th: Extra Shot + Fight Club
Tuesday, Jan 29th: A Very Dark Place
Wednesday, Jan 30th: Angels
Thursday, Jan 31st: The Wretched + The Long Scream
Friday, Feb 1st: The Downward Spiral
Saturday, Feb 2nd: There is No Try + Revolver
Sunday, Feb 3rd: Local Hero


If you do these workouts properly it's unlikely you'd be able to complete all 9 days. I thought the that Sufferfests were supposed to be done when you were rested because they are designed to take a lot out of you. By day 5 most riders would be mediocre at best.
my power improvement experiment blog

Rule number 100: It's your bike and your money and your time; do what you like with it and ignore other peoples' rules. Except this one.

User avatar
MarkP80
Posts: 414
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 07:08 am

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby MarkP80 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:38 am

GiantMike wrote:
MarkP80 wrote:Did anyone receive the email from Sufferfest about the Tour of Sufferlandria later this month, and is anyone planning to give it a go? Sounds like an interesting TrainerRoad challenge! (although I can't personally join in, thankfully).


If you do these workouts properly it's unlikely you'd be able to complete all 9 days. I thought the that Sufferfests were supposed to be done when you were rested because they are designed to take a lot out of you. By day 5 most riders would be mediocre at best.

- I can't disagree with you there Mike, I struggle to do a single Sufferfest at 100%, let alone attempting nine on consecutive days. I just wondered if anyone on here was giving it a go, seeing as they are linking it with TrainerRoad.

MarkP
Boardman Road Comp - OK, I went to Halfords
Tibia plateau fracture - the rehab continues!

User avatar
MarkP80
Posts: 414
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 07:08 am

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby MarkP80 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:41 am

jotko wrote:I am 'working from home' today so will try and do the 20 minute FTP this afternoon - I am actually quite scared.

- Great! Are you going to try one of the plans?
Boardman Road Comp - OK, I went to Halfords
Tibia plateau fracture - the rehab continues!

User avatar
jotko
Posts: 451
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 00:39 am

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby jotko » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:32 am

MarkP80 wrote:
jotko wrote:I am 'working from home' today so will try and do the 20 minute FTP this afternoon - I am actually quite scared.

- Great! Are you going to try one of the plans?


Thats the idea - going to do the Base 1 plan I think.

It actually has the 8 min FTP test as the first workout, but trainer road website seems to recommend the 20 min test first.

My miles have dropped to almost zero over last few weeks so whichever one I do is going to be a wake up call!

User avatar
shazzz
Posts: 1682
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 18:02 pm

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby shazzz » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:45 pm

jotko wrote:
MarkP80 wrote:
jotko wrote:I am 'working from home' today so will try and do the 20 minute FTP this afternoon - I am actually quite scared.

- Great! Are you going to try one of the plans?


Thats the idea - going to do the Base 1 plan I think.

It actually has the 8 min FTP test as the first workout, but trainer road website seems to recommend the 20 min test first.

My miles have dropped to almost zero over last few weeks so whichever one I do is going to be a wake up call!


I always do the 20min test rather than the 8min test. It's what "the book" suggests (with caveats I know), and it seems logical to me that the longer the test is, the more likely you are to get an accurate reflection of FTP.

User avatar
jotko
Posts: 451
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 00:39 am

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby jotko » Tue Jan 08, 2013 13:40 pm

Well, I just did the 8 minute test and managed to avoid needing the bucket (just)

Here it is - http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/150262

Despite being told not to go out too hard, I, err, went out too hard lol. The 2nd 8 minutes was better paced but I had nothing left at the end.

FTP comes out at 204, LTHR 165

That is first proper workout for ages so I am sure I can do better, hopefully once I get through the base 1 program I should see a good improvement.

Cheers for encouragement anyway, great thread!

User avatar
Simmotino
Posts: 291
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:15 pm

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby Simmotino » Tue Jan 08, 2013 13:45 pm

Good work and yes, looks like you went out just a little too hard! :wink: More consistent on the second interval though, so adjusted well.

Good luck with the Base I. I'll wager you'll be hooked inside a week! :mrgreen:

User avatar
jotko
Posts: 451
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 00:39 am

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby jotko » Tue Jan 08, 2013 14:09 pm

Simmotino wrote:Good work and yes, looks like you went out just a little too hard! :wink: More consistent on the second interval though, so adjusted well.

Good luck with the Base I. I'll wager you'll be hooked inside a week! :mrgreen:


Yes - first time I have done anything like this so need to get used to pacing myself. My heroic dash for the line on the first 8 min interval ended in utter failure with about 10 seconds left, ha ha.

Gayley up next, will have a crack at that on Thurs. I have 5-saide football tomorrow so that should be ideal preperation.... ouch.

User avatar
Simmotino
Posts: 291
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:15 pm

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby Simmotino » Tue Jan 08, 2013 14:19 pm

Hey, I've done two of them now (20 minute variants) and I can't pace myself either, so not a big problem! ;)

ChrisSA
Posts: 574
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 15:11 pm

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby ChrisSA » Tue Jan 08, 2013 21:55 pm

I was all set for the 20 minute test tonight, and the power kept fluctuating....then disappeared. Looks like the cadence sensor was on the way out, and now it's toast. I'll have to retry tomorrow with the sensor from the other bike.
Bah!


Return to “Training, Fitness and Health”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Hdow, shmooster and 2 guests